Local Tech/Repair Resource:

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Re: Local Tech/Repair Resource:

Post by Voice Of Reason »

Canadian members, feel free to add to this thread. Some issues can be worked on by several techs if you provide adequate info. However, I cannot recommend serious Fly work* to be handled by a local tech.

* Serious work: working with the PCB, restoration, trem work, most mods (unless using PTP wiring for electronics).

I’ve dealt with enough (former) Parker Authorized Repair Facilities that were clueless about pre-refined Flys (i.e. even when the company was still around).

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the Canadian distribution (and not special order availability) coincided with the sale to USM. I am unaware of (Canadian) retail with in-store stock during the Ken era. This does not mean it was the case. However, the distribution would have been much more limited.

One may have more luck servicing refined instruments if the work/repair is not too complex. There are much fewer techs experienced in servicing the original Fly… and not everyone is willing to learn. Being able to troubleshoot and do many misc adjustments is a must IMO.

I wouldn’t let any tech touch my Fly (that sounds wrong) without, at the very least, forwarding the manual.
N.b. I have had successful fret levelling done by a local tech (communication and instructions were very clear). I now do my own setups (results vary greatly out there, however a basic setup is realistic).
1998 Fly Classic
Vantasner

Post by Vantasner »

Someone could hit me up with Fly issues if they wanted. I have a shop in the Montreal area. I believe I did a full rewire for a member of this board but I'm not sure of his handle.
I can't really go into too much detail but VJ could possibly confirm that I've had somewhat of a relationship with the Parker instruments and have handled one or two throughout the years.

VDM - folks call me Doc
~I'm just people that know people~
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Vantasner wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:30 pm …VJ could possibly confirm…
Confirmed 😎 😊 Thanks, Doc 🤙🙏
chrisandrews

Post by chrisandrews »

Thank you for the mention.

Currently working for PRS Guitars Europe in the UK but still doing the odd other branded repair. I still have many Parker Parts such as fret wire, step stops, stainless trem arm bushings etc.

Feel free to get in touch and hopefully i can be of some help on the forum with questions.

Thanks
Chris

Insta: @_the.captain_
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Much appreciated, @chrisandrews. I encourage you to contribute any thoughts you may have when browsing discussions, including correcting whatever nonsense I may have put out there.

Are the stainless arm bushings you have hexagonal, or round?
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
chrisandrews

Post by chrisandrews »

They are the Hex bushings, all stainless with corresponding anchor nut. Unfortunately i don have any trem arms to suit.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

chrisandrews wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:40 am They are the Hex bushings, all stainless with corresponding anchor nut. Unfortunately i don have any trem arms to suit.
This is still very helpful - Fly owners can fabricate new hex arms much easier than they can the bushings; and we occasionally get posters trying to source them. Thank you.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Peaches
Fly Clone Research Team Member

Post by Peaches »

Hi everyone,

I've just made a post offering my services with electronic repair and replacement flex PCB swap service. If this is something you're looking for, please check it out.

Thanks!