Leaning Post

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Gregsaab

Leaning Post

Post by Gregsaab »

I had been posting on the FAQ post, but moving here as this may get lengthy.

Context:
Discovered that my Mojo’s bridge was able to be manually moved on the bass side (with strings off). Was, also, having some tuning stability/intonation issues.

I ordered stabilizer rings and I disassembled the Mojo only to find that there are already rings in it…

So now I’m not sure what to do.

The posts on the bridge seem quite loose, should they be like that?

Relevant videos:
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B1AJr1PPdJFgvzi

Edit: seems that the stabilizer that are in there may have a slightly larger internal diameter than the new stabilizer rings…would need calipers to verify.

Edit #2: the bushing itself is loose - when I move the bridge I can see the bushing moving from the back. Based on Billy’s doc, I can try to misalign the bushing to cut new path, or add white glue. The saga continues.
1998 Deluxe in Dusty Black
1999 Deluxe in Emerald Green
2011 Mojo in Transparent Red [sold]
billy
Forum Veteran

Re: Leaning Post

Post by billy »

Hard to say what’s happening without seeing the guitar, and your video only shows the post moving relative to the bridge.

Some of the usm Parker’s had bushing holes drilled a little bit wide relative to the bridge. This would allow some side to side movement but typically wasn’t a huge problem.

I’m not sure if your posts are moving too easily in a way that they shouldn’t.

So, speculative only comments:

It looks like someone may have drilled out the ring ID on the bass side. (Can’t really see the other side). Not sure why someone would do that unless there was some misalignment between the ring and the bushing ultimately preventing the post from going in.

So, might be worth installing the new rings anyway.

And only after the ring does what you want should you try to better anchor the bushing with a little glue. BTW If it’s very loose, then you might need a little more support than just white glue.

As for the posts moving easily, that’s usually good if they’re moving easily about the bearing’s rotational axis. If they are wobbly, then something else might be going on, such as someone installing the axle in backwards, a broken bearing, a bad post, etc etc.

Probably nothing is wrong but need more info.
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

Just did a full reset of vibrato and tuning is good. I believe that the actual issue was that the spring was not tightened enough. I had been able to bend up with vibrato, even when in down-only. This was the causing tuning issues when using vibrato, as tension was not correctly returning to the ‘home’ position.

‘Leaning post’ was was a red herring. If anyone needs a ring let me know, I have three of them.
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

billy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:53 pm Hard to say what’s happening without seeing the guitar, and your video only shows the post moving relative to the bridge.
There are two videos - the other shows me moving the bridge when strings were off. Could you look at that one too and let me know if it indicates an issue?
billy
Forum Veteran

Post by billy »

Ah, didn’t notice the second video. I see a little bit of the bearing showing between the bass side of the bridge and the post but personally I wouldn’t worry about it.

Some people had it slide back and forth enough that they added a 1mm thick square profile oring between the bearing and the post. Unfortunately I don’t remember more of the details but I’d try to find something that would split the difference. The key I think is having the right od to fit into the post but a big enough Id to not interfere with the bearings internal sleeve.
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...