Battery compartment "in body" cover

Sources for Cloned and Replacement Fly Parts
Big Swifty
Forum Veteran

Re: Battery compartment "in body" cover

Post by Big Swifty »

:lol:

Well @vjmanzo, I lost my coin a few years ago, so if you do find one, it's mine!!

Definitely.

Guarantee it.

You owe me.

:D

B.S.

How the hell do you get the "@soandso" to turn purple/notify?
The system can't get you in your dreams.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

vjmanzo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:21 pm the live music scene is in such a bad way financially right now, I’m having trouble finding a coin to unscrew my battery compartment! :lol:
KILLING ME!

Pretty much all of the arts are a mess for the future as far as I can see, but nobody seems to be unloading their rare fly stash, so I guess we were correct, they are all in the hands of collectors!

Meanwhile, I will play ii-v-i or even the girl from ipanema on my fly for $2.
just plain lost
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hahahaha
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

vjmanzo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:21 pm Great thoughts, @Big Swifty.

But, ya know, the live music scene is in such a bad way financially right now, I’m having trouble finding a coin to unscrew my battery compartment! :lol:
you're lucky! You've got a fresh battery to install!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

DavidE

Post by DavidE »

vjmanzo wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:21 pm Cool workaround! Makes sense. Thanks for the thoughts on this; we'll kick the idea around a bit.

Thanks for the offer about the cover--we have the cover modeled and I'm actually going to 3D print a few of those in the next couple weeks (anyone need one?! I seem to recall someone on the OF mentioning they needed one :| ). Does "the piece it fits into" you're referring to include frame that goes around it? We haven't modeled that or the thing that goes inside the body yet; I may PM you about that at some point.
I could actually use a cover. The Fly Deluxe I just picked up has holes drilled in the part. Is it possible to get a replacement?

Thanks
DavidE

Post by DavidE »

jb63 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:08 pm I have an extra battery cover with the piece it fits into, all removed and cleaned up if you need to use it for fabricating something new.
BUT...
I have never ever had to change a battery mid-set. Mostly because I'm obsessive and keep testing them. I still haven't moved to rechargeable, though!

The biggest issue I have is pulling the battery out. It tends to get a little stuck and I have to shake it and slap the fly to get it out enough to get a grip on it. I solved this problem by using an actual ribbon slip around it, between the connector snaps, when sliding the battery into the cavity and then when i open the cover, just grab the ribbon and it pulls right out.

Pics on demand!
Any interest in selling your extra if you still have it?

Thanks
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @DavidE; we're working on making some more of these parts available, but have mostly been focusing on springs and flex PCBs these days. We hope to post some updates soon, but in the meantime it might be best to try to trade/barter/buy the missing part as you suggested in your most recent post.
blake457

Post by blake457 »

How do I order one of these? Thanks in advance
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

blake457 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:03 pm How do I order one of these? Thanks in advance
They're not yet available. Is the battery door for a '90s Fly the only part you're trying to source?
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
billy
Forum Veteran

Post by billy »

I realized I never answered the snap tabs question.

I think squeeze snaps could be a good idea. I’m not sure the cavity has an appropriate lip to provide a catch, but that could be added without too much trouble.

However atm I’m thinking that neodymium magnets might be a good way to do this, with maybe a fingernail notch on the side of the cover to allow a way to pry it off. The existing screw holes could be used for a set screw to stick the magnet to.

Apologies if someone already mentioned that somewhere.
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

billy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:24 am I’m not sure the cavity has an appropriate lip to provide a catch, but that could be added without too much trouble.
We started barking up that tree and decided to go the magnet route in lieu of adding something.
billy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:24 am I’m thinking that neodymium magnets might be a good way to do this, with maybe a fingernail notch on the side of the cover to allow a way to pry it off.
Great minds, Billy! 😍 We have a design that involves magnetizing the screw that goes in the insert—hoping to make some headway on that soon too!
billy
Forum Veteran

Post by billy »

Awesome VJ! I think there are certain types of SS that are magnetic already. But a regular black oxide steel set screw should fit the existing holes in the body, and without the head you can adjust the depth as needed.
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...
Soloaxer
Forum Veteran

Post by Soloaxer »

There is this great product if you can find one. It is the Keith McMillen Batt-O-Meter. It's very small and besides testing all kinds of small batteries, it has a short cable with a 1/4" male connector to slip right into you input jack and it will test your battery just like that. Coolest thing ever. There is a PDF at this link so you can see it. It's definitely made my Fly life easier, including my Ibanez basses with no battery access boxes.

https://support.keithmcmillen.com/hc/en ... ter-Manual
!Attitude Determines Altitude!
Mr.Burns

Post by Mr.Burns »

Hi, I'm new here. I have seen this compartment in status "modelled" and because I have lost the compartment of my nightfly I want to ask if and where I can download the file for 3d-printing?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Welcome, @Mr.Burns! You can view that page here.