Signal Out of Phase w/Volume Pot

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Kriss

Re: Signal Out of Phase w/Volume Pot

Post by Kriss »

Patzag wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:03 am
Kriss wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:48 am
mmmguitar wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:13 pm I'm afraid my impression remains "Clapton 'woman' tone." To my ears, it simply sounds like a medium-output neck humbucker with the tone control all the way down.
In that case what would be the smartest way to recreate this with some "tool" in my effect chain, without having to use the tone pot every time, especially when playing rhythm on the bridged pickups.
I also would like to say Big Thank You to you and everyone who helped with their opinions in this!!!
If you can make a clean recording of all strings played together with the tone knob wide open and another rolled off and send them to me, I'll make a block in the FM9 that duplicates that behavior and send it to you,
Yeah, that would be superbo !!! Let me see what I can do in the next few days.
Kriss

Post by Kriss »

Patzag wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:03 am
Kriss wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:48 am
mmmguitar wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:13 pm I'm afraid my impression remains "Clapton 'woman' tone." To my ears, it simply sounds like a medium-output neck humbucker with the tone control all the way down.
In that case what would be the smartest way to recreate this with some "tool" in my effect chain, without having to use the tone pot every time, especially when playing rhythm on the bridged pickups.
I also would like to say Big Thank You to you and everyone who helped with their opinions in this!!!
If you can make a clean recording of all strings played together with the tone knob wide open and another rolled off and send them to me, I'll make a block in the FM9 that duplicates that behavior and send it to you,
Here is a short wav file of a clean Ab chord ( I am tuned ½ step down). Hope it will serve the purpose . Thanks beforehand for taking the time to do it.
Attachments
Achord, single coil.wav
both pickups abridged - mag switch at the middle
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 68 times
Kriss

Post by Kriss »

@vjmanzo While researching this "out of phase thing", I started to fool around with adjusting the bridge humbucker.
I seem to have problem with moving it up and down. Didn't find exactly this topic in the FAQ. Read the manual, but it didn't seem to work the way i think it should.Shall I start a new thread or shall i just ask here?
Thanks.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

@Kriss, I agree that Fly pickup adjustment is awkward and non-intuitive enough to steepen the initial learning curve. You're in good company:

Part 1:

Part 2:

mmmguitar wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:01 pm Fly pickups have a thin cushion of material glued to the baseplate, and you’ll compress this material by pushing down on it. Unscrew the two mounting screws until the pickup is free to move, push the pickup down to compress the cushion, then retighten the screws while keeping the pickup pushed down to the desired height. Note that there is little actual room to lower the pickup.

If you want the pickup even lower, remove the strings from the guitar, then loosen the pickup mounting screws until the pickup can be lifted up out of the rout. Turn the pickup over and remove the cushion by either peeling or prying it off, then replace the pickup and screw it back into place.

If, by chance, you're wanting to raise the pickups, then loosen the two mounting hex screws/polepieces until the pickup baseplate is disconnected from its mounting holes in the rout, lift the pickup to the desired height with one hand, then use the 3/32 allen key in your other hand to turn the mounting screws clockwise until they thread into the inserts in the rout. At that point, you can continue to hold the pickup at the desired height and screw the hex polepieces in until their tops are level and/or flush with the rest of your polepieces and/or the the face of the pickup.

For what it’s worth, the lack of pickup height adjustment may be my least favorite Fly quirk.
I'm unsure as to which topic hashtag VJ would feel is most applicable to Fly pickup adjustment, for future reference to these posts. I'll likely just move these posts to the thread I quoted, once enough time passes without replies.

#PickupIssues
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Kriss

Post by Kriss »

mmmguitar wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:32 pm @Kriss, I agree that Fly pickup adjustment is awkward and non-intuitive enough to steepen the initial learning curve. You're in good company:

mmmguitar wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:01 pm Fly pickups have a thin cushion of material glued to the baseplate, and you’ll compress this material by pushing down on it. Unscrew the two mounting screws until the pickup is free to move, push the pickup down to compress the cushion, then retighten the screws while keeping the pickup pushed down to the desired height. Note that there is little actual room to lower the pickup.

If you want the pickup even lower, remove the strings from the guitar, then loosen the pickup mounting screws until the pickup can be lifted up out of the rout. Turn the pickup over and remove the cushion by either peeling or prying it off, then replace the pickup and screw it back into place.

If, by chance, you're wanting to raise the pickups, then loosen the two mounting hex screws/polepieces until the pickup baseplate is disconnected from its mounting holes in the rout, lift the pickup to the desired height with one hand, then use the 3/32 allen key in your other hand to turn the mounting screws clockwise until they thread into the inserts in the rout. At that point, you can continue to hold the pickup at the desired height and screw the hex polepieces in until their tops are level and/or flush with the rest of your polepieces and/or the the face of the pickup.

For what it’s worth, the lack of pickup height adjustment may be my least favorite Fly quirk.
I'm unsure as to which topic hashtag VJ would feel is most applicable to Fly pickup adjustment, for future reference to these posts. I'll likely just move these posts to the thread I quoted, once enough time passes without replies.
Hi, thanks a lot.You answered all my questions. I've seen this video, and many many more-there's another one as well, where the whole pickup is removed.Didn't help much.Somehow I missed the info that you have to unscrew ALL THE WAY both of them in order to push down the pickup.I've started to think my guitar has been somehow altered, because as I tightened up the high E string screw,I had the feeling that the pickup goes down ?!!? and as I unscrew it it goes up. Somehow, without unscrewing all the way both screws I've managed to change my sound and it's not in a satisfactory way, so I already regret it, but... Anyway, I know now how it is supposed to be done and will experiment. Thanks again.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Kriss wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:59 pm Here is a short wav file of a clean Ab chord ( I am tuned ½ step down). Hope it will serve the purpose . Thanks beforehand for taking the time to do it.
Got it. It's VERY short, but I got enough info. I'll have the block ready soon ...
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Here you go. Try this filter block, right after the input block ...
Parker Tone EQ_20230227_142641.blk.zip
(744 Bytes) Downloaded 96 times
Kriss

Post by Kriss »

Patzag wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:28 pm Here you go. Try this filter block, right after the input block ...

Thaaanx big time. Will try it tomorrow afternoon. Can’t wait. Will let you know right away.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

No problem.
I could probably get closer with a longer sample with higher frequency content.
But this should get pretty close.
You can AB it yourself easily by bypassing and rolling off the tone, and adjust the filter parameters to taste.
Kriss

Post by Kriss »

Patzag wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:57 pm No problem.
I could probably get closer with a longer sample with higher frequency content.
But this should get pretty close.
You can AB it yourself easily by bypassing and rolling off the tone, and adjust the filter parameters to taste.
Hi, I actually tried that few days ago and it was quite close to some extent, but unfortunately I didn’t have that much time to play around with the frequencies. But I got the idea and as all simple things, I hit my forehead with the question:” why didn’t I think of this before?” 😀😀😀
Kriss

Post by Kriss »

Patzag wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:28 pm Here you go. Try this filter block, right after the input block ...

Hi, unfortunately the block can't be loaded, because it's saved with 4.01 version and I have 4.00. maybe you could post screenshots for me?
Or maybe we just leave it, I have already occupied quite much of your time. I got the idea and will try on my own. Thanks anyway for everything to everybody!!!
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

No problem ... Pretty basic:
Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 10.26.35.png
Kriss

Post by Kriss »

Patzag wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:27 am No problem ... Pretty basic:

Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 10.26.35.png
Thank you 🙏