My Coil Tap Mod for Three More Sounds

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Paul Marossy
Forum Veteran

Re: My Coil Tap Mod for Three More Sounds

Post by Paul Marossy »

Big Swifty wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:46 am Nice work @Paul Marossy !

But do tell...what's your problem with the vibrato?

B.S.
Huh? My vibrato is working fine… but I don’t really like the design of the arm - it’s too long. Very hard to do Jeff Beck type whammy stuff that is easy to do on a Strat.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Paul Marossy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:14 am

B.S.
Huh? My vibrato is working fine… but I don’t really like the design of the arm - it’s too long. Very hard to do Jeff Beck type whammy stuff that is easy to do on a Strat.
I bought a short arm on Ebay or somewhere like that some years back. Perfect! Deeper bends, more easily handled.
Paul you're such a tinkerer - just chop off the excess!
Paul Marossy
Forum Veteran

Post by Paul Marossy »

Patzag wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:37 am
Paul Marossy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:14 am

B.S.
I bought a short arm on Ebay or somewhere like that some years back. Perfect! Deeper bends, more easily handled.
Paul you're such a tinkerer - just chop off the excess!
Well I don't want to chop down an original one... I suppose I could track down a hex wench of the appropriate size and chop it down? You might've got yours from the Parker Guitars forum member called "908 SSP"? I remember he was making those back in the day... I think he was selling them on ebay too.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Paul Marossy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:44 am Well I don't want to chop down an original one... I suppose I could track down a hex wench of the appropriate size and chop it down? You might've got yours from the Parker Guitars forum member called "908 SSP"? I remember he was making those back in the day... I think he was selling them on ebay too.
I remember Alex well, but it was not him. I just don't remember who. I bought a set of three. Short, medium and long. I only use the short.
Paul Marossy
Forum Veteran

Post by Paul Marossy »

Patzag wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:33 am
Paul Marossy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:44 am Well I don't want to chop down an original one... I suppose I could track down a hex wench of the appropriate size and chop it down? You might've got yours from the Parker Guitars forum member called "908 SSP"? I remember he was making those back in the day... I think he was selling them on ebay too.
I remember Alex well, but it was not him. I just don't remember who. I bought a set of three. Short, medium and long. I only use the short.
How much shorter is that medium one compared to the original Parker one?
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Paul Marossy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:15 pm
Patzag wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:33 am
How much shorter is that medium one compared to the original Parker one?
Sorry I got confused. I pulled my spare parts:

I bought 2 short ones: one hex and one round for refined.
I also bought a regular sized Hex because my classic came without bar.

So what I have left is a bunch of refined whammy bars, 3 long and one short, and one long hex.
QuasiLupus

Post by QuasiLupus »

Hi, I‘m new here and have a question about the coil split option.

Is there a solution for splitting the coils with the magnetic vol pot? I also dont use the magnetic vol knob as Patzag does, but always the master vol knob. So is there a pull push pot that fits under the PCB to get the coil splitting?

Thanks Florian
Paul Marossy
Forum Veteran

Post by Paul Marossy »

QuasiLupus wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:21 am Hi, I‘m new here and have a question about the coil split option.

Is there a solution for splitting the coils with the magnetic vol pot? I also dont use the magnetic vol knob as Patzag does, but always the master vol knob. So is there a pull push pot that fits under the PCB to get the coil splitting?

Thanks Florian
That's why I put it in the master volume position. A push-pull pot is waaay to tall to fit under the PCB - it barely fits in the control cavity.
The only other option I know of is to drill a hole somewhere for a mini toggle switch, and it needs to be very small to fit under the PCB and not short stuff.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Excuse my profound ignorance, but isn't there a way to put a single toggle switch in the Mag Volume position that would coil tap both HBs? Even better, a 3 position switch could maybe switch between Series, Parallel and Tap?

Something like that?

https://www.parts-express.com/3PDT-Mini ... k8PoJ0NlDg

I don't know squat about electronics, but I thought this might be able to do the trick and fit in the cavity?
Paul Marossy
Forum Veteran

Post by Paul Marossy »

Patzag wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:55 pm Excuse my profound ignorance, but isn't there a way to put a single toggle switch in the Mag Volume position that would coil tap both HBs? Even better, a 3 position switch could maybe switch between Series, Parallel and Tap?

Something like that?

https://www.parts-express.com/3PDT-Mini ... k8PoJ0NlDg

I don't know squat about electronics, but I thought this might be able to do the trick and fit in the cavity?
Two problems I see:

1) Switch is too tall to fit under the PCB.
2) The hole required for the toggle switch is considerably smaller than the hole required for the mag pot and the
threaded part is likely too short to fit thru the body.

You can get an even smaller toggle switch than that but now the hole it goes thru is huge in comparison and the threaded part is far too short to fit thru the body.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

FWIW, I just use additional washers to make up the difference when mounting components with smaller shaft diameters. The shaft length and casing depth constraints created by the ribbon assembly certainly seem like a headache to shop for (which is why I never retained the original electronics in my '90s Flys). For anyone else to manage to fit what they need in there is commendable.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Paul Marossy
Forum Veteran

Post by Paul Marossy »

mmmguitar wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:05 pm FWIW, I just use additional washers to make up the difference when mounting components with smaller shaft diameters. The shaft length and casing depth constraints created by the ribbon assembly certainly seem like a headache to shop for (which is why I never retained the original electronics in my '90s Flys). For anyone else to manage to fit what they need in there is commendable.
You can do that but with each washer it adds thickness. Mini toggles have a threaded portion that is only about 1/4" long. If the body on your guitar is very thin that works.