Axe FX

Amp setups, pedal signal chains, and more.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Axe FX

Post by Patzag »

@mmmguitar
I saw your mention of waiting for the Axe FX IV to be released.
What makes you think that's coming?
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: Axe FX

Post by mmmguitar »

Patzag wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:32 am @mmmguitar
I saw your mention of waiting for the Axe FX IV to be released.
What makes you think that's coming?
I doubt my answer is worthy of the thread you made: I was suggesting that the IV is far enough off in the product lifecycles Cliff Chase seems to favor that I would have time to build an amp, should that hair go wild.

I use a IIXL+ I bought on clearance once the preorders for the III began in, what, 2017 or 18? Being as I really only use a few amp models out of the hundreds in the unit, I may gravitate back to using pedals into a few real amps by time the IV is released. That said, we’re in the third iteration of the III (mk 2 Turbo); and Cliff has his pattern of announcing or hinting at another hardware iteration seemingly every 18 months or so, with new firmware iterations between those. So we’ll see where I’m at when buying a IV becomes an option.

Now how about your AXE FX thoughts? 8-)
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Ha. That makes sense now.

I am an AxeFX convert. Been using it since 2011. Started with the first iteration of the II and I'm now on the III Mark 2. I also have an FM 3 and an FM 9. But that's because I was a Beta tester for them for years!
I've learned to appreciate the amazing capabilities of these machines. And that in the end, they're only as good as the player. So mine are seriously under utilized! Lol!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Patzag wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:51 pm In the end, they're only as good as the player. So mine are seriously under utilized! Lol!
Oh, don't I know that feeling. I have a good idea of how I want to be a junior Roy Smith and synergistically incorporate a GR-55 (will try out the SY-1000, soon) and Axe FX - but find myself just plugging straight into a plain amp model and making cat-in-heat noises, most of the time.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Musikron

Post by Musikron »

Ultra and FM9 here.
I don't think we'll be seeing new hardware for a few more years yet. I mean we're almost two years into the FM9 announcement and still haven't even gotten through the first day of the wait-list!
That said, I don't see how this thing can really sound any better at this point, and the III is ridiculously powerful, so what more could you want? UI improvements maybe, but I don't find it as hard to use as most folks seem to think it is.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

I find the UI very simple and quite straightforward. But then again, I'm older than the iPhone! Lol!
Yes, I don't think that there is much more to be done in terms of sound quality. Every FOH guy I've dealt with has been very happy with my tones and leave the EQ on the board flat. I think that's a compliment.
Personally, a Fly and an Axe FX are all I'll ever need!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Patzag wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:06 pm …I'm older than the iPhone!
I heard that the forthcoming Apple Axe FX will be 1/2” thick, have one large wheel on the top (inaccessible when the unit is in a rack), and include a set of proprietary 1/4” and XLR dongles. 👀 🤪

Seriously, the only Axe FX IV request I’d have would be additional I/O—not that the Axe III is shy of inputs and discrete channels. I agree with others that the quality of the models is really impressive!
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

vjmanzo wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:58 pm
I heard that the forthcoming Apple Axe FX will be 1/2” thick, have one large wheel on the top (inaccessible when the unit is in a rack), and include a set of proprietary 1/4” and XLR dongles. 👀 🤪
You forgot that it will have a camera on the back - albeit with a large bump that does not allow the unit to sit flush without a case. :shock:
billy
Forum Veteran

Post by billy »

I bought a non working axe II earlier this year and just got it working again a week or so ago.

It’s amazing. You can spend hours and days just going through all the presets and not even tweaking knobs or IRs. Can’t wait to hear through a pa or record something with it.

But there’s also something to be said for my Evh stealth lunchbox head and a 1x12. I plug straight in, have one foot switch and my vol knob. I don’t get every sound but manage most and deal with it when I can’t. Life is short, eh?

Then on the third hand, the axe floor units look really interesting too. More than before I got the rack unit actually.

I think someplace in the middle is going to be my most happy place.

And to go completely around, there’s always acoustic.

Which has in some cases become just as electric as electrics are. Two full circles.

Fun for everyone! 😁
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

billy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:21 pm [snip]You can spend hours and days just going through all the presets and not even tweaking knobs or IRs. Can’t wait to hear through a pa or record something with it.

But there’s also something to be said for my Evh stealth lunchbox head and a 1x12. I plug straight in, have one foot switch and my vol knob. I don’t get every sound but manage most and deal with it when I can’t. Life is short, eh?

Then on the third hand, the axe floor units look really interesting too. More than before I got the rack unit actually.
This is what happened to me when I spent years only playing unplugged acoustic-- then was called on to play plugged acoustic-- then found out about piezo-- then found parkers-- then found the GK2 pickup and now...

I think I spent 50% of my playtime writing or tweaking patches.
On a whim and some internet advice, I tried out one of these:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/fm3/

Its a lot simpler than my gr55 and you can plug anything into it but it needed a lot of tweaking to get what I wanted out of it, yet my years of tweaking pedal presets got me what I needed in about 1/2 an hour. I have to recommend it!
just plain lost
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

If you don't need extraordinarily complex routings, the FM3 is very hard to beat. And it sounds extraordinary.

One of the things that I really appreciate is the ability to play amplifiers that I would've never been able to approach, much less afford. And the effects are absolutely world-class.

@Billy, congratulations on getting your Axe FX II running. There's definitely thousands of hours of enjoyment packed in that box.
billy
Forum Veteran

Post by billy »

Great info! Just when I thought I got rid of my gas… 😉
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...