Hi, New Member, old Parky Fly MIDI

General musical discussions that don't fall under other categories.
Huntman

Hi, New Member, old Parky Fly MIDI

Post by Huntman »

Hi,
I'm from Portland, OR.
I bought this Parker Midi Fly at least 22 years ago, right after Guitar Center opened in Clackamas OR.
Haven't been playing it much and I'm considering selling it. I have let my collection grow a bit large. Not sure.
I don't use the MIDI.
I put a Gibson 57 Classic in the bridge.
And a Bartolini in the neck.
I found this great web site as I was doing research and I think I learned I have a January of 1999 Parker.
So, Hi and thanks for having me.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=1728&sid ... 4eede6373e
image12.jpeg
image10.jpeg
image8.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image2.jpeg
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Hi, New Member, old Parky Fly MIDI

Post by vjmanzo »

Welcome @Huntman!!! Beautiful instrument!!!!

Cool pickup replacements choices—happy with them in the NiteFly?
Huntman

Post by Huntman »

I do like them. I saw your post last night and plugged it in again for the first time in years. (Clark Bufort Reverb Amp)
It sounds great. And I figured out what I did with the switches.
The Bartonini has a micro switch that takes it from a big fat sound to a thick Fender single coil.
The Gibson has a 3 way switch, full on humbucker to what sounds like a single coil.
Both of the micro switches are not working great. May need to replace them. I remember it is a crowded maze under the pickguard.

Is it worth just bypassing the MIDI and just turning it into a passive guitar?

I had forgotten how nice the neck is on this guitar. So easy to play.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Huntman wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:22 pm Is it worth just bypassing the MIDI and just turning it into a passive guitar?
Apologies for speaking out of turn to address a question intended for VJ when I point out that, if you happen to not care for the MIDIAxe circuitry under the hood, there are others in the community who will likely buy the parts off of you. The routing space and pickguard-mounting make the NiteFly pretty modular; as far as customizing it to your preferences goes. For a tinkerer such as myself, modding the guitar to where you want it to be is pretty worth it ;)
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

mmmguitar wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:55 pm if you happen to not care for the MIDIAxe circuitry under the hood, there are others in the community who will likely buy the parts off of you.
I completely agree with mmmguitar’s thoughts here. Maybe you can even trade with someone in the community for another NiteFly? 🤷 If the MIDI guts are operational then I wouldn’t go changing things—there is a passive NiteFly (first two models actually!) that you could potentially look for.

Wow—just looked at the photos again: such a cool instrument!
Huntman

Post by Huntman »

mmmguitar wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:55 pm
Huntman wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:22 pm Is it worth just bypassing the MIDI and just turning it into a passive guitar?
Apologies for speaking out of turn to address a question intended for VJ when I point out that, if you happen to not care for the MIDIAxe circuitry under the hood, there are others in the community who will likely buy the parts off of you. The routing space and pickguard-mounting make the NiteFly pretty modular; as far as customizing it to your preferences goes. For a tinkerer such as myself, modding the guitar to where you want it to be is pretty worth it ;)
Thanks.
I think the MIDI stuff works, or at least it did many years ago. I need to look around, I think there were cable and maybe a box???
I'd hate to do any permanent modifications. I already put two holes in the pickguard that I'm worried about. Maybe there are replacement pickguards...
I was just thinking of wiring directly to the 1/4" output jack to bypass what I'm not using, but leaving that mod reversible.
Huntman

Post by Huntman »

vjmanzo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:18 pm
mmmguitar wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:55 pm if you happen to not care for the MIDIAxe circuitry under the hood, there are others in the community who will likely buy the parts off of you.
I completely agree with mmmguitar’s thoughts here. Maybe you can even trade with someone in the community for another NiteFly? 🤷 If the MIDI guts are operational then I wouldn’t go changing things—there is a passive NiteFly (first two models actually!) that you could potentially look for.

Wow—just looked at the photos again: such a cool instrument!
Thank you. I'll just play it for now while I decide if I keep it or not. My collection has grown, not just guitars but amps and other valuables. Too much buying and very little selling.
I'm feeling the need to thin down my possessions.
But I'm not sure I want to let the Fly go.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Huntman wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:25 pm I was just thinking of wiring directly to the 1/4" output jack to bypass what I'm not using, but leaving that mod reversible.
Oh that’s a good approach 👍

Yes, there are definitely replacement pickguards out there from WD Music, and potentially original NiteFly pickguards if you message Mike G..
freqrider

Post by freqrider »

Don't mod the MidiFly! They are super rare! Amazing instrument! I would never sell mine.