Three out of four

Show and tell! This is a place to showcase your Parker guitar! New members are encouraged to introduce themselves here.
jackak624

Three out of four

Post by jackak624 »

Hi All,

just joined, thought I'd share a pic of three of favorite guitars. The white and black ones are redwood-necked.

Attachments
IMG_1467.jpg
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: Three out of four

Post by mmmguitar »

Beautiful. Are they all Gen 1 Dimarzios, or did you get a different wind for the white bobbins?
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Yeah, @jackak624! Welcome!! I love those redwood-neck Flys!!
jackak624

Post by jackak624 »

Thank you MMM and VJ. The white one is apparently a very early model (serial begins with 173, so June of '93) and I was told a one off. The pickups were wound by Steve Blucher at DiMarzio for a cleaner sound, the guitar was supposed to be a "country" model. I think that's why they have white bobbins. Good eye, btw! The red one is a Mojo with Pearly Gates pickups, the black has the standard Gen 1s.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Redwood Neck Fly in White Finish

Post by vjmanzo »

…and let’s not forget that the white finish is Ken’s favorite color…except:

:lol:

There were about four or five white Redwood-neck Fly Deluxes made (according to Ken)—I have one too! All the rest of that batch of about 60 were black. You may know this already, but Ken himself had a hand in making everyone of those redwood-neck Flys since they were the first production run. An excerpt from this post on Redwood neck Fly:
vjmanzo wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:59 am Ken has confirmed on numerous occasions that the Fly he intended to mass-produce was the Fly Deluxe with a redwood neck and a poplar body...that was the first production Fly from 1993. He made the first batch of around 60 Flys and, when the next batch was made without him selecting the redwood pieces, when the Flys were finished, there were certain Flys in that batch that produced wolf tones, which is not uncommon for redwood. Sadly, you can’t really tell if redwood will produce wolf tones until you finish the instrument! Ken must have intuitively been selecting “better” pieces of wood for he first batch of Deluxes, but when that job was given to others in his team, according to Ken: some of the Flys had the strangest, unearthly sympathetic vibrations. Those Flys with wolf tones were destroyed, and Ken decided that redwood was too much of a variable for a production line so he switched to using basswood for the necks. Parker Guitars almost went out of business in 1993 over that!!
#WoodTypes
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

jackak624 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:21 pm The red one is a Mojo with Pearly Gates pickups
Ah. I had to zoom in to see the trem bushing on the Mojo. How do you like the PGs compared to your other Flys’ pickups?
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
jackak624

Post by jackak624 »

I like them a LOT! Balls-ey, more bottom end, but harmonics fly off the strings. That Mojo is probably the best guitar I've ever owned or played.
jackak624

Post by jackak624 »

Hi VJ - thanks a lot for the little vid and caption. I agree with Ken - the white flys look pretty freakin' cool! Also cool to have that info about the redwood necked flys. I feel so fortunate to have a pair of them.