Pickup switch replacement / upgrade?

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
instinct-vfx

Pickup switch replacement / upgrade?

Post by instinct-vfx »

Hey all,

i have an issue with the Pickup switch on my Fly Mojo. If switching to the full right position it still stays switched to middle position. I opened and took a look and the "leaf spring" is loose. I tried slightly bending it back into position. That worked but only for 2 or 3 weeks now. I would like to replace them with an equivalent or better even better, more reliable switch.

Any recommendation / experience would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Thorsten
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Fly Pickup switch replacement

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi Thorsten; welcome to the forum!

This Anatomy of a Fly post linked from the homepage contains replacement switch info. Any standard on-on-on switch will do; the one in your Mojo is likely a Switchcraft; the original Fly has C&K switches, which are excellent.

#SwitchReplacement
instinct-vfx

Re: Pickup switch replacement / upgrade?

Post by instinct-vfx »

Thanks a lot! Looking and ordering! Stay safe and keep shredding!
skip

Post by skip »

im rewiring a pre refine point to point.and on the old parker fly forum i got the switches a guy talked about.and thank god i saved it.i put these in my refine mojo liked them little pricey.the toggle s are a bit longer .from allied electronics the on,on,on switch part # is 70152137,and the on,off,on is 70152134.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Thanks, @skip! Helpful info!
instinct-vfx

Post by instinct-vfx »

Thanks skip!
skip

Post by skip »

sure like to help when i can
WKG

Post by WKG »

skip wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:34 pm im rewiring a pre refine point to point.and on the old parker fly forum i got the switches a guy talked about.and thank god i saved it.i put these in my refine mojo liked them little pricey.the toggle s are a bit longer .from allied electronics the on,on,on switch part # is 70152137,and the on,off,on is 70152134.
Hey Skip,

I am wanting to change the switches in my refined Mojo too. Which switch is for the mag/mag & piezo/piezo and which is for the mag selector only?

Also, did you use the diagram for passive pup wiring with the DiMarzio EP 1111? I am so tired of draining my 9v batteries...

Thanks
instinct-vfx

Post by instinct-vfx »

So after "fixing" the switch it loosened again. I now ordered the CK switches. Is there any information available on re-wiring the switchcraft switches to the CK ones maybe? Well, i assume the switches are switchcraft:
IMG-0641.jpg
Cheers and thanks in advance,
Thorsten
instinct-vfx

Post by instinct-vfx »

Found the exact re-wiring diagram i needed for replacing Switches on the Mojo. It references Allied switches though that i could not find a datasheet for. Does anyone know if they are identical to the CK ones recommended in the parts thread?
instinct-vfx

Post by instinct-vfx »

Just went for it. It seems to work. However the diagram is different from the wiring in my Mojo and i have a leftover ground on the Mag 3 way. Is that expected?

Used this: download/file.php?id=71&sid=23135de2b71 ... &mode=view
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

instinct-vfx wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:31 pm I have a leftover ground on the Mag 3 way. Is that expected?
To clarify: Are you saying there was a wire grounding the old switch casing that you didn’t carry over to the new one because it wasn’t referenced in the diagram, or something else?
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
instinct-vfx

Post by instinct-vfx »

Yes exactly that. See the left part for the mag switch on the linked diagram: download/file.php?id=71&sid=23135de2b71 ... &mode=view

It does not reference ground in neither the orignal nor the new switch diagram. The original one shows the top view, the ground was on the bottom
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

The purpose of that wire is just to prevent any hum or buzz that may result from you touching the switch shaft/nut. You can solder it anywhere on the casing of the new switch, or put the bare end of it between the switch bushing and a washer before you tighten the nut, or not use it at all if it doesn’t seem to be a problem.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
hapsong

Post by hapsong »

instinct-vfx wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:31 pm Just went for it. It seems to work. However the diagram is different from the wiring in my Mojo and i have a leftover ground on the Mag 3 way. Is that expected?

Used this: download/file.php?id=71&sid=23135de2b71 ... &mode=view
How have the Allied switches worked out for you? I'm thinking of going this route for my Mojo - the wiring diagram you posted is helpful..
2004 Fly Mojo Natural, 2008 Fly Artist Butterscotch, www.gregmatses.com
hapsong

Post by hapsong »

I did the switch upgrade to my 2004 Mojo as the original switches were becoming unreliable. I bought both the Electroswitch and C&K switches and ended up installing the Electroswitches (from Allied) even though they are noticeably bigger - they had holes in the tabs making easier for my limited soldering skills. I followed the wiring diagram linked to above. Everything works great now and switches seem very solid. I added a photo of the C&K toggle for comparison..
Mojo Electroswitch.jpg
Mojo Electroswitch 2.jpg
C&K toggle.jpg
2004 Fly Mojo Natural, 2008 Fly Artist Butterscotch, www.gregmatses.com