Using different string gauge than tremolo spring

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
MorphineNoir

Using different string gauge than tremolo spring

Post by MorphineNoir »

I have a Parker Fly Mojo with an 11 tremolo spring

That is the only tremolo spring I have

Would there be any issues in using 9 or 10 gauge strings?

Thank you and be well
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Using different string gauge set than vibrato spring

Post by vjmanzo »

The main issue would be if you want to “float” the vibrato as described in the manual—it will not work properly. If you tighten the spring and only intend to bend down (or not at all), it will be fine.

Each spring (rated 8, 8.5, 9, 10, 11, 12) was designed to support a specific tension, and, as such, their physical properties are, in fact, different. An 11 gauge spring was designed to counteract the tension equivalent to the tension placed on the guitar when a set of 11-gauge strings are tuned to pitch. There is an equilibrium point (described further here) when floating that requires the spring to be able to function this way and a spring that is not rated for this (or is failing) will not be allow the vibrato to work as it's supposed to in this regard.

Did you happen to buy this Mojo recently with only the 11 spring installed?
Did the Mojo have 11-gauge strings on it when you bought it?

#SpringIssues #StringIssues
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: Using different string gauge than tremolo spring

Post by mmmguitar »

+1 to VJ’s responses. I’ve been able to get away with using a spring gauge one rating higher than the installed strings, though of course the luxury of having matched parts is optimal. You have some wiggle room (e.g. Using a 9-46 set with a 9 spring, when a 10 spring would be prescribed as more appropriate).
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Post by Voice Of Reason »

Sorry for bumping after the fact.

I’d like to still use the trem (I only have an 11 spring).

Lately, I’ve been tuning down to D standard (while dreaming of a 10 spring - I.e. I had been in Eb before).

My questions are:

- Is this still ok to do so with this spring (11) and gauge (10-52)?

- I see people using even lower tunings (C and B). How has anyone been able to fit anything heavier than a 0.52 on the lowest string (especially on the saddle end)?

Thanks!

Gear: 98 Fly Classic
1998 Fly Classic
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Voice Of Reason wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:46 pm - Is this still ok to do so with this spring (11) and gauge (10-52)?
I’m going to err on the side of “Yes”; because the string tension of your setup should be within the lower range of an 11-rated spring assumed to be in good shape.

This should be in the ballpark of the tension a Fly 11 spring is rated to counterbalance:
586E0C12-5D11-4F89-97F6-136034F0618A.jpeg

And the approximate tension of your setup:
BE387690-6DDF-4CF5-BFC3-15F457AEEDD6.jpeg
Apologies if I’ve misunderstood the setup you’re going for.
Voice Of Reason wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:46 pm - I see people using even lower tunings (C and B). How has anyone been able to fit anything heavier than a 0.52 on the lowest string (especially on the saddle end)?
The short answer is that they don’t. But it can be done.

Circa 2011-14, I recall a number of guys ordering 7 string MaxxFlys for the sake of making NGD posts instead of music (which is how you know someone fancies themselves a djent guitarist 8-) ), then promptly reselling them once they found they couldn’t get their preferred .60 or whatever gauges through the E string bridge hole. According to them, the official response was that the Fly trem simply wasn’t made to accommodate such gauges.

Unofficially, it was understood that one could just drill out the bridge and tuner post holes to accommodate the larger gauge(s).

Bear in mind that these were players who, in addition to understandably not wanting to irreversibly mod an expensive guitar in like-new condition, reinforced the djent stereotype of doing zero maintenance, adjustment, or modification of their own (e.g. “I had my tech set the guitar up for drop-F#; and now I need a messageboard to explain to me that the guitar won’t stay in tune or intonate in the first five frets I exclusively use, because I forgot to ask them to cut the nut for these massive strings that are sitting on top of the slots and making creaking noises”).

Apologies for getting off on a rant. I stopped subcontracting guitar stores at the end of 2015, but have no shortage of vivid sense memories to do with some of the more frequent user-error cases of the time.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Post by Voice Of Reason »

mmmguitar wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:42 pm The short answer is that they don’t. But it can be done.

Circa 2011-14, I recall a number of guys ordering 7 string MaxxFlys for the sake of making NGD posts instead of music (which is how you know someone considers themselves as djent guitarist 8-) ), then promptly reselling them once they found they couldn’t get their preferred .60 or whatever gauges through the E string bridge hole. According to them, the official response was that the Fly trem simply wasn’t made to accommodate such gauges.

Unofficially, it was understood that one could just drill out the bridge and tuner post holes to accommodate the larger gauge(s).

Bear in mind that these were players who, in addition to understandably not wanting to irreversibly mod an expensive guitar in like-new condition, reinforced the djent stereotype of doing zero maintenance, adjustment, or modification of their own (e.g. “I had my tech set the guitar up for drop-F#; and now I need a messageboard to explain to me that the guitar won’t stay in tune or intonate in the first five frets I exclusively use, because I forgot to ask them to cut the nut for these massive strings that are sitting on top of the slots and making creaking noises”).

Apologies for getting off on a rant. I stopped subcontracting guitar stores at the end of 2015, but have no shortage of vivid sense memories to do with some of the more frequent user-error cases of the time.
Thank you good sir for such a thorough answer.

I’ll be sticking to Eb (or D standard) with the Fly.

N.b. I agree with the djent comment. While I do have a 7-string, it has been modified, setup and properly maintained. I would not play with spaghetti strings (I.e. lower tension). When you go that low, a fixed bridge is desirable ( and I’m glad I went with this).

I also just don’t understand people picking up a guitar (or even worse putting together one from a kit) being ok with super high action. If it’s not setup well (and maintained), I’m not playing it.

Then again, limited skills are needed for djent. I stand corrected: being versed in Morse code is a skill.
1998 Fly Classic
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Voice Of Reason wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:01 pm being versed in Morse code is a skill.
:lol: