GK-3 mount on Pre-refined

Parts, mods, projects, and requests/concepts based on adaptations of Fly parts
Dolphran

GK-3 mount on Pre-refined

Post by Dolphran »

Hi All,
I want to mount a Roland GK-3 hex pickup on my 1996 Fly Deluxe in a non-destructive way. The clamp that comes with the GK3 won't work on the Fly, because the wheel is in the way and the body is too thin. A 3D-printed solution would perhaps be ideal. Anyone have CAD rendering of such? Or any experience doing this in a secure but removable way?
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: GK-3 mount on Pre-refined

Post by mmmguitar »

I used Velcro adhesive mounting squares to mount external GK3s to the tops of Flys and Steinbergers where the control box needed to be out of the way of hardware. It’s a cheap and simple solution, but you’ll need a finish-safe solvent such as naphtha to remove the adhesive residue left by both the Velcro tabs and the tabs Roland supplies with the pickup (assuming you’re not mounting a different way). I’ve also had positive results with Goo Gone and Goof Off applied and removed in short order - though I’ve read that they’re not recommended for guitar finishes.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

This is what I used to do as well. I was using a double sided tape. (I can tell you what kind when I get back home.)
Just make sure your cable is locked under your strap and you can even jump around on stage!
just plain lost
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Ok.
I’m going to be the odd guy here. I used hot glue. I found it to be safe. It did not cause any issue with the finish and kept my GK3 pick up in place for a long time before I bumped it off. I might or might not recommend this today, but at the time I did not consider the long term effects to the instrument.
I take absolutely no responsibility for anybody trying this with their own instrument. :o :o
Dolphran

Post by Dolphran »

Found this person's solution: https://www.mgp-guitars.co.uk/projects/ ... de-part-2/

[Mod edit: Updated link after hosting site switched domains]