A summary of the Fly changes/issues through the years, and a brief history of Parker Guitars

Manuals, catalogs, schematics, serials, pickup options & guides
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: A summary of the Fly changes/issues through the years, and a brief history of Parker Guitars

Post by vjmanzo »

Correct, the pre-refined Flys for certain had the same fretboard material on the presentation side of the headstock (and the 2” strip of composite extending from the neck to about the 5th tuning peg a la the image on the parts page).

Here are some photos of that I just took:
4D30D803-E511-48DD-B594-910994878458.jpeg
19BF3227-3271-4B79-A6FB-A0E18D217F44.jpeg
4430C765-3D7B-4F93-81BF-16652FE6AC39.jpeg

I think the refined Flys do still have that part—it appears that way. Perhaps one of our members that worked at Parker Guitars during the USM-era can confirm.
Gregsaab

Re: A summary of the Fly changes/issues through the years, and a brief history of Parker Guitars

Post by Gregsaab »

Pretty great that you have that piece on hand, thank you for verifying that for me. Just noticed it last week, just wasn’t sure.

Edit: missed the bit after photos. My 2011 certainly doesn’t seem to have CF.
1998 Deluxe in Dusty Black
1999 Deluxe in Emerald Green
2011 Mojo in Transparent Red [sold]
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Gregsaab wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:19 pm Pretty great that you have that piece on hand, thank you for verifying that for me.
No problem! Yeah, like many of us, my studio is somewhat of a Parker Guitars museum/shrine! :lol:
Gregsaab wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:19 pm My 2011 certainly doesn’t seem to have CF.
Hmmm…interesting…I have a 2011 Mojo and it does have that:
75774B48-E448-413A-A346-A17C9D678579.jpeg

It’s only function is cosmetic, so I suppose it could have been dropped in some cases.
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

There is a difference between mine — can see hexagons on Deluxe, whereas the Mojo almost looks bead blasted
204472E2-9B2A-4A59-82CD-11E984D20AC9.jpeg
1998 Deluxe in Dusty Black
1999 Deluxe in Emerald Green
2011 Mojo in Transparent Red [sold]
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Ahhh!! I believe what you’re seeing is the difference between the layers in the material. The top layer of the fretboard and that piece is fiberglass .010” thick, and the next layer is carbon fiber that, at least during Ken’s time, had the hexagonal pattern.

It seems that on some Flys, that top fiberglass layer is perhaps (becoming?) more transparent than others and allowing the carbon fiber to show through more than others—I doubt the fiberglass is “wearing out” with age, but it may be losing its pigment. My ‘93 redwood-neck Fly fretboard really shows a prominent hex pattern, for example, even though there’s a layer of fiberglass on top of it.

…either that or it was, in fact, another USM-era change!
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Post by Voice Of Reason »

Question for VJ/Fly Stealth owners.

A listing I found said this model could use heavier gauge string. How heavy are we talking about (max - i.e. a 0.056” or more?).
1998 Fly Classic
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Voice Of Reason wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:59 pm How heavy are we talking about (max - i.e. a 0.056” or more?).
I have 13’s on mine, but tuned down to B standard; the tension is the main limitation, and there are calculators to help get that right. The only other limitation is the Sperzel diameter on the low string, which doesn’t quite clear anything larger that .059–but you can modify that opening if needed or just contact Sperzel and they’ll make you a single tuner with a larger hole (short post).

For reference, I have 13s on a Fly Concert as well that’s also tuned down to B standard and it plays and sounds great—no structural issues or other weirdnesses. The intonation with 13s is, for me, just working, so I wouldn’t go any heavier than that unless you’re open to modifying the bridge so that the saddles can move a bit more. 😬
vaya

Post by vaya »

More pictures of early Fly prototypes:

First and second picture are found on https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/players ... chtop.html where a user shows a prototype from 1985 with three seemingly conventional single coils.

Third is Bob Palmieri of https://www.dunelandlabs.com who supplies the pick-up that Ken uses in his Archtops nowadays. Note the slightly textured finish reminiscent of the later Stealth Fly and humbuckers of his own design.

Both feature a much more accentuated contouring of the upper horn that has been left away in the production model.
Attachments
flyproto1.jpg
fly216kc.jpg
Bob+Palmieri+Headshot.jpeg