Total Refurbish of Trashed Fly Deluxe

Show and tell! This is a place to showcase your Parker guitar! New members are encouraged to introduce themselves here.
Fly Rod

Re: Total Refurbish of Trashed Fly Deluxe

Post by Fly Rod »

"Capable of 35,000 RPM" Now that's funny mmmguitar
Now that's a fast guitar :lol:

It's 3:30am Sunday morning 5/29/22 & I was just rough cutting the headstock overlay veneer for the Takamine, I cut a V Notch in an old plywood template for a Gibson The Hawk/Nighthawk/Blueshawk Body from my Wood Shop & clamped it on my office bench under the bright light & with my spectacles on cut the shape out about 1mm too big = trying for the outside of the pencil line which is from a white pencil, sat it in place & it's almost perfect... Put a white towel over the two laptops to keep rosewood dust away from them BTW... Might make a couple pics from the scraps :mrgreen:
Going to wait to glue it in place until the new nut from Graph-Tech/Tusq gets here next Friday June the 3rd so I can get the angle just right, I can get it with my angle finder which is a wood workers tool = a square that's angle is adjustable with a wing nut.
I think I will glue the veneer on with Titebond Original but have epoxy & different CA Glues but am in no hurry for it to dry & think Titebond will give me the best overall finished results + squeeze out cleans up with warm water perfectly.
Still unsure about getting the finished edge just right, I think a router would be TOO MUCH for such a thin veneer, I have three different sizes of routers
Might be best to go slow & triple tape the edge of the headstock with blue painter's tape use sandpaper to take the 1-2mms off or cordless Dremel with a sanding drum OR File, Rasp ???

Never got around to primer sealing the Parker Fly Deluxe or unsoldering the electronics or grain filling the body with Timbermate
There's always tomorrow...

NOTE NOTCHED STRAIGHT EDGE I MADE when I was trying to give relief to a buddy's guitar that had been in a storage shed for two years with no strings & the truss rod was tightened = back bowed neck really bad, I ended up heating the bolt on neck with a heating pad & then clamped it in a fixture & gave it relief at the 8-9th fret with a C Clamp with wood blocks & a padded half round under the scarf joint, It took two tries & eventually got the rock hard maple neck straight & then put .010"s on it & got enough relief that it played great with very low action
I only charged him $20 & that included the strings.
I have another piece of that aluminum straight edge & want to make it my 24 3/4" & 25 1/2" notched straight edge
The one I cut is for 23" & 34" bass on the other side
P5290005.JPG
P5290004.JPG
P5290006.JPG
FLY ROD Formerly FLY Wheel
Musikron

Post by Musikron »

Your instinct not to route the veneer is correct, you'll blow it out worse than an 80s hairdo.
There's nothing wrong with sanding it down flush, that would be the safe route.
The fast way would be a very sharp chisel or knife, but be aware of the grain orientation and how your working your cutting surface or you may deform the end grain or tear out or split the edge grain. It's a touch and experience thing.
Again, not wrong with sanding it.
And I'd personally leave the veneer just short enough that it captures the nut between it and the fingerboard.
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

I'm learning as I go on this rosewood headstock veneer & have sanded the flat top of the headstock down maybe the thickness of the veneer & wanted to thicken it up in that area, If I have to cut down into the veneer to inlay the nut, I will do so with a flat file to leave the ledge for it to sit into...
It's been like three years since I bought this project for $30 along with the $30 Parker Fly Deluxe project & am just now getting around to actually doing the repairs to both of those along with the Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite M-III
The Takamine had .0115"-.0515" D'Addario strings on it when the headstock was broken & tossed in the trash can about a block from my house
I think I have the original nut, but it was in a box with several others & I assume it's the black one in the 2nd photo here...
There were two sets of brass knuckles & 3-4 nuts & a banjo bridge in the box I found, NOTE: The two scraps that will become a couple rosewood picks
I have a Tusq nut coming from Graph-Tech due this Friday & will be busy going to the grave yards tomorrow & also going to see Primus tomorrow evening with my youngest son David..
HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY to Everyone!

I went ahead & cut all the wiring out of the Parker Fly today, leaving an inch at each end, cut to help me get the thing up & working on the bench away from the guitar & will also allow me to primer & grain fill the wood properly first...
Am still hoping to get the original color by taking the guitar to Wolf Glass & Paint Co. about a mile from here were I used to get all my autobody supplies 2-3 decades ago, If Not I will get a close Dusty Black & might go with a crazy flake or pearl over the black then a clear coat & polish
Need to get going on these projects...
I also found a brown Gibson Les Paul switch plate cover from the early/mid 90s that was replaced on a Classic Trans Amber Plus+ I had 25 years ago
A couple Velcro string dampeners that I am going to use on the Brian Moore iGuitar i2000 1.13 Midi to absorb overtones to the Roland GR-55
P5290011.JPG
P5290013.JPG
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

More Sanding & another problem
The thick paint on the side of the neck where the fret position markers are was cracked loose so I took a razor & snapped the paint off, also note cracks in the top from an impact I assume, you can see were the carbon fiber starts & is loose a small amount there
Plan on using CA Glue there to affix the Carbon Fiber back on really good & sanding till my fingers hurt
Also on the fingerboards treble side at the 10th-14th frets there is a similar problem were the neck was hit & tiny pieces of the carbon fiber are gone & will also need CA Glue & filling sanding
Started to sculp the lower horn that was also snapped off with Epoxy
Also wiped the bare wood with Timer Mate to fill the grain of the exposed wood on the body & patch
Removed the Sperzel Tuners & now the body is totally stripped
Noticed many more divots & marks in the paint all over the body, there is one in the back that went through the carbon fiber & will fill it with CA Glue as it will affix the fiber & fill at the same time, others need feathering out to disappear
Going up to Kroger to get some breakfast, it's after 7:00am already
Won't get much time today as there is the Memorial Day visits to the grave yards & put flags on Veterans graves
Then there is that Primus Concert in Louisville KY Tonight to see Les Claypool aka Mr. Krinkle :mrgreen:
P5290004 (2).JPG
P5290006 (2).JPG
P5300019.JPG
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Refurbish? More like resurrection!
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

This guitar was TRASHED in more than one way & I now have at least $200 invested mostly because of the $100 Tremolo Spring & other parts etc. from Mike @ G-Man/WI Guitar
I gave the link in the other area about Terry selling NEW Tremolo Springs in .009" & .010", These won't last forever either
Should buy a .010" this Friday @ $80 Just Because...
There's a Parker Fly Facebook Group & I let the cat out of the bag there & inventory will vanish quickly
~~~Need to go check that page~~~

Going to go get the CA Glue out of the refrigerator & go visit the Parker Fly in a few after running the dogs out..
P5290004 (2) (1).JPG
P5290006 (2).JPG
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

Noticed about 15-20 small bubbles in the back of the neck in the carbon fiber while I was sealing & filling up a deep scratches & chips in the back of the neck with #10 CA Glue
Was taking a small 1cmx1cm piece of 220 & feathering the bubbles out in the carbon fiber layer
There are several more & am going to try and get a photo showing them
I'm also reinforcing the threaded holes for the strap buttons with CA Glue & around were the bushings fit for the tremolo at the rear under the backplate as it is chipped around the bass side opening & I thought if I start a set of the nylon bushings & flood CA glue around them & should be able to pull the bushings leaving the glue intact
Haven't tried to remove them yet + I have an extra set that Mike @ WI Guitar/G-Man Music sent me
Photos to come...
It worked the bushings tapped out from the front & left the glue intact

Bubbles in the Carbon Fiber Layer
P6010019.JPG
Upper Horn Back
P6010023.JPG
Bushings with Glue around them
P6010025.JPG
After Removal, Note: Patch from the backside is invisible
P6010026.JPG
MUCH MORE SANDING TO COME!!

While slowly sanding the rear of the guitar I could see the high line of the carbon fiber strip under the main layer & didn't even try an sand it smooth
P6030020.JPG
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

Haven't done much sanding since the other day but the Fly is coming along slowly, IT WILL LIVE... :lol:

Just saw a $2499.99 Pre-Refined black Fly at Guitar Center Online POOR Condition with Drop D Sperzel Tuner RARE!
Serial #108027BP USA Fly Deluxe IIRC Year Unsure?
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Parke ... gKBS_D_BwE

Just got the nut for the Takamine Acoustic
Getting close to gluing it up :mrgreen:
Takamine Headstock Laminate.JPG
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Can’t wait to see the Takamine brought back to life, too, herr doktor.
Fly Rod wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:22 pm Just saw a $2499.99 Pre-Refined black Fly at Guitar Center Online POOR Condition with Drop D Sperzel Tuner RARE!
Serial #108027BP USA Fly Deluxe IIRC Year Unsure?
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Parke ... gKBS_D_BwE
That guitar’s detailed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=518

Despite having been dropped hard enough to require refinishing, some GC employee saw all the Reverb listings and decided to initially list the Fly as being in “great” condition; leading to it being returned immediately.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

GC should list it on eBay with a starting bid of what they have in it = $600 or less & let the bids begin...
Too Bad Really..
I didn't see the thread about that guitar before

I once had a bone nut cut at GC & they ruined the guitar + charged me $70 = NEVER AGAIN!
It was a Gibson Blueshawk BTW
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

Been working on the headstock of the Takamine
I drilled six little holes & put six little brads upside down in the headstock with 1mm protrusion to keep the veneer from slipping around & set them with #10 CA glue to mark the veneer & keep it from slipping around on the glue
Got four clamps & six pinch clamps & several wood blocks, pads & leather & have just finished clamping it up & cleaning the small amount of squeeze out off
Going out @ 11:15am but will be back very soon with pictures of the mess :lol:
Used Titebond Original & used a small brush to get every inch, cleaned out tuner holes with a few Q-Tips
Be Right Back, Wife is already in the car, Need to get my shoes & run Fast...
Gary :o
OK @ 1:30am I just unclamped the veneer glue up & snapped a few photos before & after
My work table is covered & the Parker Fly is there right underneath sideways under the Takamines neck with the blue foam in between
Will look at sanding & scraping the veneer after it dries overnight or longer
Time for bed & Wife is already sleeping & fell asleep with the TV on again :lol:
P6080003.JPG
P6080006.JPG
P6080007.JPG
P6080008.JPG
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

More sanding & slow Dremel work on the overhang of the headstock veneer of the Takamine Acoustic Guitar...
It is almost impossible to sand the edge of the rosewood without touching the side of the headstock which looks like mahogany to me through the finish
I have been using 220 grit on or around a few different things to get it there just right & keep it all square = eraser, tubing + Files, scotch brite & steel wool. A bit more sanding was done late last night for 15-20 minutes with 220 dry = slow process
Guitar clamped to padded table with eraser + leather + blue foam pads...
Note: around guitars keep steel wool in a zip lock sandwich bag + use sparingly & clean up all shavings well...
I will be done sanding sometime on Saturday IF I spend more time at it, Then more sanding with 600 800 1000 2000+ to try and blend it all together
Then some clear coat after I blend the break on the back = Added some more CA Glue in the crack to fill it if flush & smooth + need a tint to match the orange finish the neck & headstock sides need some of
Need to clean up the mess left by this process of sanding & shaping

NOTE: An American Hero Stephen Schmidt who passed away 1/6/22 Vietnam Veteran & a Good Ole Friend = POW/MIA next to Elvis :mrgreen:
P6100001.JPG
P6100004.JPG
P6100009.JPG
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

MORE SANDING :(
P6110001.JPG
P6110002.JPG
P6110003.JPG
P6110007.JPG
P6110002 (1).JPG
Found the six little gold screws for the tuners
They were in a shot glass on my other work bench...

Trying to find a color match for the crack = Stain markers

Still looking for those three Parker Fly Supreme Black Rotary Locking Knobs :?:
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

Still sanding & filling & trying to color match the wounds
Found a divot in the neck & filled it + color & stained the cracks glue & will set it with CA Glue
Slow process & still need to even up the veneer at the curved areas
MORE TO COME!
Still looking for those three Parker Fly Control Knobs? Where are they at??? :?:
P6110005 (1).JPG
P6110002 (2).JPG
P6110001 (2).JPG
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

Finishing up the headstock of the Takamine
Getting close, needs a coat of clear before the water slide logo is applied & being the humidity is 100% & it's 100 degrees outside I will hold off
I have it sanded to 2000 grit & it's smooth as glass
Made a short neck rest & lined it with two layers of leather & one of thin sponge from a scrap in the shop
P6150004.JPG
P6150012.JPG
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

Getting closer
2nd layer of clear after being sanded back too 2000 grit
One single layer sprayed thin
At least I'm doing something
More to come SOON!
Gary
P6170009.JPG
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

I have the headstocks finish sanded back to 2000 now & am ready to apply the Takamine Logo
Might get around to that later today = Then wait a few days for it to dry really good & then spray a few more coats of clear over the logo & sand back flush & then a final coat
Takes way too much work to do this properly
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Fly Rod wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:54 am Takes way too much work to do this properly
This is the number one reason I can procrastinate on undertaking a guitar project for months until I finally work up the nerve. Then I get two two steps in before I have the epiphany of what I probably should have done differently. But at that point, I have no choice but to commit to what I started. It’s been quite therapeutic seeing you juggle these different projects, Gary. Keep up the great work - It shames me into rolling up my own sleeves ;).
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

The Water Slide Takamine Decal was too dark & not enough Gold to even show up on the rosewood veneer
I ordered a Gold Sticker Decal & have went ahead & cut the new nut, lowered the saddle + strung up with .012"-.056" D'Addario phosphor bronze strings & await the decal, Not sure I even want to remove the strings & tuners again?
I am going to order a used New Yorker Case from Brooklyn NY so it can live safe for its life for $89
The guitar plays great & the action is very nice for any acoustic guitar + all electronics = preamp & tuner work 100%
My $30 initial investment has paid off, Still doesn't sound as loud & crisp as my Ovation from the 70s/80s
P6260005.JPG
Parker Fly is going back on the bench tomorrow
I found a paint I want to use, and was used on a 2010 Ford, Close to the Dusty Black
Available in 8oz spray cans for $15ea right up the street @ Autozone, Dupli-Color Perfect Match Touch Up Paint BUN0100
Should buy 2-3 cans & the primer is black so it won't bleed through
I saw a Ford F150 at the gas station & asked if I could get the paint code from the driver's door then researched the color & availability of it in a spray balm... Close to the solar flare & almost the same as my Son's B.C. Rich Eagle, Will also need the clear coat too.
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

Well, it's back on working a bit on the Parker Fly Deluxe after the Takamine New Yorker
Took the bridge back apart & masked & primed it with black + a few passes on the Flys Body & carried it back in need a good coat to work the body spots out & have much more sanding coming this week
Hope to score the paint & get that sucker painted SOON!
Put the bridges screws in cardboard & put blue thread locker on all the screws threads
Cleaned the worktable off in my shop of tools & got the Takamine & Parker setup for surgeries
Shouldn't have sprayed that bridge down there as it stinks like paint now & Wife is complaining about it, It was only 4-5 small puffs BUT?
Grabbed a few photos & the Heat is On Now!
Waiting on the Takamine's Gold Logo due Thursday 6/30/22
Need to go wash my hands after spraying that primer
Gary
P6270006.JPG
Light layer of primer, barely covering the patch & bodywork underneath
P6270008.JPG
Need the bridge refinished & re-assembled so I can do a setup & check the piezo pickups = It's Coming Along
P6270010.JPG
_Blue threadlocker on bridge screws = Loctite 242 & Fret Rocker & Electronics
P6270012.JPG
The short neck rest is perfect to have the Fly level with the body rested on the towel/table top, Tuner Lock Knobs are 1/2" from the table
P6270014.JPG
Got Something in the primer here? DARN IT! Cat Hair~~~

The Takamine had me dragging my feet on getting the Parker Fly repaired
I've had the Parker for almost 9-10 months, but it was in the basement for almost 2 years before that...
It is going to take lots more sanding & fiberglass filler in several spots before I finally finish primer & then will use sealer & apply the Ford Paint when I get around to it
Thinking about having decals made for the Parker Guitars, Fly Guitar & Serial# Logos
Will wait & see how the Takamine Decals turn out = Due Tomorrow in the mail
Will wait & see..

WILL WORK FOR PARKER FLY :mrgreen: