Chrome vinyl wrap

Parts, mods, projects, and requests/concepts based on adaptations of Fly parts
Musikron

Chrome vinyl wrap

Post by Musikron »

So after seeing that chrome fly in the springs thread, I can't stop thinking about how incredible that would look on stage, photos, or on video.
My fly is a 98 red classic, 9/10 cosmetically. It's my main guitar, and though the translucent blood red over mahogany finish is damn near flawless after 30 years, it's hardly a sexy color that shows off the contours of the guitar very well unless under very good and flattering lighting. The metallic red back is much better in this regard.
I have no real interest in refinishing it, though I do wish it was another color, because that's a laborious process without some inherent risks of it's own. I'd always said I'd do silver or galaxy grey if something terrible happens and I HAD to do some major surgery on my fly, but that chrome did what I liked about those other two colors even better.
Which brings me to a wrap.
I've found some cool looking chromed vinyl wrap material for not too ridiculous of a price. This stuff is marketed towards automobiles, but because off the chromed layer, is supposedly very difficult to work around curves, which I'm imagining the Fly has much sharper and pronounced curves than any car I can think of.
I guess I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this stuff or thoughts on the subject?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Chrome vinyl wrap

Post by vjmanzo »

Hey Musikron,

I’ve never tried it myself, but I’ve seen a few Flys wrapped with wraps from https://www.skinyourskunk.com and the looked really professional to my eye. Maybe they have an approach (or even a design?) you can borrow?

IIR, our fellow member @TheGrail has done a skin wrap with a few Flys.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

I’ve applied vinyl to the tops of a few guitars (including a Fly), and invariably remove the wrap after about a year. “On stage, photos, or on video” sums up the only thing it’s good for: Viewing from a distance. I also found I hate the feeling of my sweaty picking hand touching the wrap.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Chrome vinyl wrap skin for a Fly

Post by vjmanzo »

mmmguitar wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:52 pm I’ve applied vinyl to the tops of a few guitars (including a Fly), and invariably remove the wrap after about a year.
That is very helpful info, Marc—thanks. I’ve considered doing this a few times and wondered if it would ultimately be something I’d undo for some reason.

#FinishMatters
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

I found a photo of what happened after I thought I had done an okay job. I circled areas where the vinyl contracting in the weeks after application caused wrinkling or tearing/fraying around contours. The area around the tension wheel had the edges of the vinyl unadhere and curl up. Again: From a distance, there was an illusion that I owned a swirl-dipped Fly (and maybe I will, at some point). But in the end, the vinyl felt far more satisfying to peel off and three-point into a bin.

65C67ED5-EE3A-488C-879F-60D2BD0B7157.jpeg
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Musikron

Post by Musikron »

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. The Fly has lots of tight radii and odd shaped holes and cut outs all over the place. And that wasn't even a "hard to work with" chrome wrap.
I'm still not talked down front the ledge yet though! How crafty would you say you are 1-10? I'd rate myself a solid 8 to 9. If you're a 5 and did that good of a job... I dunno I'm tired and I just want a chrome fly.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

@Musikron, I encourage you to give it a shot and share the results. I’m sharing the pitfalls I encountered in the hope that others will either do a better job or better align their expectations with reality. I consider myself crafty enough to swirl the guitar for real, next time (fingers crossed).
Musikron

Post by Musikron »

That's about where I'm at with it as well. The only thing I have to lose is time and money, and I only care about one of those anyways.
quietlyartistic

Post by quietlyartistic »

So cool @musikron
I too had this thought, chrome vinyl wrap on a Parker Fly.
Was stoked to see someone else on the same wavelength... and just recently.
Any progress here?

I'm thinking about just doing the top and sides.
Would love to know more if you did follow through.
~Kaz
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

FWIW, even though I swore off vinyl wraps as a concept after peeling that Fly, I always thought vacuum-bagging after application would produce better results than what I achieved (particularly with a guitar body as contoured as a Fly’s).