Fly headstock findings

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
MadMac

Fly headstock findings

Post by MadMac »

hello,
while setting up my two fly's i'll found that the classic has classic printed on the headstock...
the deluxe has guitars... under the Parker name...
did some research and only found that the Classic has Classic standing on...
interesting this extra approach...
are there any other fly's with there name on?

Fly Artist 95'
FlyArtist.jpg
Fly Supreme 95'
FlySupreme.jpg
Fly Deluxe 95' - Hipshot tuners
IMG_4649.jpeg
Fly Classic 98' - Graphtech tuners -> best
IMG_4650.jpeg
happy flying'
M.
life is what you make it...
You should have no difficulty looking at stains on the walls or the ashes of a fire or the clouds or mud, and if you look closely at these things you will find wonderful new ideas, because the mind is stimulated by insignificant things to new inventions.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Fly headstock findings

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @MadMac; cool, right?!

Yes, a few models had that; we had a thread on the Classic going not too long ago.

The Classic and Supreme had this for a short while. Maybe others? Mysterious! 😝
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

Interesting question:

What do you like more about the Graphtech tuners? I've never seen them.
just plain lost
MadMac

Post by MadMac »

@@jb63
well to make it short... the perfect build quality & different speeds ratios for the strings...
that is engineering... where people think about the needs of the user and not what the creator likes to see....
i‘ll love perfect engineering and if it‘s god i‘ll have no problem to pay some extra money for it... because often it holds a lifetime... and you have a lifetime fun with it... like with the Fly‘s...
all other from Sperzel to Hipshot are half baken... it‘s not worked to the end... where is the ratio... ? why are those two are so hard to turn...
these are the first machine heads that are worth the price.... hence the mention of those...
to me the best on market and if you change... than have a look ... no new holes ... just fit .. comes with all tools and plates you need...
Hipshot was good but Graphtech is killer...
don‘t like to have a expensive super guitar and important parts are not up to date... like the machine heads ;-) or the nut ...
A right handed set of Ratio Calibrated Machine Heads for electric guitar that use 6 in-line tuners. It has a two pin casing that can be used as is, or with our InvisoMatch mounting plates. 4 Sets of InvisoMatch mounting plates in brushed aluminum are included to make installation on most guitars fast and accurate by using your existing screw mounting holes.

Ratio - Tuned Machine Heads incorporate different string gauges into the tuning equation. From Low E to High E 39:1, 24:1, 20:1, 35:1, 20:1, 12:1. We balanced the gear ratios to each string simplifying the tuning process. With Ratio, a half turn is a semi-tone! Every string reacts the same to any tuning adjustment. Predictable, precise tuning, on every string.
https://graphtech.com/collections/ratio ... 9589722135
You should have no difficulty looking at stains on the walls or the ashes of a fire or the clouds or mud, and if you look closely at these things you will find wonderful new ideas, because the mind is stimulated by insignificant things to new inventions.
MadMac

Post by MadMac »

had to repost here too @ @vjmanzo
FYI—I spoke with @Ken Parker earlier today and, in passing, asked about the “label” differences on the Classic through the years, and he said “I have no idea”. :lol:

To me, it sounds like an idea that was championed more so by the marketing team at Parker Guitars during those early years than by Ken and Larry, but I don’t think we’ll ever know for certain.
do we have any old Parker workers who maybe know?
it's interesting... because it needs some extra work...
and why than only for "Classic" ...
no "Artist" nor "Supreme" ... was thinking those expensive and not often build lines will have the name there...
but no only the Classic...
my theory:
the classic is the real master fly ... the wood... the shape ... it's the perfect combination... ;-)
a master piece ...
all other ... and if they are more expensive... are copy's of the classic...
the "Classic" is the real deal...
go get a Classic now... these are the true Parker wonders ;-) hehe
they play by themself... you only have to put your fingers on and bam...
the Fly wonder happen... ;)

well the differences between my two fly's are:
the classic has a smaller neck !
the classic smells better...
the classic sounds fatter...
but i'll love also my deluxe ...

thx
M.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Haha I’m loving your various theories, @MadMac, and, as I mentioned, the one person who I’d trust to remember this, @Ken Parker, said he has no record of why that logo was done on some guitars and not others.

Now...regarding your theory about the archetypal “master Fly”...Ken has confirmed on numerous occasions that the Fly he intended to mass-produce was the Fly Deluxe with a redwood neck and a poplar body...that was the first production Fly from 1993. He made the first batch of around 60 Flys and, when the next batch was made without him selecting the redwood pieces, when the Flys were finished, there were certain Flys in that batch that produced wolf tones, which is not uncommon for redwood. Sadly, you can’t really tell if redwood will produce wolf tones until you finish the instrument! Ken must have intuitively been selecting “better” pieces of wood for he first batch of Deluxes, but when that job was given to others in his team, according to Ken: some of the Flys had the strangest, unearthly sympathetic vibrations. Those Flys with wolf tones were destroyed, and Ken decided that redwood was too much of a variable for a production line so he switched to using basswood for the necks. Parker Guitars almost went out of business in 1993 over that!! Regardless: if there is a “master Fly”, in Ken’s book, the redwood-neck Deluxe is probably it!

To further debunk your theory (which...again: I love!), Ken did not want to call the Fly Classic “the Fly Classic”; he wanted to reserve “Classic” for the Fly Nylon “Classical” model that was introduced shortly thereafter. It was, unfortunately, one of those situations where Ken’s opinions were subordinated to those responsible for marketing. There are some notable examples of this, sadly; for example, Ken wanted all of the Fly finishes to be textured like the “Fly Hardtail” model (a.k.a. Stealth”), and, for a time, wanted to use denim as a finish (according to Ken, roughly half the cost of a Fly and potentially all guitars was/is spent on the finish). Did you know that Ken never wanted to name the Fly Mojo “the Mojo”, but “Fly Mojo” it is! Ken also wanted to call bolt-on neck Flys the “Bolt” instead of the NiteFly (e.g. “I gotta Fly...I gotta Bolt”)! 😮

By the time some people are done trying to wrap their head around one of Ken’s ideas, he’s already moved on to a few more ideas! 😝 And you probably already sensed this: Ken has strong and well-reasoned opinions, but he’d much rather spend his time improving the instruments/tooling than arguing with administrators and execs about details like that. So, every now and then, we come across some unique aspect of the Fly (like the Classic headstock logo!) and have to wonder if that was “a Ken and Larry’s idea” or if it was an idea that a marketing consultant suggested...Parker Fly Luggage Tag anyone?! 😂
MadMac

Post by MadMac »

vjmanzo wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:59 am Haha I’m loving your various theories, @MadMac, and, as I mentioned, the one person who I’d trust to remember this, @Ken Parker, said he has no record of why that logo was done on some guitars and not others.

Now...regarding your theory about the archetypal “master Fly”...Ken has confirms on numerous occasions that the Fly he intended to mass-produce was the Fly Deluxe with a redwood neck and a poplar body...that was the first production Fly from 1993. He made the first batch of around 60 Flys and, when the next batch was made without him selecting the redwood pieces, when the Flys were finished, there were certain Flys in that batch that produced wolf tones, which is not uncommon for redwood. Sadly, you can’t really tell if redwood will produce wolf tones until you finish the instrument! Ken must have intuitively been selecting “better” pieces of wood for he first batch of Deluxes, but when that job was given to others in his team, according to Ken: some of the Flys had the strangest, unearthly sympathetic vibrations. Those Flys with wolf tones were destroyed, and Ken decided that redwood was too much of a variable for a production line so he switched to using basswood for the necks. Parker Guitars almost went out of business in 1993 over that!! Regardless: if there is a “master Fly”, in Ken’s book, the redwood-neck Deluxe is probably it!

To further debunk your theory (which...again: I love!), Ken did not want to call the Fly Classic “the Fly Classic”; he wanted to reserve “Classic” for the Fly Nylon “Classical” model that was introduced shortly thereafter. It was, unfortunately, one of those situations where Ken’s opinions were subordinated to those responsible for marketing. There are some notable examples of this, sadly; for example, Ken wanted all of the Fly finishes to be textured like the “Fly Hardtail” model (a.k.a. Stealth”), and, for a time, wanted to use denim as a finish (according to Ken, roughly half the cost of a Fly and potentially all guitars was/is spent on the finish). Did you know that Ken never wanted to name the Fly Mojo “the Mojo”, but “Fly Mojo” it is! Ken also wanted to call bolt-on neck Flys the “Bolt” instead of the NiteFly (e.g. “I gotta Fly...I gotta Bolt”)! 😮
thank you!
so happy that you know all this info and share it here...
love it... those insider info...
if you're in love with your guitar... you want to know it all...
well after reading your info twice... i'll see the answer in it...
you confirmed it... the first where amazing but still not the finished line...
and when the classic was build first time... all was coming together...
the mahogany wood the basswood neck ... the mechanics and finally the master tone...
no disharmonies anymore in the wood... the perfect synergy ...
after the first build ... all involved noticed ... that's the perfect guitar the perfect fly the classic fly :idea:
now it makes sense ... why they named it "Classic" secretly ...
without notice to Ken...
it's this insider sign on a guitar... once you know ... you recon it...
and you know that is one of this master build guitars...
you have to own...
when i'll open'd her first time... i'll felt the magic ... the mahogany wood smell... the energy...
and when i'll touched her... she respond with a warm vibration...
after cleaning her and setting her up proper... she was so thankful that someone removed the dust & dirt from 25 years using her...
she respond with a magical warm long sustain when touching the strings...
you could feel the happy vibration going through the wood...
a true Fly Classic it is... hence her name...
IMG_4437.jpeg
IMG_4415.jpeg
and as it looks like ... not many transblue classics are made...
because the magic ocean blue paint was gone...
and the new wasn't magic anymore...
without magic ... no true classic...
so they switched to transred...
and the "Classic" was gone... ;-)
never mind ... but this transblue is magic...

how it change the color with the light...
IMG_4397.jpeg
i'll love my Fly's ...
M.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

I think I can safely say that you like your Fly Classic. Mine is also the best Fly I’ve owned, out of six. Let’s hope my guitars don’t see your posts and become jealous.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
MadMac

Post by MadMac »

YES @ @mmmguitar
my wife is jealous... share the bed with a Fly :shock:

but there some others with the classic ... vibe... :D
0F10203D-6FAE-47AB-99E2-602DA75381E6.jpeg
0F10203D-6FAE-47AB-99E2-602DA75381E6.jpeg (103.46 KiB) Viewed 7733 times
DBBE8DDC-6D71-434F-826C-81D64769C674.jpeg
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

MadMac wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:25 am ... all involved noticed ... that's the perfect guitar the perfect fly the classic fly :idea:
now it makes sense ... why they named it "Classic" secretly ...
without notice to Ken...
😂 great...now we have “Parker Fly Fake News”!! 😝

Love it, @MadMac!! And how wonderful to discover that both da Vinci and Jimi Hendrix had Flys!!! 🤣
MadMac

Post by MadMac »

another....
Nitefly ... only seen the first 3 years?
1997 -2000
FD48C6D5-0FDD-40DB-A5AE-7F3E51028510.jpeg
thx
M.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Great, @MadMac; I can confirm that my 1997 NFVM3 has this logo as well. 👍🏻
MadMac

Post by MadMac »

hello,
well another finding...
the Fly Supreme above from 96' has Guitars...
while the 97 and a 99 have Supreme on headstock
interesting...
so looks like it got used from 97 to 2000-2003?
Supreme 97'
Fly_Supreme97.jpg
Supreme 99'
Fly_Supreme99.jpg
M.
Barry
PM20 Expert

Post by Barry »

Just as an addendum to this thread and to further illustrate the Marketing interference in the brand, my 2005 PM20's head stock carries the "Hornet" designation, which appears to have been dropped shortly after it was introduced. So it looks like it was to have been a campaign of some sort, which fizzled out:

Love one woman, many guitars.
Or, was it the other way around?

Guitars: https://legend.barryeames.com
MadMac

Post by MadMac »

many thx @ @Barry,
also very interesting finding!
many thx for sharing it...
love those details...
thx
M
flyguy99

Post by flyguy99 »

MadMac wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:43 am
@@jb63
well to make it short... the perfect build quality & different speeds ratios for the strings...
that is engineering... where people think about the needs of the user and not what the creator likes to see....
i‘ll love perfect engineering and if it‘s god i‘ll have no problem to pay some extra money for it... because often it holds a lifetime... and you have a lifetime fun with it... like with the Fly‘s...
all other from Sperzel to Hipshot are half baken... it‘s not worked to the end... where is the ratio... ? why are those two are so hard to turn...
these are the first machine heads that are worth the price.... hence the mention of those...
to me the best on market and if you change... than have a look ... no new holes ... just fit .. comes with all tools and plates you need...
Hipshot was good but Graphtech is killer...
don‘t like to have a expensive super guitar and important parts are not up to date... like the machine heads ;-) or the nut ...
A right handed set of Ratio Calibrated Machine Heads for electric guitar that use 6 in-line tuners. It has a two pin casing that can be used as is, or with our InvisoMatch mounting plates. 4 Sets of InvisoMatch mounting plates in brushed aluminum are included to make installation on most guitars fast and accurate by using your existing screw mounting holes.

Ratio - Tuned Machine Heads incorporate different string gauges into the tuning equation. From Low E to High E 39:1, 24:1, 20:1, 35:1, 20:1, 12:1. We balanced the gear ratios to each string simplifying the tuning process. With Ratio, a half turn is a semi-tone! Every string reacts the same to any tuning adjustment. Predictable, precise tuning, on every string.
https://graphtech.com/collections/ratio ... 9589722135
@MadMac Which graphtech set did you use?

1) The staggered head posts:
String post length to string hole: 5 AND 6, 0.827” (21mm) - 3 AND 4 0.787", (20mm) - 1 AND 2, 0.748" (19mm)
https://graphtech.com/products/ratio-el ... 9728986135

or

2) The all the same length head posts:
string post length to string hole: 0.910” (23mm)
https://graphtech.com/products/prl-8721 ... 9715485719
MadMac

Post by MadMac »

Hello,
well i‘ll use the staggered once…
working very well and i‘ll changed all tuners on my other guitars too…
to me the best tuners out there… great engineering … worth every penny…
thx
M.
flyguy99

Post by flyguy99 »

Thanks for quick reply. I just ordered a set of the staggered posts. Cheers!