First-Year (1993) Flys and Bridge Options

General musical discussions that don't fall under other categories.
RIJO

Re: New to Parkers or to this Forum?? READ THIS FIRST

Post by RIJO »

I am interested in knowing what Fly models and options were first produced (I.E.1993). I wanted to buy one and the seller says that it is a 1993 Classic Fly, hardtail, piezo pickup. I was under the impression that only Deluxe models were offered at the time. If not, was the deluxe the flagship model at the time or was the classic (or any other model). Also since this one in a hardtail, I wanted to know what other options were available at the on the deluxe and any other potential models in 1993. I tried to find this info, but it proved difficult looking at information related to specific production years. It seems the the first catalogue only mentioned the deluxe model. Please......enlighten me! Thanks!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @RIJO—you are correct that the first Flys in 1993 were hardtail Deluxes.
vjmanzo wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:42 pm
The best way to learn about the different Parker Guitars models is to read through the catalogs here.
The very first Flys (about 60 or fewer) had a poplar body and a redwood neck. Ken immediately switched to a basswood neck to better-facilitate production as redwood necks can be troublesome in terms of consistency.
the History post contains a lot of information, but reading it will answer many questions you may have about Parker Guitars and the various components used in the Fly.
And additional wood-types were added as years progressed—sometimes only in a short run!
The differences between Fly models can be found by comparing the wood types here...
RIJO

Post by RIJO »

So are only the redwood ones from the first year hardtail, or were all the guitars that year hardtail? I looked at their first catalogue and I now see that there was a version with a vibrato unit, but am unsure when they were first introduced after production started.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Most of the 1993 Flys were hardtail, and all of the first Flys were hardtails. Korg pushed Ken to devise a vibrato just as the Fly was going to market, so by 1994 the vibrato was a standard option on all available Fly models. I don’t personally own a ‘93 with a vibrato, but I think they were fairly common though, lacking any actual data, most Flys made that year were likely hardtails.