Tremolo Springs

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
rjsa00

Tremolo Springs

Post by rjsa00 »

Hi,
It's very hard to find #9 and #10 springs for the tremolo system on the Parker Fly. You can still get #11 and #12 springs on Ebay or Reverb. Does anyone have any experience with string and spring gauges higher than 10.
Thanks,
R.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Tremolo Springs

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @rjsa00; I’ve tried in the past using an 11 spring with a set of 10s and it does not calibrate properly; the whole vibrato system really is designed so well, but, alas, you can’t reliably get the intended full-flooring balance with a mismatched spring to string-gauge set. You can probably get away with bend-down only (as per the manual), and, of course, if you don’t use the vibrato system, you can certainly block the bridge.

FWIW—we are working on a solution to make more springs, which you can subscribe to in this post.
rjsa00

Post by rjsa00 »

That's what I thought @vjmanzo Flys are fine-tune machines. I don't want to modify the nut in order to use 11s or 12s strings. So I'll keep the tremolo locked or bend-down only while waiting for your solution.
Keep up the good work and thanks,
R.
Wheresthedug

Post by Wheresthedug »

Afraid I haven't tried it. I bought a used Fly last year and immediately snapped the spring. I managed to find a replacement 10 on Reverb from Gman.Music but I've just checked and they don't seem to have any listed now, Have you tried contacting them and asking just in case?
rjsa00

Post by rjsa00 »

I haven't contacted them directly but I check Ebay and Reverb everyday. There is a guy on Ebay, guitarstable, that says he purchased the entire remaining inventory from USM when they went out of business and only have a few #11 and #12 left.
Wheresthedug

Post by Wheresthedug »

That’s a bummer. It’s a long shot but probably still worth an email to both Gman and wiguitar just incase.
rjsa00

Post by rjsa00 »

i’ll try it @Wheresthedug, because i need a spring badly. i can’t use the tremolo on the floating position. Every time I pull up the bar, the spring rattles and falls.
Thanks.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

@rjsa00, if your spring is falling out, you may find this guide helpful.

Even with a mismatched spring, it shouldn’t fall out; you should be able to at least get bend-down mode to work.
rjsa00

Post by rjsa00 »

Bend-down works perfectly, the problem is with the floating position bend-up. Thanks for the link, that guide was very informative but it didn't work. Do you think there is a problem with the tremolo system or just the spring?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Unfortunately, if you don’t have the spring that is rated for the string gauge you’re using then floating bridge mode will never balance as intended.
rjsa00

Post by rjsa00 »

Do you know the springs' specifications? I read they have the same thickness but different width. How do you know what type of spring is without the gauge number written on it?
Thanks.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Springs varied in size through the years, and most springs are labeled with a painted or stamped number on one side while some other springs have no number written.

Unfortunately, if there’s no number on the spring, there is no way of telling for certain what the spring rating is just by looking at it.
Laughinglarry
Forum Veteran

Post by Laughinglarry »

I intend to take a micrometer to known 9 and 10 springs, and will report my findings here when I get the chance to do that.

I have 2 springs that I BOUGHT as 9's, but they aren't stamped, and I haven't been willing to try them. But since I do have stamped ones I'm hoping the micrometer gives consistent readings. If anyone else has done this, please report your findings here, so I have some verification.
Owner since '98, ADDICT since '08
That would be a SWARM...
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @Laughinglarry, as I mentioned: we’re working on understanding more about the springs now, but, with regard to verifying what you have:

9 springs are .022 thick C1095 annealed steel
10 springs are .024 thick C1095 annealed steel
hapsong

Post by hapsong »

rjsa00 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:07 pm Hi,
It's very hard to find #9 and #10 springs for the tremolo system on the Parker Fly. You can still get #11 and #12 springs on Ebay or Reverb. Does anyone have any experience with string and spring gauges higher than 10.
Thanks,
R.
I just purchased a 10 spring from this guy for $30 - a bit pricey but I needed it - he shipped it right out.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 531248228/

also - I contacted Gman Music on Reverb and he said he thought he had some Parker 10 springs in his warehouse that he's sell for $19.55 - I'm waiting to hear back from him..
2004 Fly Mojo Natural, 2008 Fly Artist Butterscotch, www.gregmatses.com
rjsa00

Post by rjsa00 »

Thanks for the info. Sadly, springs are valued for their scarcity.
rjsa00

Post by rjsa00 »

Hi,
Finally, I scored a #9 spring on Craigslist the other day. I installed it on my Parker Fly right away. Now the spring falls or rattles only if it's in the groove closest to the back of the guitar. I'm fine with that, but the tremolo bar feels a little stiff. I borrowed a #12 spring from a friend and it does the same thing, I only changed strings for this gauge.
The tremolo system looks fine and works perfectly on the bend down position. The problem is only when it's on the floating position.
Thanks,
R.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Congrats on finding a 9 spring; yes, the different grooves in the three-ridge spring plate control how stiff the bar feels.

It should not rattle; have you set it up properly so that there’s an appropriate amount of tension on the spring? This post may help. A spring that’s mismatched with a string gushed will never work properly in floating mode.
Parker Man

Post by Parker Man »

I've have a couple parkers (early type). I installed 13pin access on both and have been a real parker fan-promoter for a lot of years. My Supreme is my main axe out of many guitars. Over the past few years I've had problems and was not able to make my guitar trem work right. I switched the hard tail button and hoped it would be better. It doesn't stay in tune. A couple shops charged me to set it up right. They were not successful.

I'm wondering if there is a good way to install another kind of trem (with 13 pin) so I can quit all of my trem problems. Does anyone have a suggestion. I would be very appreciative of any help I can get.

Thanks for reading,
Darvin
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi Darvin @Parker Man—sorry to hear the issue. IMO it would be best to figure out where the problem is with your current bridge before trying to retrofit another bridge.

We can try to help; it would be best to start a new thread topic and post some photos.