New here. I built a Parker like guitar

Show and tell! This is a place to showcase your Parker guitar! New members are encouraged to introduce themselves here.
sa8ter21

New here. I built a Parker like guitar

Post by sa8ter21 »

Hello I'm new here. (Obviously)

Always loved Parker flys on how they look and how they sound. Still to this day have always wanted one and wish I would have bought one back in early 2010s when they were alot cheaper then they are now. Back then I used to work at a guitar shop building guitars. I had always wanted a Parker and one of the guys who is a family friend who also designed alot of the guitars and fixtures knew someone who worked at Washburn and he had the cad route for the Parker fly top carve so I asked him if we could carve out a body and I could just kindof make a Parker fly look alike and that's what we ended up doing. Found a neck that was strat style and it was a scrap neck because it had a crack in the neck so I pulled it out of the trash and cut the headstock like a fly aswell.

It never got finished painted because the company went under right as the finish was being done so it just has half done silver on it.

Is it ok to talk and post pictures about it?
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: New here. I built a Parker like guitar

Post by mmmguitar »

sa8ter21 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:19 pm Is it ok to talk and post pictures about it?
Please do. And welcome.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hey @sa8ter21—welcome! I’d love to see that guitar (certainly doesn’t violate our rules to show it off in this thread!)!
sa8ter21

Post by sa8ter21 »

PXL_20211207_230229671.jpg
Here is the front shot of the Fly that I built.
Alder body
Maple neck
Madagascar Rosewood
Tonepros tunenomatic bridge and stop tail
MusicMan EVH DiMarzio prototype pickups (knew a guy who worked at EBMM when EVH was trying to have them make his guitars) have a push pull on tone nob to split coils.
Gotoh tuners
Graphtech nut

Built it back around like 2014-2015.
sa8ter21

Post by sa8ter21 »

PXL_20211207_230244117.jpg
sa8ter21

Post by sa8ter21 »

PXL_20211207_230258425.jpg
sa8ter21

Post by sa8ter21 »

PXL_20211207_230309352.jpg
sa8ter21

Post by sa8ter21 »

PXL_20211207_230320933.jpg
sa8ter21

Post by sa8ter21 »

Still have never held a Parker Fly in my hands and would love to have one someday I just know that my on and off playing wouldn't justify the price of one lol.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

sa8ter21 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:19 pmI just know that my on and off playing wouldn't justify the price of one lol.
You’re more disciplined than me. My skills don’t even justify owning a queen mattress. I’m trying to rationalize the purchase of one or more guitars as being a reward for not buying as many guitars recently.

Did you rout a a strat style neck pocket, glue them together, then paint over it? Considering how thin a typical Fly body is, it looks like you essentially erred on the side of having a volute at the neck joint. Does it sustain well?
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
sa8ter21

Post by sa8ter21 »

mmmguitar wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:54 am
sa8ter21 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:19 pmI just know that my on and off playing wouldn't justify the price of one lol.
You’re more disciplined than me. My skills don’t even justify owning a queen mattress. I’m trying to rationalize the purchase of one or more guitars as being a reward for not buying as many guitars recently.

Did you rout a a strat style neck pocket, glue them together, then paint over it? Considering how thin a typical Fly body is, it looks like you essentially erred on the side of having a volute at the neck joint. Does it sustain well?
Lol yeah I tend to try to keep things I want more to if I'll use them enough for how much they cost. Like my 3d printers and butterfly knives. But idk I've been trying to play more lately so maybe I'll pull the trigger and buy one sometime and then get a DiMarzio super distortion and paf pro set made for it.

For the neck it was more that one of the brands of guitar that we made at the shop (Fano) there was a neck that had 6 inline headstock and it had a crack in the none structural part of it making it useless for them to sell so I pulled it out of the trash. I routed the neck pocket to work with it and then glued it in and ground as much as I could feel comfortable away to make the neck joint as small as I could. I then just carved the back of the body which I could have done ALOT more but I was afraid of structure more then anything so I left it.

It does sustain pretty damn nice and the pickups that are in it are pretty versatile. I haven't played in like 8 years and kindof forgot everything I knew how to play. Just have to pickup the guitar and play again.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Should be fun getting back on the horse. If you ever get ahold of a Fly with Gen 1 Dimarzios, I’d be curious to know your thoughts on how they compare to your EVH set.
sa8ter21

Post by sa8ter21 »

mmmguitar wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:20 pm Should be fun getting back on the horse. If you ever get ahold of a Fly with Gen 1 Dimarzios, I’d be curious to know your thoughts on how they compare to your EVH set.
It should. I'm not really into writing music more just into playing along to songs I like.

I'll have to compare them I hear the gen1 pickups are pretty good. Hopefully I can find the will to grab one before they get to high in price.
billy
Forum Veteran

Post by billy »

Saw this on Facebook- still think it’s cool!
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...