First Parker, finish issues

General musical discussions that don't fall under other categories.
stereosilence

First Parker, finish issues

Post by stereosilence »

I just bought my brother's Fly Classic to keep it in the family. I'm super excited about it (now I need to get good at playing guitar!)

The finish is natural mahogany, but has a nasty, milky haze in it. I assume it has absorbed air moisture somehow. Is there any way to get rid of it short of having it totally refinished? I've seen it suggested to a hair dryer or polishing compound, but I don't want to damage anything.
20211122_171251.jpg
20211122_171301.jpg
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: First Parker, finish issues

Post by mmmguitar »

This seems to be a commonly reported/photographed issue afflicting both Ken and USM-era Flys with that finish, over time.

Unfortunately, I don’t recall any solution less invasive than stripping the poly (not a fun job) and refinishing being reported on the old forum. Even if you were to rough up the poly and spray an opaque color over it, it’s possible that the haze is resulting from the finish delaminating from the guitar.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with other suggestions.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Finish is hazy or cloudy

Post by vjmanzo »

Unfortunately, I think @mmmguitar’s assessment is spot on.

I would take it to a professional if you’d prefer not to live with that milky color. Is it that bad? It looks almost “relic’d” in the photo 🤷

#FinishMatters
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

I used to troll finish haze ones on ebay because they were $500 cheaper. I say leave it like it is because it is unique and still plays like a parker!
just plain lost
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

jb63 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:38 pm I used to troll finish haze ones on ebay because they were $500 cheaper.
What did you end up doing with them?
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

I never bought any of them, but I considered it! I really like this one...
just plain lost
stereosilence

Post by stereosilence »

I wish it was a bit "cooler" in terms of the aging. The haze is very widespread and really hides the wood top, which is a shame. It was such a gorgeous wood grain when it was new. I would love to have it fixed or refinished for sentimental reasons (I don't plan to ever sell it), but I'm not sure if I can afford that.

Does anyone have any information on what type of finish was used for this guitar? I know a lot of the materials were innovative and non-standard. I also heard there is a person who worked on the finishes that still does refinishing work. Maybe I'll contact that person and see if they have any advice or a quote on having it totally refinished.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

stereosilence wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:53 pm Does anyone have any information on what type of finish was used for this guitar?
Yes, there's some info on Finishes in this thread
stereosilence wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:53 pm I also heard there is a person who worked on the finishes that still does refinishing work.
Yes, Shazrock's info is in the FAQ thread.