P-38, Lace Sensors, Piezo, Schaller Switch.

PM10s, PM20s, PDFs, and all other P Series guitars and basses
monchavo

Re: P-38, Lace Sensors, Piezo, Schaller Switch.

Post by monchavo »

vjmanzo wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:52 am Thanks, @monchavo! We’re glad to have you as part of this community!
My pleasure. I already have 27 guitars, but not a Fly, all this talk is making me consider one :D
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

monchavo wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:55 am I already have 27 guitars, but not a Fly, all this talk is making me consider one :D
Hahaha that's how it starts! :lol:
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

@monchavo, here are some (crummy) photos of the smaller powerchip and mag/piezo selector switch:
IMG_2011.JPG
IMG_2012.JPG
IMG_2013.JPG
Being as it’s not clear in the photos: The red/white wires soldered to the top of the board and braided together in the sheath are the mag/piezo stereo output to the appropriate contacts on the jack, with the bare wire from the underside of the board wrapped up with them going to ground.
monchavo

Post by monchavo »

mmmguitar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:01 pm @monchavo, here are some (crummy) photos of the smaller powerchip and mag/piezo selector switch
Being as it’s not clear in the photos: The red/white wires soldered to the top of the board and braided together in the sheath are the mag/piezo stereo output to the appropriate contacts on the jack, with the bare wire from the underside of the board wrapped up with them going to ground.
This is exceptionally useful. Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Just when I thought everything was going smoothly, a strange spanner has been thrown in the works.

The chap who owns the guitar did a "dry fit" of the Schaller switch. He notes that the switching mechanism on the Schaller fouls the tone pot when installed on the plate. He notes that flipping the switch around means that the flat side of the switch faces the pots and then does NOT foul the pot.

This seems to be a simple solution which would then require the wiring to the switch simply to be "inverted".... I am unclear if the switch would support this and if that would result in any other side effects. Is it just a simple matter of flipping the wiring diagram around?

Thanks again for your help.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

It seems to me that swapping the pickup leads soldered to contacts 2 and 3 would reverse the throw of the switch for this purpose. Of course, the commons used for the tone pot-outs would be affected, as well.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
monchavo

Post by monchavo »

mmmguitar wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:09 pm It seems to me that swapping the pickup leads soldered to contacts 2 and 3 would reverse the throw of the switch for this purpose. Of course, the commons used for the tone pot-outs would be affected, as well.
So swap 5 and 6 too?
monchavo

Post by monchavo »

mmmguitar wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:09 pm It seems to me that swapping the pickup leads soldered to contacts 2 and 3 would reverse the throw of the switch for this purpose. Of course, the commons used for the tone pot-outs would be affected, as well.
After a significant delay I am intending to travel over to my friend's house and do the soldering which will hopefully complete this project, this week.

I'll share pictures.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

I am just trying to help
Before it is said & done I will become the master of the Fly's Electronics trying to fix the one I am currently working on..
Just something I noticed looking at your 1st Photo
The jumper I will call it is plugged into a different place than the one I am working on, Mine might be wrong too..
I know enough about electronics to work on homes & cars & am limited to guitar workings but the Fly's are wired different than any others I have seen.
Most of this wiring is fairly simple compared to electronics used now days in computers etc.
I am thinking the capacitors may be the problem on these 15+ year old boards.

Anyhow I will attach a photo of the 2007 Parker Fly Deluxe's wiring showing the board..
What I am calling a jumper is a small black housing that jumps two pins on the board near where the red power from the 9volt battery attaches..
The 2nd photo mmmguitar shows as being the same as the one I have here..
Here's a decent photo of the Fly deluxe Board from 2007
FLY's Board.JPG
If I have too, I will be mailing this part to Larry Fishman to diagnose & repair..
Only wish my ole buddy Mean Marcus was still with us, He'd have that thing fixed in a few minutes..

I note: That I see cold solder joints which are dull & Not Shiny like they should be, Like they where soldered at too low of heat to join the parts as needed to allow current flow throughout the parts.. Just something I notice that I learned from the Master Mean Marcus.. RIP Ole Marcus..
FLY ROD Formerly FLY Wheel
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

Now you all have me looking for those two capacitors Marked
U2 10 16V with that odd base
61T-aQFmFaL._SL1500_.jpg
I have a bag full of capacitors that I repaired an electronic saxophone for my Son with.. IIRC a Bag of 100.. Hmmmm???
Will Have to look..
My Fluke should be able to test these but might have to be removed to get an accurate reading on them..
Just Thinking OUT LOUD..
Good Luck with the Repairs on these Parkers with Fishman Electronics
Gary

eBay maybe ---> https://www.ebay.com/itm/16V10MF454-Smd ... 2122626350
FLY ROD Formerly FLY Wheel
monchavo

Post by monchavo »

We did the work today. It seems to have been successful. Thanks for everyone's help.
monchavo

Post by monchavo »

vjmanzo wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:23 pm
monchavo wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:55 am I already have 27 guitars, but not a Fly, all this talk is making me consider one :D
Hahaha that's how it starts! :lol:
Thanks again for your help sir.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Congrats, @monchavo.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
monchavo

Post by monchavo »

mmmguitar wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:32 pm Congrats, @monchavo.
hey thanks man, couldn't have done without your incredible help

I've been working with guitars for thirty years .... the strangest thing is that when something works the first time --- you doubt yourself. The wiring seems to be working absolutely perfectly............
monchavo

Post by monchavo »

monchavo wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:32 am
vjmanzo wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:57 am
monchavo wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:41 am What is it about the thread that interests you?
For me, the dissemination of knowledge is where it’s at! This thread and these diagrams will continue to help others for years to come!
Once I get a working system I will redraw the diagram in a much more professional way for the benefit of those in the future.
seriously regretting this commitment right now

but.........i WILL do it
monchavo

Post by monchavo »

Dear Fly Clone friends

A year has passed and the guitar which I rewired with your amazing help is still in operation and working fine

The soldering process was straightforward, the wiring setup worked FIRST TIME and everything went incredibly smoothly.

Thanks again for your help.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Love it, @monchavo! ❤️ Congrats! 🎉