bridge posts issue - need some advice

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
igor

bridge posts issue - need some advice

Post by igor »

Hello! Maybe someone can guide me a bit here. I have a 98 Fly classic, and I was putting in a 12 gauge spring to use with 12 gauge strings. Everything went fine, I've done this before. But somewhere along the line it appears that the bridge posts moved up out of the body just a little bit somehow so now I can't bring the action down. What is the correct procedure for pushing them back down again? Thank you in advance.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: bridge posts issue - need some advice

Post by mmmguitar »

@Igor, are you able to post any photos of the issue?
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
igor

Post by igor »

@mmmguitar - thank you for replying so quickly. Here you go. It appears that the bridge bushing had slid down just a millimeter or two from where it was.
Attachments
IMG_5327.jpg
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

When I’ve had those move out or in for whatever reason, a few taps reseated it. Still, I suggest waiting for someone else’s input before you bang coated vice grip handles on the top of your bridge like I did when I didn’t feel like reaching for a rubber hammer.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Bridge bushings slipping out of body

Post by vjmanzo »

Hey @igor, Marc, and everyone reading this:

I’ve pinged @Ken Parker on this issue and asked him to write something in Ken’s Corner. I’ll be speaking with him this Friday and I’ll mention this issue again if he hasn’t responded by then. 👍🏻

I know that the NiteFly bridge bushings are glued in, so, if we can get the Fly bushings where they’re supposed to be, I think that’s a possible fix.

#VibratoBridge
igor

Post by igor »

vjmanzo wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:17 pm Hey @igor, Marc, and everyone reading this,

I’ve pinged @Ken Parker on this issue and asked him to write something in Ken’s Corner. I’ll be speaking with him this Friday and I’ll mention this issue again if he hasn’t responded by then. 👍🏻

I know that the NiteFly bridge bushings are glued in, so, if we can get the Fly bushings where they’re supposed to be, I think that’s a possible fix.
Wow, that's amazing. Thank you so much @vjmanzo - I will wait for the sage advice on this before touching anything. Luckily I have other flys I can play meanwhile!
igor

Post by igor »

Here is a better picture of the issue:
IMG_5333.jpg
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @igor, here's a direct quote from Cameron, @Ken Parker's assistant who worked with Ken at Parker Guitars from '93 - 2004, works with Ken at Ken Parker Archtops, and is an Affiliate Research Associate in our lab:
Just tap it back in, leak some SuperGlue in there, and hope for the best.
I'd take that advice as gospel ;) I suppose if it ends up needing to be shimmed in some way, it would be a similar process.

Keep us posted!
igor

Post by igor »

Cool, thank you @vjmanzo I was thinking something like that, but wouldn't super glue be a bit of a "strong arm" approach? After re-reading the leaning post issue post (this sounds funny), the process describes using white wood glue, which if necessary could be undone, whereas with superglue you are done for the end of time... What do you think?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

igor wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:08 pm leaning post issue post
:lol:

Yeah, I see your point. Ken and Cam are on another level, so if they do it, it's 100% as it should be and you'd want that work to be sturdy til the end of time. As I mentioned, the NiteFly bridge bushings are glued in and, if you glue in your Fly bushings, you do still have some "play" with regard to the bridge height. If it were me, I'd compare where it ought to be with another Fly and then go with the superglue. Whadayathink?
igor

Post by igor »

Yes, I can do that of course. I was also thinking that maybe I will just simply insert some stabilizer rings in there which would accomplish 2 things: 1. They would prevent the bushings from sliding upwards without any glue 2. If in the future this guitar develops some leaning post issue (I am using 12s on all of my flys) this would be a good profilactic measure (I have a fly with Patrick from iGuitar now which does have a leaning post issue, but it's a 2007). But I dunno, I am going to take the bridge out and then make my determination as to what I really want to do then.

Also, and again, thank you for all the help. I would probably give up on Parkes if it wasn't for this site, I came to the party late I am afraid.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

I think the stabalizer rings would do it; that leaning bridge post issue is a different (and uncommon) sort of problem, but I think what you're describing would do the trick.

Glad to hear things are working okay with Patrick, but be warned: Patrick has got a million stories, they're all interesting, and you can easily spend a few hours talking to him! :lol:

Happy to help! Thanks for the kind words! These are wonderful instruments, as you know, and they deserve to have their story told and preserved, and—even coming to the party late—you're part of that story now too!
igor

Post by igor »

Well, looks like my hand is forced. With just a few very very light taps the bushings just fell out. I am not sure what was even holding them in place. The stabilizer ring idea will not work unfortunately. After measuring the distance, there is no clearance for the stabilizer rings, I would have to sand them down to almost nothing. These are the stabilizer rings that I bought from ebay a while back. I am assuming that there is just a bit more clearance in the refined fly. Looks like it's going to have to glue after all. I'll post some pics soon.

Yes, Patrick definitely has a lot of stories. He told me a musician joke that really made me "ROFL", and I thought I heard them all!
igor

Post by igor »

Alright, I think I have succeeded without pouring super glue into the guitar. I re-read the leaning post article, not because I have that issue but because it contains a real wealth of surprising information. One thing in there is the author says that if the bushings are too loose, try turning them a bit when you insert them - they should create new grooves. Voila! This seems to have done the trick. I really thought about the glue solution, and even brought out some, but ultimately this is too scary a move for me for now. If the bushings sink again, I will do it, but for the time being this is fine. The guitar stays in tune and all is well. Thank you all for your help. I'll post some pics tomorrow - I took a lot of it apart and made some measurements.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Great to hear!!! Congrats!!

Special thanks to @billy for writing the ever-helpful “bridge post leaning guide“!
igor

Post by igor »

Some pics.

Top refers to the post that is closest to you if you are playing the guitar, and bottom is furthest.
IMG_5336.jpg
2021-09-14_9-38-43.jpg
IMG_5334.jpg
IMG_5335.jpg
billy
Forum Veteran

Post by billy »

Awesome! I should log in here more often…. (Lots going on, some good, some not so good.)

So glad the guide was helpful and you got your posts situated.

Fwiw, a little bit of elmers inside the body’s bushing hole might not hurt if superglue is too permanent feeling.

Let it cure up really well before you string things up.

The aluminum can shim is probably the least risky fix but also imho the most frustrating one to get in place correctly.
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

billy wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:32 am The aluminum can shim is probably the least risky fix but also imho the most frustrating one to get in place correctly.
[failed to load image of V.J. cutting his hands while attempting to make shims from a soda can.jpg]
billy
Forum Veteran

Post by billy »

:lol:
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...