DF524 or Fly Classic Hardtail ?

General musical discussions that don't fall under other categories.
Zinc Bath

DF524 or Fly Classic Hardtail ?

Post by Zinc Bath »

Hi, first post and no Parkers yet, but I'm looking at one of each of these next week.
Any guides on pros/cons or what I need to watch out for? The Hardtail is '96 and the DF is ~2011.
I'm normally a Strat/Tele guy and also use a Godin A6 for electric/acoustic blend.
My 'seasoned' back is complaining big time about the weight of the Fenders so if I'm going to carry on gigging it's gonna have to be a much lighter guitar, and I'm hoping a Parker might be the answer.
Any comments on the comfort or otherwise of the horn? I'm 5'7 and a smaller guitar body suits.
Thanks
ZB
jester700

Re: DF524 or Fly Classic Hardtail ?

Post by jester700 »

I have both of these. The classic is the complete fly "vision": carbon wrapped, lighter, etc. But I never play it. I prefer the feel of the 524's wooden neck, I like the trem, I prefer the Duncan pickups, and the hardtail horn is just...ugh.

I would bet, however, that I'm in the minority.

They shouldn't be the same price. I'd hope you can score the 524 for less, if you go that route.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

jester700 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:47 pm I would bet, however, that I'm in the minority.
Welll...maybe :lol: I mean, we didn't call it DFClone :lol:

@Zinc Bath, @jester700 is correct: the Fly is the complete vision that we're all into in some way or another, though, obviously, that particular design is not everyone's flame. For me, I'm about 5'7" and my Flys feel like home everytime I play them...sitting down or standing up.

If you're able to buy one from Guitar Center or another seller with a return policy, that's a good way to go; even if you end up spending $50 or so on shipping, IMO, it's worth it to know if that particular instrument is right for you.

Keep us posted! I think helping others buy Parkers is the next best thing to buying them yourself! ;)
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

My 2 cents: If you can get your hands on a Classic Hard Tail without breaking the bank, go for it. There should be no regrets.
My classic is by a long margin my favorite guitar in the world. And Ive played MANY.
Zinc Bath

Post by Zinc Bath »

Thanks for the input so far guys. Really appreciate the support.

I've dived in and bought the hardtail. 1994, Red and in very clean condition. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Been playing around with it since I got it home this evening and so far I love it, it oozes quality and feels very different from my stock Fenders. But I can tell I've got a learning curve to go through with the settings. The range of sounds it delivers is phenomenal and working out how to flip between them seamlessly is going to be fun to learn. Just downloaded the manual from the forum since the guitar came with no accessories or case.

From the impression it's made on me and the comments so far it seems I might have to find myself a DF524 too. If only for the HSS configuration which looks more Strat-like. I'm in the UK and I imagine Flys are rarer over here than in the US so I might have to wait a while to find a reasonably-priced model. We def pay a premium over US prices.

One further question before I close. The Fly I bought came fitted with 10s, but the manual says they ship with 9-42s. What are your thoughts on this? I'm used to 9s on my other guitars but wouldn't want to lose any of the sustain that I'm enjoying on my new Fly.

Thanks a lot, I'll post some pics tomorrow.

ZB
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Congrats, @Zinc Bath! It always makes me smile to hear someone speak enthusiastically about their first impressions of a Fly! Especially a hardtail Fly!

Compared to other guitars, Flys have a considerable amount of sustain even with 9s, but, as long as you’re not bothered by 10s, I would definitely encourage you to stick with those; 10s are better for tuning stability (although the Fly is a very stable beast!), and they give the pickups a little bit more to work with.

How’s the ol’ back feel playing that 4-ish lb. wonder? 😉
Zinc Bath

Post by Zinc Bath »

Thanks @vjmanzo , I'll persevere with the 10s for the time being.

And my back is feeling 10 years younger already .... Shame about the rest of me 😭😂
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

😂🤣
ahmadimran

Post by ahmadimran »

Congrats! Yes it's true we almost get the same excitement seeing others get a Parker Fly as getting one ourself lol. Looking forward to the photos.
Zinc Bath

Post by Zinc Bath »

Here are the pics of my newly acquired Fly Hardtail.
Considering its 1994 vintage it's in remarkable condition.
And it's very RED! No hiding on stage with this one.

Now to get to work on how to get the best out of it.

Thanks for all your input so far. What a great group this is.

ZB
Attachments
20210728_122233.jpg
20210728_122156.jpg
20210728_122403.jpg
20210728_122314.jpg
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Whoo!!!! That is hot!! 🔥 Nice!!
Patzag