Fly Bass (FB-4) History and Manual

Discussions of the FB-4, FB-5, and Fly Mojo bass
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Fly Bass (FB-4) History and Manual

Post by vjmanzo »

Below are documents created by both Parker Guitars forum members and manufacturers; PM me if you have relevant documents to add. If you are the author of one of these documents, PM me so we can give attribution.

Fly Bass History
Fly Bass (FB-4) Manual
Fly Bass Mojo (FB-4) Manual
Flybass5

Re: Fly Bass (FB-4) History and Manual

Post by Flybass5 »

I guess the "History" thing is my fault. ;-)
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hahaha @Flybass5, is that eBay screenshot citing your words?! ;)
Flybass5

Post by Flybass5 »

vjmanzo wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:30 pm Hahaha @Flybass5, is that eBay screenshot citing your words?! ;)
Yeah, that's me.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

I should have known! I had bets that it was Marvin, but, now that I think about it: it’s obvious!

In any event, thanks very much for writing that way back when! As you can tell, I liked it so much, that I took a screenshot and, ultimately, I posted it here.

Anything you care to share or redact? Besides that the Fly Bass kicks ass!!! :lol:
Flybass5

Post by Flybass5 »

I'll have to take another look at it.
I remember writing it while pissed-off
:-D
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

:lol:
DLQ

Post by DLQ »

Hi guys thanks for all the info on this site! I came across a Fly Bass, which follows the 7 digit scheme, but is apparently a 2006. Were there a lot of exceptions to the standard numbering system over the years?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @DLQ--do you own that bass? If it is indeed an FB-4 from that year, it could have been partially built in Wilmington and finished in Mundelein.

Are you by any chance referring to the sunburst FB-4 on Reverb?
DLQ

Post by DLQ »

I am! But it isn’t mine.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Thought so! I’ve been looking at that one for a few years, and I have no idea what the true story is, but it was either brought over from Wilmington or built in Mundelein; Parker Guitars moved in 2004 and the owner ordered it in 2005. I have heard reports from former USM/Parker employees that guitars and basses built in Wilmington were being finished and sold during the first couple years in Mundelein, but, it’s hard to know 1) if that’s true and 2) what that means for this particular bass.
Alejandro

Post by Alejandro »

What can I reasonably be expected to pay for an FB4 in Very Good or Excellent condition? I know nothing about basses in general, and I've never had a Parker bass of any kind. I'm thinking on buying one if only to satisfy my curiosity and maybe sell it back into the market or trade it for a Fly guitar. I must say, the FB4 silhouette is the weirdest thing I've ever seen (at least to my guitar-player eyes) :lol:
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

One sold today from Guitar Center for $1800, so I’d say anywhere around there.
Alejandro

Post by Alejandro »

I was looking at some on Reverb at a much higher price point. I'm glad I didn't pay 3k for one (thanks god I asked first). I'm going to check ebay and craigslist. $1800 definitely sounds very reasonable to my ears :lol:
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Not a problem; you’ll have to be a little more patient with the Fly basses as they don’t come up that often, but, like today: they do come up and you can get one for under $2k.

I LOVE my FB-4 and use it all the time in my studio!!! Definitely unconventional in appearance, but it’s so easy to play that it can make even a guitarist like me sound like a decent bass player! 😂
Alejandro

Post by Alejandro »

@vjmanzo VJ I got my hands on a Flybass FB5 today at my local guitar store in downtown. It's actually a bit more expensive than I want to pay ($2,999) but the guy let me fiddle with it. The guy told me he has a 4 string version at home he may want to sell; asking price is $2,300 (still a bit expensive). I'm waiting for pictures he promised to send me tonight; maybe he can go a bit lower given my eyebrows touching the roof whenever he pitches a price at me :lol:
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Very cool, @Alejandro! Glad you got to play one! What did you think?

Just an FYI: the PB-Basses look very similar to the Fly Bass, but they are quite different, so make sure you can see the carbon fiber on the back of the neck—that’s a quick way to know from photos that you’re looking at an FB4/FB5.
Alejandro

Post by Alejandro »

Yeah, I'm actually looking at the photos right now; I just got them. It looks super cool to me and it definitely has what looks like carbon fiber on the back of the neck; but $2,300! I'm not sure. I'll ask him to take it to the store tomorrow and I'll drop by at lunch so I can assess it better. It does look super cool. I had made a comment the other day about disliking the silhouette of the Flybass. I totally take that back. It's a cool looking instrument just like the Fly.
Take a look at this photo. Is that a legit FB4 or is it some Korean knock off.
IMG_0343.JPG
Alejandro

Post by Alejandro »

Nevermind, actually I think it's a prerefined FB4. I'm reading the History section right on top of this page, and there is an ebay screenshot of someone explaining the first Flybass from Wilmington had 7 numbers. This one looks like one of those based on the number. I'm probably going to buy it, but I'm still going to ask for a 10% discount lol