Stuck truss rod?

Discussions of the NiteFly NFV1-8, NFV-M, and NFV-SA models
Korosu

Stuck truss rod?

Post by Korosu »

On my '07 refined NiteFly the truss rod wheel isn't moving. I'm wondering if I am dealing with a stuck truss rod or it's just sticky and I only need a bit more leverage to get it to move. Does anyone have experience in dealing with this? Should I be taking this to an experienced tech or luthier to check this out?

I've tried to move it with the metal adjusting rod tool that came with the guitar, but the truss rod wheel is so tight that the tool starts to bend. Honestly, I think the tool is a bit cheap. Its metal seems weak - it's not as strong as a standard Allen key - and it doesn't fit perfectly within the holes of the truss rod wheel.

I did find a this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJJVk-GBX0c&t=759s (at the 8:51 mark) where this tech had exactly this issue with a NiteFly and he got it to move with enough leverage, but I'm by no means a tech and want to be cautious. I'm OK with attempting it myself unless the risk is great.

I suspect that this truss rod has never been moved ever since it's been in my possession. I'm the original owner, purchased in '07 when I knew a lot less about guitars (and I got a Parker!!!). I remember shortly after getting it I tried to move the truss rod wheel but it wouldn't budge so I left it alone, figuring I was way over my abilities. Several years ago I took it to a tech for a setup and he told me that the neck wasn't straight, but he never said anything about the truss rod being stuck which makes me wonder if he even tried moving it (I didn't know any better at the time to ask him). The truss rod could use a slight adjustment, but it's playable as-is and this isn't necessarily a major issue.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Stuck truss rod?

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @Korosu—you’re in luck: @Ken Parker wrote a post just for you here! It’s written for a Fly, but much of the same strategy can be applied.
Korosu

Post by Korosu »

I did see that. I was thinking and hoping that it applied more to earlier pre-refined Flys rather than refined NiteFlys. I guess I'm hoping that someone encountered the same thing with a NiteFly and could recommend whether to go ahead and just apply more force to get the wheel to turn. But I did forget about the recommendation for the drop of oil first; thanks for the reminder.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Gotcha, @Korosu; hopefully the drop of oil does the trick! Keep us posted!