Does Parker PDF30 come with hard to find parts?

Discussions of the Dragonfly and the Maxxfly guitars, the Maxxfly bass, and all DF variants
kokoshmusun

Does Parker PDF30 come with hard to find parts?

Post by kokoshmusun »

Hello all,

I was asking this question around the internet and I discovered this forum. I browsed the materials in the forum pages but I did not get a sense of what I'm going to ask.

I would like to buy a used Parker PDF30 (made in 2012) because it's an affordable light guitar and I need that for my back, plus I like the unique aspects of the Parker line. If I buy the Parker PDF30 and later some thing gets broken (nut, tuners, bridge, etc.), will I be stuck with an unusable guitar (because parts of impossible to find due to Parker not operating anymore) or will it be possible to use commonly available parts (even if that requires some tweaks to the body, which is fine by me)?

Note that I don't live in the USA so things are even more difficult when it comes to finding parts.

I think this forum is my last chance, I really do want to buy this guitar but if I can't find an answer to my question, I probably shouldn't take the risk. Thank you very much in advance.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Does Parker PDF30 come with hard to find parts?

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @kokoshmusun; welcome!

To address your specific questions concisely, the bottom line is that all Parker guitars are not being made, and some of the parts are harder to find than others. The Fly Clone Project is primarily focused on rebuilding parts and tooling related to the Fly and the NiteFly; the PDF series does share some of the novel aspects of the Fly and NiteFly, but not most. You can review the differences by looking in the catalogs we have listed here.

Unlike the Fly and NiteFly, the PDF line uses many off-the-shelf components and no composite materials, so the likelihood of you easily replacing parts is high. Most PDFs use the same bridge as the Fly, though, the likelihood of you needing to replace a bridge is quite low.

Hope this helps!
kokoshmusun

Post by kokoshmusun »

Thank you, I did try to figure it out from the pdf catalog but I probably lack sufficient guitar knowledge to easily figure some things out. But what you said sounds like I can take this risk. Thank you very much for helping me decide.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Happy to help, @kokoshmusun; there are many people here who love their PDF30s, so hopefully you’ll soon be one of them!! 🙂

Good luck!