Norse Fly - Odin, Thor & Loki

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
ahmadimran

Norse Fly - Odin, Thor & Loki

Post by ahmadimran »

Does anybody know where the three Norse Fly guitars went?

As far as I know, only one of each made, named Odin, Thor and Loki.

Just thought it would be interesting to hear from someone who knows about these three guitars, what models they were based on etc.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Norse Fly - Odin, Thor & Loki

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @ahmadimran,

I am in touch with the current owner of both Thor and Odin. As you likely know, those instruments were hardtail versions of the Fly Artist in both spruce (Odin) and cedar (Loki) and the Fly Mojo (Thor) with a reduced number of controls and no piezo system.
ahmadimran

Post by ahmadimran »

Oh I actually thought they were all based on the Fly Artist.

Didn’t know Thor was based on a Mojo. Also didn’t realize they were hardtails, without piezo.

Noob question, but I wonder why one would forgo the piezo especially in a presumably top of the line custom?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

I’m not entirely sure, but there is certainly a simplicity with the magnetic pickups running direct to the output (without the Fishman piezo in the signal path). It resolves the 9-volt battery dependency, also.

The piezo, to me, when dialed in well adds a sort of sparkly magic! It’s especially useful in dense chord textures or thick timbres.

I’m not saying it’s the case here, but I know some people who looked at the piezo as “trying to sound like an acoustic guitar”, (which it really doesn’t) and then just wrote the whole concept off as a gimmick. I completely disagree! If you know what you’re doing, it’s such a valuable tool!

Having said all that, if you already have a few Flys in your arsenal, I do see the value in having a few “passive” non-piezo models.