What where they thinking?? Poor Modified Fly

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Fly Rod

What where they thinking?? Poor Modified Fly

Post by Fly Rod »

Came across this photo of a "Modified" Parker Fly & Just had to share.. :o
Poor Parker Fly got a middle tele single coil pickup & a hole hacked into it with a hammer & screwdriver
Some Folk shouldn't be allowed to work on or have anything Nice..
Hey my Master Volume is Gone?? What Gives..
Now your $3000 Pre Refined is worth $250 because of it's pickups
Hmmmm Twangy what a great improvement.. HaHaHa!!

If this is one of your guys guitars, You Need Therapy & Your Tools Taken Away.. :mrgreen:
Single Coil Middle Parker Fly.jpg
FLY ROD Formerly FLY Wheel
Fly Rod

Re: What where they thinking?? Poor Modified Fly

Post by Fly Rod »

Had to share a few other photos I found
Parker Bass.jpg
1st Parker 6 String Bass
Rick Nielson's FLY.jpg
Rick Nielson's Parker Fly
Van Halen with Parker Fly.jpg
EVH with Parker
Jimi Hendrix with Parker Fly.jpg
Jimi Hendrix says YEAH!!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

The Fly in the first post ended up looking “better” by the end:

https://www.guitarfritz.com/parker-fly-deluxe-project/

I remember first seeing that Hendrix shop and thinking “That’s pretty accurate - Even if Jimi asked USM to build a left-handed Fly, they’d tell him ‘no.’”
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

OK so 1st Off there are NO Left Handed Parker Flys Made, Didn't Know that, Never seen one before.

Just imagine the software redesign of the CNC in reverse & the template being used upside down on the body carve process.
And then the swing machine of the neck before the fret board being applied & ?? Reverse trem system or make it a hard tail.
Cutting a special LH Nut by hand with nut files & then cutting of the control cavity & pickup holes etc.
YEAH they would have told Jimi NO WAY!! That would have been a $20,000 guitar back then.. Worth $100,000 Today.. Sold for $4000 back Then..
WOW never thought of a LH Parker.. Jimi would have been playing a Steinberger LH with a Trans Trem.. :mrgreen: YEAH!!

That checker Board Fly's Paint job is Fantastic..
I was into Art & Auto Body & can see how that was done with tape & a spray gun & Talent..

NOTE: EVHs Fly has a White Nut, Not Black = Custom Hand Cut Bone Nut.. With Cigarette Holder Option.. :twisted: Or Photo Shopped

That Bass?? No Idea what or why??

And you are correct @mmmguitar that Twang Master Modified Fly came out OK with the pickguard & spray job

I'll give you $40 for that because of the extra pickup just because.. HaHa!!

Need to call the guys at the Street Department as I got no guitars this week, Hey I have a $30 in CASH for some Gibsons or Fenders..
Their Boss is on Vacation in San Diego this week as it's my oldest Son's Girlfriend's Brother.. "Were are my Guitars?" I asked nicely!! :mrgreen:

Need to remember to have a Takamine Headstock Logo Made in Gold for when I repair the headstock on that Takamine New Yorker while I'm having the Steinberger Logo made in white for my Son's XP-2 Steinberger Basses Pickguard, Local Sign Company & the new fangled software & printer with razor blades in it.. = Easy Job for them or order them from eBay.. Headstock is already glued up with Titebond..
Also need acoustic light gauge strings.. .011"-.047" = Less Tension..

I also have a 1994 Les Paul Studio Lite M-III that I need to finish the paint work on hiding a headstock break, I have $400 in that guitar..
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

@Fly Rod, Eddie’s Fly had a white nut because it was made in 1993 (when all Flys had white nuts). I don’t recall if all Flys used the same black TUSQ graphite SKU from 1994 until whenever USM started installing Gibson-style nuts, but I know none of them were bone.

Update: The nut material differences by era are explained by VJ in this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=279
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Fly Rod

Post by Fly Rod »

OK learned something about the nuts used on Flies there..
All I have ever seen where the Black Tusq models..
Remember that Mike G. has these available both cut & uncut for those who didn't know..
Parker Nut Cut x3.jpg
Parker Uncut Nuts x3.jpg
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Fly Rod wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:49 pm OK learned something about the nuts used on Flies there..
FYI - this post has images of all of the nuts used on Flys
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

mmmguitar wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:38 am The Fly in the first post ended up looking “better” by the end:

https://www.guitarfritz.com/parker-fly-deluxe-project/
Thanks for linking this, Marc; I knew the image looked familiar and assumed that it was an “in progress” image.