Fly nuts glued in? Material to fill?

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
DLQ

Fly nuts glued in? Material to fill?

Post by DLQ »

Hi all another one for you, are nuts glued in or is there anything I should know before attempting to remove one?

Also, with this material is there a good fix for a deep nut slot similar to using dental resins with bone?

Thanks!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Fly nuts glued in? Material to fill?

Post by vjmanzo »

Hey @DLQ—they are glued in; not very difficult to pop out and no need for any sort of chemical to loosen things up—my tech suggested that once and I went into a 5 minute rant about chemicals on the fingerboard 😜🙃

Are the slots too deep? A drop of glue can work wonders if so 😮
DLQ

Post by DLQ »

Thanks VJ. I do have a low slot. I was wondering what a good material to fill the slot would be before wicking glue, but I suppose I could try ebony dust. I suppose the ca should bond those two materials, but wasn’t sure.

Good to know also they should tap out. Was thinking I’d ideally replace the nut but maybe go with simpler thing.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Happy to help 👍🏻 I think regular ol’ crazy glue or gorilla glue will do the trick, but I’d verify it with a tech or someone here with more experience. Definitely easier than swapping it out!

I think the important thing is to be careful not to drip whatever you use onto the fingerboard; it wouldn’t be an issue, but it might look a little ugly. CA is runny and can make a mess!
zackerty

Post by zackerty »

I am a newbie here, but i have been making knives and other stuff since 1975.

Ignore the following if you are unsure...

Mask off the areas each side of the nut.
Then make CF powder...a lot of fun...I have offcuts galore, and sand it down with 200 to 400 grit to get powder.
Then pour it into the slot, using a toothpick to fill the slot...followed by a drop of superglue.

It should saturate the powder.
When it has set, blow the powder and whatever spaces are obvious, pour more powder into the space/s, followed by more SG.
A little at a time is best.

It is so easy to describe, but a practice run with a dummy slot will hopefully educate you enough to have confidence.

SG on its own is just a plastic, not durable at all without a filler of some sort.

Then, of course, file down to correct height, slowly slowly slowly.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Great tip, @zackerty! Thanks for sharing that!!