Fly Classic or Supreme?

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
CentralScrutinizer

Fly Classic or Supreme?

Post by CentralScrutinizer »

I have a 1996 Fly Classic, but the serial number has BMA on it, not BMH, as I thought would be the case.
It says Classic on the headstock, so I assumed it was a classic. Someone let me know I was wrong, and that because it’s labeled BMA (Maple) and not BMH ( Mahogany), it was really a Supreme instead. Now others are telling me that’s wrong, it is a classic, and that BMA was sometimes used to represent Mahogany. I would sure appreciate any expert guidance on this.
Thanks,
Jim
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Fly Classic or Supreme?

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @CentralScrutinizer; thanks for the post! The short answer is that it’s likely a Fly Classic, but the best way to know for sure is to look at the wood pattern in the back cavity and compare the wood pattern of mahogany to maple. You can compare the Fly wood types here.

The 2001 Catalog notes a model called the “Fly Maple Custom” next to the images of the guitars, and the “Fly Maple Classic” lower in the footer. In the words of @Ken Parker’s associate: “We had to do something with all of those maple bodies that weren’t highly figured (as in the Fly Supreme). 😝

I have one of these Flys and you still see the maple figuring quite prominently.
9D8B2A60-659B-4C4B-B021-25489DD8F73E.jpeg
If yours looks like that, it’s likely the same, though you probably just have a Fly Classic; one catalog (I believe the 2000 catalog) suggests that the Fly Classic was available with a maple finish, which was likely a veneer of maple on top of mahogany.

The official narrative regarding serial numbers and letter codes on the Parker Guitars site never said that the code for Mahogany was changes from MA to MH, but it also never said that, on the Fly Mojo, it was just an M (MM appears for mahogany neck and mahogany body). For this reason, I believe you have a Classic. A photo would help if you’re open to that.
CentralScrutinizer

Thanks so much for the reply. Here are a couple of pics.
9EFC12BA-5BE4-47E0-84C5-2D733738CD8E.jpeg
E8F3F68F-06CD-4D75-9586-FC65A2E3E9E5.jpeg
Thanks,
Jim
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Yes, I was looking at this one on Reverb! Looks like a fine instrument, and I believe it is a Fly Classic.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Here’s my Fly Classic for comparison:
59E950C4-D1E8-43F5-A844-BAE0CDD48A3E.jpeg
I think the woodgrain pattern on yours more closely resembles this (despite the obvious color difference) more so than the Fly Maple Custom. What do you think?
CentralScrutinizer

Yes, I would have to agree with that. I’m just not sure why the it’s labeled BMA.
It also has a noticeable tonal difference from either of my Classics.
Anyway, I very much appreciate your website, and your advice.
Thanks,
Jim
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Happy help, Jim. Glad you’re a part of this 🙏

It’s funny: they really all do sound different. I have two Deluxes from the same year that sound noticeably different. Go figure (pun intended)!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

I too was wondering about that listing; having assumed it was a Maple Classic but thrown by the mahogany-looking grain. Thanks, gentlemen.

I’ve never found two Flys (or guitars, for that matter) to sound 100% alike. I nonetheless wish to find an Artist to compare to my Deluxes, Classic, and Supreme.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

No 2 alike is also my experience. If it was Maple it would weigh in slightly heavier, and in that way you could be sure.
just plain lost