Parker select fly in local adds. Help

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
baraba

Parker select fly in local adds. Help

Post by baraba »

https://www.njuskalo.hr/elektricne-gita ... s-27602567

Seems like a good price. Owner claims it to be 1997.
The condition also seems good. What else do I need to know?
Anything specifically I should look out for?
I have no parker experience so fire away!!!
Best and thank you
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Parker select fly in local adds. Help

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @baraba,

Looks like a good listing! If you have the option to check it out in person, I would check the fingerboard all around the guitar and look for signs of it lifting anywhere or bad chipping that could eventually lead to it lifting. Then check to see if any of the frets appear to be lifted. If the seller allows it, play every single fret and check the action and for gnarly buzzing; a little buzzing is okay, so you’re mostly just checking for fret issues.

Beyond that, ask the seller outright if it has any issues he/she knows of and specifically the truss. All other issues (electronics, the spring, etc.) can be fixed with a little bit of time.

The Fly Artist (that model) is a desirable one and based on the images it looks like it’s in good shape.

Good luck and keep us posted!!
baraba

Post by baraba »

thank you. what is the situation with spare parts?
refretting?
what should I expect tonally?
best
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Happy to help, @baraba.

It might be good to read the FAQ page to answer some of these questions, particularly about instrument tonal differences.

Fret repair is not easy, but also not likely to be needed depending on the care of the previous owner. There is a parts list linked in the FAQs, which should give you a sense of that current state; most parts you’d need to replace are linked/available. We’re working to develop some others like springs and flex PCB replacements.

Hope this helps!
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

I'm looking at this guitar and the oddity is that the trem bushing and trem are much more recent than 1997. Any comments VJ?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

I noticed that too, @Patzag; the saddles look like the '97 saddles , so I'm inclined to think it's the original bridge and the owner just preferred the rounded vibrato arm bushing as opposed to the hex. You think it's a newer bridge as well? Always makes me wonder why someone would do that; what was the motivation? I've heard of a few people who prefer the rounded vibrato arm and have swapped out the hex one for a plastic one (which would be my guess), but it does make me wonder.

Serial checks out as a 1997, and it obviously looks like a '97.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Yes, I concur.
If Baraba does not go for it, I might. I've been wanting a Supreme for a long time, and this could be the ticket.
We'll see. . .
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

...plus: when is it not a good time to visit Croatia, @Patzag! Pandemic shmandemic--book that flight and score that guitar! :lol:

Moderator's Note: Fly Clone does not condone risking your health and safety during a pandemic to buy more Flys!
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Lol! @vjmanzo
And the good lord invented FedEx to keep his sheep and shepherds safe from the plague.

All joking aside, definitely not flying to Croatia to buy a guitar. But it does look nice and I've had one of these as my desktop pictures for a decade. I'm tired of looking at it an not be able to play it!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

🤣😂😅
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

@vjmanzo, pre-refined Flys continued to be passed around once the hex bars stopped being offered in an official capacity. Those in the position of buying or selling one missing the bar were often directed to round bar “conversion kit” listings, rather than guides explaining how to make your own replacement. Hence, my ‘96 Deluxe has the round bar mod, and my ‘97 Deluxe has a homemade hex bar.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

mmmguitar wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:51 pm Those in the position of buying or selling one missing the bar were often directed to round bar “conversion kit” listings, rather than guides explaining how to make your own replacement.
Aaaahhhh—that is very interesting, @mmmguitar! Thanks for that info!
baraba

Post by baraba »

you can see here in the pics that the bushing varies
https://www.google.com/search?q=parker+ ... ZSKiyMc6LM

the add says artist in the title and then select in the description
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

baraba wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:51 am the add says artist in the title and then select in the description
The bushing for that year should be made of stainless steel; the bushing in this guitar was introduced around 2003. Not a big deal, IMO, and mmmguitar's speculation regarding what likely happened makes sense to me.

Yes, in the early catalogs, the Fly Artist was considered part of the "select" series.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Jeez VJ! Ever sleep?

@baraba - Have you decided what to do about that instrument? I'm asking because I am interested, of course ...
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Patzag wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:20 am Jeez VJ! Ever sleep?
🤣
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

I have a friend who lives in Croatia and says that the taxes getting stuff in is exorbitant. I don't know about getting stuff out. But in 2021, that's a buy-on-sight guitar if you have the scratch. These black bushings under the switches don't look original to me, but they might be. So check it all out if you can! But don't hesitate!
just plain lost
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

It's gone.
I got in touch with @baraba and he graciously let me have a go at it. But the ad is withdrawn so it is probably sold.
I did DM him so we'll see what comes of it, if anything.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Darn! Sorry to hear that!!

I was just about book my flight to Croatia for you, Pat! :lol: "Više sreće sljedeći put!"