Aluminum Bridge

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Aluminum Bridge

Post by Patzag »

I sweat, not that much, but evidently enough that, as I rest the heel of my hand on the bridge, the finish gets removed.
Any ideas on how to repaint this so it looks original?
Attachments
IMG_0321.JPG
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Aluminum Bridge

Post by vjmanzo »

Hey @Patzag; I’m pretty sure it was anodized at the factory. 😑

Are you open to taking it out altogether? It would be a pain with the piezos 🤮
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Yes. I didn’t think that I was going to be repainting this with the piezo saddles on. ;)
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Patzag wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:53 pm Yes. I didn’t think that I was going to be repainting this with the piezo saddles on. ;)
🤣

The bridge on my Deluxe that looks like that too—maybe we both have acidic sweat? I found a local autobody shop that does anodizing and powder-coating, so I bet thy could do the same for you. Or you could ping @marvin who did this:
01C62081-3C68-494C-B81D-D9AE0A0ECFD7.jpeg
More info in this post
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

I'd have to send it to another country to do this. I might! Any other ideas?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hmmm...when we did the 12-string Fly, I was looking to anodize or powder coat that bridge (also aluminum), and saw a few kit-based approaches to powder-coating that can be done at home. I never got to it, and I’m sure anodizing would get better results, but if shipping the bridge out isn’t an option, maybe ship the materials to do the process in?
Big Swifty
Forum Veteran

Post by Big Swifty »

Hi Patzag! and hey VJ!

We've gone into a snap 5 day lockdown here in Melb ATM, so that almost pristine 2001 Fly i was fixing is till here, here's a cpl of comparison shots between it and my '94, which is well worn. Love resting my palm on the bridge and using it as a subtle vibrato.
I think the actual aluminium has started to corrode away a little, and you can see that there's more than one layer or coat gone into finishing the bridge (see the bridge post detail/side pic) I reckon there's a layer of anodisation first to act as a base, and then powder coat over that. Or something like that, definitely more than just anodising going on, the newer one feels like an almost plastic-paint coating, reckon it's power coated.
The only thing I've found that comes in a can that gets close to the toughness of powder coat is that Hammer Finish paint... mightn't be the look you're going for...but might be kinda cool.. kinda... :-)
That one marvin did looks good!
Let us know how you go. Man..there used to be new bridges floating around eBay for next to nothin a few years back...
Ciao
B.S.
IMG_6047.JPG
IMG_6046.JPG
IMG_6048.JPG
IMG_6049.JPG
The system can't get you in your dreams.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Great info, @Big Swifty! Wow—I love the look of that ‘94 bridge!!! Thanks for posting these pics.

Stay safe, man!
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

G'Day Swifty! Nice to hear from you.
Thanks for the great info.

Yeah, I'm torn between the battle-scarred look and a pristine refinish. But it looks so cool when it's "new".

I'll keep you guys updated ...

Patrick
TheResseler

Post by TheResseler »

Hey Patrick,
Sorry for the late notice but the guy who bought out the factory actually listed some bridge parts on eBay a few days ago if you're looking to replace it.
Here's an aluminum bridge piece up for auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Oldstock-P ... 4667663391
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

-Logan
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Good eye, @TheResseler!

Just an FYI: that particular bridge you linked is a NiteFly bridge, so it would have to be modded to be used in a Fly. Unfortunately, I don’t think Mike G. has any more Fly bridges available.
TheResseler

Post by TheResseler »

Whoops, my bad. Thanks for catching that, VJ. They look so similar from the top. Looks like he has 3 nightfly tremolos listed. Hope nobody gets confused and buys one for a Fly.
-Logan
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

All good, Logan; I made that mistake myself a few years ago when I bought one! 😝 I bought one just to check one out; it’s quite unlikely that anyone would ever need to replace their bridge because it stopped functioning properly, but yeah: if you’re looking for that factory-fresh look like Patrick is, then it would be great if Mike G. had the exact part! Just one more excuse for me to keep
Looking of Flys on eBay! 🤣

FWIW—I believe the bearing was changed on the later vibratos, so if you do ever swap your original Fly bridge, you might want to hang onto the original bearings; same bearings as the Kahler, if I recall. 😮
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Thanks guys!
ThePedroDB

Post by ThePedroDB »

A big piece of the Black finish on the Trem body of my PDF80 literally 'lifted off' one day. It certainly wasn't annodised. Possibly Plastic coated. I removed the Trem & saddles. Primed and sprayed with Black Hammerite Smooth Satin, then baked in the oven for 45 mins at approx. 150 degrees. The resulting finish is hard, durable and looks every bit like the factory finish.

I wouldn't want to try baking a Fly Trem with the Piezo 'circuit board' attached though - and I have one that I'd like to refinish. Has anybody ever removed that board and replaced it? If so, some details would be appreciated..

Attachments
1. Repainted & Baked Trem.jpg
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

ThePedroDB wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:37 am A big piece of the Black finish on the Trem body of my PDF80 literally 'lifted off' one day. It certainly wasn't annodised. Possibly Plastic coated. I removed the Trem & saddles. Primed and sprayed with Black Hammerite Smooth Satin, then baked in the oven for 45 mins at approx. 150 degrees. The resulting finish is hard, durable and looks every bit like the factory finish.

I wouldn't want to try baking a Fly Trem with the Piezo 'circuit board' attached though - and I have one that I'd like to refinish. Has anybody ever removed that board and replaced it? If so, some details would be appreciated..

Looks amazing. Did you buy the paint in a spray can?
As far as I know, the PDFs bridges have a different finish. But what you did here looks bada$$.

No data on the piezo. (yet!)
ThePedroDB

Post by ThePedroDB »

Thanks @Patzag. Yes, standard aerosol can used. Two or 3 decent coats. A week natural drying, then baked.

There's no doubt that the Trem finish changed during production of the Fly. My late 90's pre-refined models have quite a textured finish and later USM & JAM era models I've seen appear to have a smoother finish. It may be no coincidence that I've seen more of the later models with Trem finish wear.

Re: the Piezos. Unsoldering the Saddles and the main connecting wire are not the issue for me. Just the remaining 'board. It appears to be held in place by a couple of rivets (or similar) but I'd rather not start drilling to find out I was wrong. I was wondering if anyone on here was an original factory worker and could give some background on the construction. Finger's crossed..

PS: New Fly Mojo incoming today! I feel like a kid at Xmas!! :D