Help! Wiring question!

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
mtyrrell1982

Help! Wiring question!

Post by mtyrrell1982 »

Hi guys!

I have a 1999 fly deluxe which at some point has had its input jack replaced.
When I try to play in stereo mode the piezo signal goes through both left and right outputs. There is also a noticeable volume increase in the magnetic only selection when going from stereo to mono.

Please see attached pics! My wiring diagram skills are, in fact, terrible, so I don't know if the problem is obvious or not and who I'd see to get it fixed!

Thanks in advance!
20210211_154911.jpg
20210211_154911.jpg
Attachments
20210211_154929.jpg
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Help! Wiring question!

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @mtyrrell1982; welcome. Sorry to hear about the issue, but these things do happen with the old flex PCB cables. They are also quite delicate, so you or a technician will want to exercise care when working on this.

It seems like you’re certain that it’s the output jack, which would be my guess as well, but it would be good to have a technician test the toggle switches before moving forward. They can consult the parts list and the wiring guides as part of this effort.

To get the stereo switching to work, the red button on the side of your guitar needs to be pushed in. Have you tried this? Can you see if the red button is properly connected?
mtyrrell1982

Post by mtyrrell1982 »

As I understand it, the red button "in" is mono, and "out" is stereo, but it's definitely not working as it should. The fact the jack was replaced led me down the jack route as it's not factory.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Got it—yes, the problem originating with the jack would be my thought as well.

We are working to remake the flex PCB with modern components, but, in the meantime, it can be difficult getting non-OEM components to play nice with the flex PCB as-is. The red switch and the jack work together as part of the original Fishman preamp design; that original jack, depending on the year, had a unique way of passing a ground signal when a TRS jack was inserted. Do you know if the new jack you have is a TRS Jack?
mtyrrell1982

Post by mtyrrell1982 »

I don't know if it's a trs jack, it looks like it is?

What do you mean by "we're working to remake the pcb"? Are you making no longer available spares?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Yes, we have retraced the original flex PCB (both parts) and, even this week, are fabricating some test parts that will be direct replacements for the originals, but with modern, off-the-shelf, quality components. This will ultimately allow you to retain the functionality of the Fishman preamp that you have, but not have to deal with an aging and delicate flex PCB component.

We are still a ways off from getting to the point where I can say “and here’s where you can buy one”, but we’re getting there, and that’s what I meant in my previous post.
mtyrrell1982

Post by mtyrrell1982 »

Wow. Amazing.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

mtyrrell1982 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:48 pm Wow. Amazing.
Thanks, @mtyrrell1982 : we Fly-fans gotta stick together!

In the meantime, take a look at this:
Fly_flex.jpg
Your Fly probably once looked like the image at the left with the parasite plug. With the correct jack and a little savy wiring, it may be able to be wired like the one on the right.
mtyrrell1982

Post by mtyrrell1982 »

I think you can get a fishman 9 lug jack, but I wouldn't have a clue how to retrofit it!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Did you see this? A bit of a project, but i have heard from others that this approach would get you there:
7C0187CF-B880-4473-973C-74769CA21318.jpeg
mtyrrell1982

Post by mtyrrell1982 »

That looks helpful, I'll give it a look! Thanks so much for your help! I can't believe I've had a fly for over 20 years and not found this forum before!

Looking forward to the replacement parts becoming available eventually.
Keep up the great work!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Happy to help, @mtyrrell1982! Keep us posted!

We’re a relatively new forum/project and, since Parker Guitars/USM have let go of the official forum, we’ve banded together. Thanks for being a part of it!
mtyrrell1982

Post by mtyrrell1982 »

Right, now I'm confused...

I've electrically tested, in the stereo selected configuration and a trs cable inserted, from the points on the ribbon, to the tip and ring of each output. They are both electrically disconnected from each other, ie.. they work as expected, and the earth is good. I don't know where to go from here. Its not the jack input, or the wiring. The switch could be the issue, but where do I get one of those from and how can I diagnose that?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Interesting development—the switches are listed in the Anatomy of the Fly post.
mtyrrell1982

Post by mtyrrell1982 »

It's so odd, plugged in to my helix, 2 separate chains, 2 separate outputs, the piezo tone "leaks" in to the mag tone. So if selected on the fly to stereo, piezo only, sound comes through the amp. It shouldn't. I need a pro.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

mtyrrell1982 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:37 am ...the piezo tone "leaks" in to the mag tone.
FWIW—I had this issue once before and changing the switch fixed the issue.
mtyrrell1982

Post by mtyrrell1982 »

I can only see the housing on the parts list?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

This is the switch:

Three-way piezo/magnetic pickup switch (on-off-on)[original by C&K] — sourced
mtyrrell1982

Post by mtyrrell1982 »

I see, apologies, I thought you meant the red stereo/mono switch
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

All good, @mtyrrell1982; happy to help! I’d try swapping that switch, and any qualified tech can assist, they just need to be very careful not to twist the flex PCB.