Deluxe wiring diagram/ribbon slight discrepancy

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Big Swifty
Forum Veteran

Deluxe wiring diagram/ribbon slight discrepancy

Post by Big Swifty »

Hi all,

So I'm in the midst of doing a little torn ribbon repair for a fellow local Deluxe owner, a nice 2001 dusty black Deluxe in v good condition, barely used and far far better nick than my own! Plays like a new one too...*sigh... Anyway, it's fairly minor (knock on wood), loose tone pot leading to ribbon tear etc.
So i'm bypassing that bit of the ribbon and soldering thin wires directly form tone pot to pup selector switch and pad 9 on the pre board, as per the wiring and ribbon diagrams available.
However... i have noticed a minor discrepancy between the diagrams and the actual ribbon itself.
The diagrams/schematics show the lugs 2 and 3 on the tone pot connected together, middle and outside right if looking form the top, however the ribbon itself does not have this connection, it's only connected at the middle lug, or lug 2 (as i'm calling it), with lug 3 left floating
See the attached images of the ribbon itself, there is most definitely no connection from outside to middle lug.
Does this make a difference?
Well, i've tried connecting (as per the wiring/ribbon diagrams) and disconnecting, can't hear any difference in travel/response or amount, ie it all sounds the same tone-wise no matter how you far you turn the knob etc.
Would it make any diff electrically?
That i'm unsure about... there are many wiring schemes where the third lug of the tone pot is left floating.
Anyway, there it is, the schematics/ribbon diagram don't exactly match the reality at the tone pot.
Maybe it matters?
Maybe not.
Just so we all know!
:-)
Ciao
B.S.
IMG_5943.JPG
The system can't get you in your dreams.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Deluxe wiring diagram/ribbon slight discrepancy

Post by vjmanzo »

Interesting information, @Big Swifty; I’ve forwarded this to our team that’s working on remaking the Flex PCBs. Thanks for posting this!! I’ll double back with some info soon.