G string tuning

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Plan-x

G string tuning

Post by Plan-x »

My S2 has a problem. When I bend my G string, it goes a bit flat after I'm done bending it. If I play a chord after that, it sounds bad :o. I had this problem with my 02 Nitefly. I fixed it by having a new nut cut. I play the hell out of these guitars and after a few years this G string thing starts happening. A quick dive on the whammy will bring it back in tune. Knowing I'd have to face this problem again with my Fly I picked up a Parker nut blank. What material were those? Graph tech brand? BTW, Big bends nut sauce doesn't help.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

G string tuning issue

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @Plan-x; on many of my Flys, the slot for the G string was a little tight for the string gauge I’m using, so I think that’s the issue you’re running into. Widen the slot slightly and you should be good to go.

Fun fact: Ken adapted a hydraulic press in his shop to cut six perfect nut slots in each Fly/NiteFly, so the nuts were all cut quite consistently with the press of a button!

#IntonationIssues
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: G string tuning

Post by vjmanzo »

Here's a little infographic on Fly nuts through the years, @Plan-x