Where to Route Pre Refined Classic for Leads from Ghost Saddles

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Presence76

Where to Route Pre Refined Classic for Leads from Ghost Saddles

Post by Presence76 »

Hello again
So I’m replacing the Pre Refined Classic saddles with Graph Tech Ghost saddles.
I am struggling finding a spot I could drill a 5/16” hole as suggested for the leads.
Do you think it would be ok to leave them draped over the top with the control plate put over them?
Is there a place I could drill that big a hole without compromising anything and without any parts touching the leads?
Thank you in advance!
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Re: Where to Route Pre Refined Classic for Leads from Ghost Saddles

Post by Patzag »

Hi. Sorry to intrude, but you'll find that the pre-refined saddles are superior to the Ghost saddles. and that the fishman preamp is better sounding than the ghost preamp. Just sayin'
Now I don't have any data as to why you're changing. Maybe your ribbon is shot or your saddles are dead. But if you're not at a dead end with the pre-refined system, then I'd get it working rather than replacing it.
My un-asked for 2 cents!
Cheers,
Patrick
Presence76

Post by Presence76 »

I appreciate your thoughts.
It’s funny, cause I’ve seen your opinion and I’ve seen the opposite.
On this site I believe there’s an internal memo from Parker (perhaps after Ken left) stating the Graph Tech saddles are superior.
Regardless, this was a pawn shop guitar in semi-rough shape and I noticed some damage to the ribbon cables so I gutted it.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Presence76 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:43 pm there’s an internal memo from Parker (perhaps after Ken left) stating the Graph Tech saddles are superior.
Yeah, I remember when I first read that memo; it’s an odd claim in principle. The original saddles were stainless steel and the Graphtech ones are not and, as such, they sound “different”. It’s a subtle difference, in my opinion, but, hey: isn’t discussing those subtleties why we’re all here? 🙃

I’d also like to point out that @Patzag’s “2 cents” have really held their value over time despite the current fiscal climate, so...ya know, adjusted for inflation, they’re probably closer to like 6 or 7 cents!! 😝
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Presence76 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:18 pm Hello again
So I’m replacing the Pre Refined Classic saddles with Graph Tech Ghost saddles.
I am struggling finding a spot I could drill a 5/16” hole as suggested for the leads.
Do you think it would be ok to leave them draped over the top with the control plate put over them?
Is there a place I could drill that big a hole without compromising anything and without any parts touching the leads?
Thank you in advance!
For the Flys I’ve rewired from prerefined or USM-era to PTP Graphtech/Hexpander, I enlarged the factory piezo lead channel (circled in red on someone else’s photo I pulled from google) and pulled each Ghost lead (two wires and a plug) through one at a time.
7C4CC618-B3A2-4E4D-B1E3-723681B050EA.jpeg
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Great to know!! Thanks for chiming in with that very useful info.