parker trussrod fix?

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
iroc07

parker trussrod fix?

Post by iroc07 »

Does anyone on here know of anyone that can fix a parker truss rod?
I bought one last year (a refined blue Deluxe) and never thought to look in the truss rod hole...... until a few months later when I started getting a bit of a buzz on the first fret high E and could not figure out why none of my allen wrenches would fit...... got a light and looked down only to see what gave me a lump in my throat and a pit in my stomach..... the head of the truss rod looks broken off :oops: :(

Only advice i have gotten so far was to contact Ken Parker about it. Which, every time I have talked to him, he has been an absolute gentleman and very forthcoming with help and advice, but I do not even know if guitar luthier in something he is doing right now.

Im loving this forum btw!!!! Just discovered the CAD models posted...... I think my cousins CNC mill is about to get a workout!!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: parker trussrod fix?

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @iroc07; glad you’re digging this forum, and we’re glad to have you here!

Ken is still active, but I think this is something a qualified tech can address. I had the truss rod on one of my refined Flys fixed by Patrick Cummings of www.iguitarworkshop.com; I do recommend his work.

It’s not a death sentence and you’d be shocked what can be done to get your guitar playable again, but, in my experience, the best approach is to take it to a qualified tech and shell out a few hundred to get it fixed properly.
iroc07

Post by iroc07 »

oh so im not the only one that has had this issue?!?!?!?! wow, sorry to hear that you had to deal with it but happy to hear that it isnt a death sentence.

I will shoot them an email and see whats what.

THANKS!!!!!! You made my Tuesday!!!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Happy to help, and no, sadly you’re not alone! :lol:

I should note that I’ve only encountered this issue on one Fly and it was a USM one that I bought used. The truss system was redesigned with the refined models and deviated from the original Fly, and, if I had to bet, I’d bet that that’s where the problem begins.

Keep us posted!
iroc07

Post by iroc07 »

I contacted the place you suggested and they got back got back to me pretty quickly. Looks like the guitar will be going to them in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed everything works out.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Keep us posted!
dean thom

Post by dean thom »

iroc07 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:45 am got a light and looked down only to see what gave me a lump in my throat and a pit in my stomach..... the head of the truss rod looks broken off :oops: :(

hi iroc07.

yesterday i have had exactly the same experience. i bought a fly deluxe 7 months ago, recently the high E started to buzz, i went to adjust the truss rod and found the end had sheared off.

may i ask where you are now with your problem guitar?
dean thom

Post by dean thom »

vjmanzo wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:00 pm

It’s not a death sentence and you’d be shocked what can be done to get your guitar playable again, but, in my experience, the best approach is to take it to a qualified tech and shell out a few hundred to get it fixed properly.

hi vjmanzo,

may i ask what the issue was with your truss rod and how the repair was executed to your satisfaction?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Nut has sheared from trussrod

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @dean thom!

I’ve had success following these exact steps that @Ken Parker has posted here.

In two cases, the truss seemed maxed out, and my tech (two different techs in each instance) followed the steps to effectively bow it back. Problem solved and super-low action restored!

If you’re near the northeast U.S., I recommenced Eddie Hulse of Hulse Guitars or Patrick Cummings of iGuitar Workshop.

#TrussIssues
dean thom

Post by dean thom »

vjmanzo wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:41 pm Hi @dean thom!

I’ve had success following these exact steps that @Ken Parker has posted here.

In two cases, the truss seemed maxed out, and my tech (two different techs in each instance) followed the steps to effectively bow it back. Problem solved and super-low action restored!

If you’re near the northeast U.S., I recommenced Eddie Hulse of Hulse Guitars or Patrick Cummings of iGuitar Workshop.
the hex key nut has completed sheared off my truss rod so there's no way whatsoever of turning it.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Understood, @dean thom; I certainly don’t mean to trivialize it: replacing a sheered truss rod nut is not a simple fix, but it’s also not a death sentence for your Fly.

If the nut is broken off, there are a number of technicians who can help; I’d contact Patrick. A sheered nut, to me, indicates that there was some other prior issue with the truss, which Ken’s post might address.

If this were me, and my Fly, I’d be prepared to sink a few hundred dollars into coming up with a solution, even if that solution was a “non-adjustable but good for the gauge of strings I’m using” solution. If you’re not so certain that you’ll keep this Fly, then I’d put it back on Reverb or eBay and disclose the condition and price it a few hundred bucks cheaper...someone is looking for a project, but it doesn’t have to be you :) There are plenty of Flys out there with working truss rods, and if this one didn’t pan out, just keep an eye on what’s available and make a move when one comes up that catches your eye.
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

Exactly! If its the right color, and not too beat up, you can try to have the piano wire solution or something done to it, if you think you'd be happier with a different color, throw it back into the pool before it destroys you!
just plain lost
dean thom

Post by dean thom »

I've put it in it's case, under the bed in the spare room and i'm trying to forget it exists for now ;)