Pre Refined Parker Piezo Audible But Quiet

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Presence76

Pre Refined Parker Piezo Audible But Quiet

Post by Presence76 »

So I took a gamble on an eBay pawn shop pre-refined Fly Classic (‘01) in rough shape.
This neck feels great to me, just like my old Classic (I measured it around 18mm) - but of course, apart from the discoloration and chip - it doesn’t work properly.
I’ve already gotten an approved free return but just in case (before the label is generated) I’m checking here.
I put a new battery in and checked all electronics. I use a stereo cable into a splitter box into an a/b box (works great with my Nitefly). The magnetics work fine, the tone and master volume work on the electric side, but the piezo puts out a very small amount. I checked the gain and it was already cranked. When I turn the acoustic tone, nothing happens. When I turn the volume, it makes a whooshing sound and is silent, then wooshes and is audible but quiet full on. I can hear each string.
Does anyone have ideas? Is the concentric pot shot? Something with the cable or board?
Thank you in advance!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Diagnosing a Fly TRS output issue

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @Presence76; nice grab!

What exactly is the signal path? Is the stereo cable a single cable with one end? What is the splitter box and what is it expecting at the input; a mono signal?

Can you try this with a TRS Y-cord and put each end into the same amp or input? There is a red button on the side of the guitar that you can press to enable the signal to split.

#PiezoIssues
Presence76

Re: Pre Refined Parker Piezo Audible But Quiet

Post by Presence76 »

Hey
I don’t have the Parker stereo y cable. I have a standard stereo cable that goes into a splitter that accepts the TRS input and sends the ring and tip out. The ring (piezo) goes to a Body Rez then a DI and the tip (magnetic) goes to my a/b box.
I know it’s none of that chain because I just fired up my Nitefly and it works as expected.
I also tried the red switch in both positions and it didn’t work in one and worked as described in the other.
9B277D7C-DF33-484B-B72F-1B8E4DB9CCC3.jpeg
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Hey. I just replied uninvited to your other thread.
Are you handy with a soldering iron?
If so, I would start by checking the summit plate on the piezo. Heat up the solder and reflow as needed to make sure you have good contact on the wire.
Next, inspect your ribbon cable for a kink or tear.
Next, you can bypass the pot using a bit of wire. Check if the signal flows when you bypass the terminals, that'll tell you if the pot is dead. In fact, do that first. Saves you the soldering and ribbon inspection in case the pot is dead.

Patrick
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Bump. I have a tenuously related question:

In a pre-refined Fly that is functioning as intended, should there any amount of relative signal drop when using a TRS for stereo routing, versus switching between mag/piezo signals through a mono cable?

I’ve donated some pre-refined guts, and this potential level discrepancy is something I have no experience with; due to never using the piezo/stereo setup except for when testing a new Fly. It seems using the mag/mix/piezo selector switch in mono mode puts out signals of seemingly even levels, whereas pushing the stereo switch with a TRS routing the mag and piezo signals to different amps is seemingly resulting in the piezo channel suffering a decibel cut.

I don’t have the guitar on-hand to determine if the issue is the TRS cable, battery outputting insufficient voltage, or to perform other troubleshooting.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hey @mmmguitar, I can confirm that there should not be a noticeable dB cut; I’ll do a test later and get some actual numbers.

I do know for sure that not all insert cables are created equal; Ken mentioned that they used to get customer service requests that ultimately came down to people using stereo cables of lesser quality. I should look to see which company made the original; I think it was Rapco, but I’m not 100%.
dayn
Forum Veteran

Post by dayn »

I have the guitar in hand relating to mmmguitar's question.

When red button is in mono mode, the magnetic and piezo sides have equal output, both individually on the blend switch and when on together.

When I engage the red button to stereo mode, the magnetic side on its 1/4" has the same output as previously, but the piezo side volume drops significantly.

I am using a stock Parker Fly stereo cable - could be an issue with the cable, I just couldn't remember if there was something related to engaging the red button that would cause the volume to drop like that pin just the piezo side.

Too bad I on ly have one cable to test it. I might have to open it up to bypass the cable and test right off the jack.

Time to experiment....
dayn
Forum Veteran

Post by dayn »

I opened up the Fly, and the electronics aren't stock. The ribbon was bypassed with several wires, so I think that is gonna end up being the volume drop culprit. Something isn't wired correctly or there is a bad solder connection in the guitar.