Fretwire height

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Wheresthedug

Fretwire height

Post by Wheresthedug »

Can anyone confirm the original (out of the factory) fret height on the pre-refined Flys?

I have a few slightly high spots on mine and I want to level the frets.

However, after reading Ken’s article about the stainless steel they used, and watching the fretwork video from the factory, it appears unlikely that those frets would ever wear enough to need levelling. Instead, it is more likely that one or more frets would rise due to glue issues etc.

Therefore, I should be able to fix my high spots with a clamp and some super glue. However, that would only be true if the frets are still in their original condition. If someone has already tried to level them in the past they may not have done it perfectly and it may be better to relevel them than try the Parker method

The only way I can think of to check whether the frets have been levelled previously is to compare the current height to the original factory spec.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Fretwire heigh

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @Wheresthedug, I’m almost 100% certain that the fretwire in early Flys is like 6105 “small” fretwire, but without the bottom tang. I can check our documents to confirm.

Later on at USM, the Flys all had “jumbo” fretwire like the Fly hardtail and NiteFly.

FYI you can remove fret material if need be to compensate for a high spot and it would be just like leveling other frets except there is more effort required to remove material.
Wheresthedug

Post by Wheresthedug »

Thanks VJ

Yes it would be helpful if you could check for me. Cheers.

I know I can level the frets as normal (albeit with a bit more work than usual) however once you start down this road it may be the start of a slippery slope which could be avoided if they are still in the original state. I’m familiar and confident with fret work so I will go down that route if necessary though.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

FWIW, I’ve leveled Wilmington and Buffalo Grove Flys. Other than the additional up-front step of using a flashlight and very thin gauge to confirm that no high frets are a result of lifting, the process is no different from the care and attention that should be shown when leveling any other fretboard (with a negligible conical radius to the fret tops ;) )

One common suggestion I advise for all frets (but especially Flys) is taking the extra time to level with no rougher than 400 grit. Otherwise, the heat generated in the course of polishing scuffs out of Fly frets afterward makes me very paranoid that the low-viscosity CA glue will somehow heat up enough to cause frets to shift. I hope it’s all in my head when I admit that doing 1-2 passes per fret with a StewMac dremel polishing wheel makes me wish I had a nurse to mop my brow.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

mmmguitar wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:29 am I admit that doing 1-2 passes per fret with a StewMac dremel polishing wheel makes me wish I had a nurse to mop my brow.
:lol:

Okay--I measured 1.14mm (.045") tall and 2.40 wide using kinda-okay Stew Mac digital calipers on a spare original fret.

So, we can confirm with @Ken Parker, but the pre-refined Fly frets are most likely similar in size to 6105 fret wire, which is standardized to .047" height and 095" width.
Wheresthedug

Re: Fretwire height

Post by Wheresthedug »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. It would be nice to hear @Ken Parker has to say on the subject too.

By the way is everyone aware that Ken is taking part in a zoom forum about innovative guitar design at Harvard tomorrow along with Ulrich Teufell and others. Should be interesting.