My First Parker

General musical discussions that don't fall under other categories.
Stella

My First Parker

Post by Stella »

Hello,

I’m new here and to Parker guitars, so please forgive my ignorance.

I recently acquired this Fly from the original owner. He claimed to have purchased it directly from Ken Parker in Rochester NY in 2004. It was supposedly a custom order that the purchaser did not pay for.

As I know almost nothing about these guitars, can anyone help me with more information please?

I’ll gladly add more pictures if I am instructed as to what I should capture.

Thank you…
32DCD990-01C7-47E8-A9B7-9DBE9B72922F.jpeg
5331E390-0DBF-4018-9A18-041E4B9085F3.jpeg
34634A88-08B1-4914-A3BB-F1BB6526E4CC.jpeg
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: My First Parker

Post by mmmguitar »

Serial dates it as the second guitar completed on February 11th, 1994. The white nut is a holdover from ‘93.

“BP” in serial designates it as a Basswood neck, Poplar body “Deluxe” Fly.

I revised my post after brightening the photo until I could see the ‘93-‘03 battery compartment and mono/stereo switch. At first, I misinterpreted your post as stating the Fly was built in ‘04 as some oddly spec’d order; and subsequently typed a paragraph of conjecture. It makes sense that Ken would have offloaded an old one after parting ways from the brand.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
jester700

Post by jester700 »

Also, congrats! That's a sweet looking guitar!
ahmadimran

Post by ahmadimran »

Parker Fly Deluxe Hardtail, in Galaxy Grey.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Congrats, @Stella, and welcome! That’s a great guitar there!

+1 for what @mmmguitar noted 👍🏻
Big Swifty
Forum Veteran

Post by Big Swifty »

Oh so THAT'S where my '94 Galaxy Grey hardtail got to.....

;)

:D

Congrats on a fantastic guitar, may your solos be forever raucous and extended!

B.S.
The system can't get you in your dreams.
Stella

Post by Stella »

Thanks to each of your for the responses…very helpful.

Would this be considered an original, early refined, or refined guitar? I don’t really know enough to know what to look for.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Yes, @Stella, that is an early “pre-refined” Fly. You may find this history post helpful in understanding more about where in the timeline this Fly fits.
Stella

Post by Stella »

So, I’ve had the guitar long enough by now to say that it’s simply the easiest guitar to play that I’ve ever touched. It almost feels like I’m cheating.

I’ve owned at least 100 guitars from all different eras and manufacturers, but this one is right at the top. I have no idea why anyone would have anything negative to say about how these guitars play.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Couldn’t agree with you more, @Stella!
Stella

Post by Stella »

I know this is a somewhat silly question, but I’d like to try a trem version of the Fly. Since I already have a Deluxe, what do you guys recommend as a second model? I am a mahogany fan, so the Mojo is what I’m naturally drawn toward, but a spruce model seems I intriguing.

Thank you…
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Stella wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:31 am I am a mahogany fan, so the Mojo is what I’m naturally drawn toward, but a spruce model seems I intriguing.
A pre-refined Classic or Artist will feel and play the most like your hardtail. Mojos and other models from the post-Ken era are liable to be very different (eg. fatter necks, different frets, different fretboard radius/width, different pickups, looser QC and weight tolerances, etc.).
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

+1 what @mmmguitar said.

You may find it helpful to read this post on wood types for the various Fly models. The Artist, to my ears, sounds the least like all the others in an acoustic and diffuse sort of way; they all have their own “special something” ☺️

Regardless of the wood combination, the Fly vibrato is, IMO, absolutely fantastic! It wouldn’t be strange if you got another Fly Deluxe with a vibrato 😉 Just sayin’ 🙂
Stella

Post by Stella »

Thanks @mmmguitar and @vjmanzo.

I think I’ll hold off on a mojo - didn’t realize that they didn’t exist until the later era.

There is a white 1996 Deluxe on Reverb with the vibrato (sorry for calling it a trem before) that is calling to me, but I think it’s a bit more than I’m willing to spend atm. I very much want to try out the system, as I’ve heard that they’re some of the best ever made.

Is there a link on here that shows all the standard color options abatible on the early models? I kind of have a thing for blue guitars.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Stella wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:52 am I very much want to try out the system, as I’ve heard that they’re some of the best ever made.
Totally—if you can, keep an eye out for one available at a shop with a return policy; even if you decide not to keep it and end up paying some $$ for shipping by the time all is said and done, at least you’ll know what they’re like!
Stella wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:52 am Is there a link on here that shows all the standard color options abatible on the early models? I kind of have a thing for blue guitars.
Yes, the 2000 catalog has a color swatch at the bottom and the 2001 catalog shows a few others that were added shortly thereafter.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Stella wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:52 amI very much want to try out the system, as I’ve heard that they’re some of the best ever made.
The trem certainly fits in with the rest of the Fly’s “What if George Jetson had to reinvent the Stratocaster?” aesthetic. It’s lightweight, responsive, returns to zero without issue (assuming the nut is cut correctly), and pivots on bearings at a point under the saddles, for an overall smooth feel and wide range of pitch in both directions. It’s not aiming to outdo the performance of a Floyd Rose or Steinberger S Trem (which some Fly owners have gone through the significant trouble of retrofitting, with varying degrees of success), but it’s counted amongst the best non-locking/“two point” trems you’ll see. I just wish the flat spring situation wasn’t what it currently is.

And concerning finding a blue one: Transparent blue and metallic teal-blue Classics pop up on Reverb now and then. I haven’t seen a blue Artist in the wild.
Stella

Post by Stella »

Thanks again guys. You’re being very helpful. As I’m a fan of 2 point, non-locking units (current favorite is the Gotoh 510), I’m excited to try out what Mr. Parker came up with. It sounds very intriguing.
Stella

Post by Stella »

I think that a teal Classic with vibrato is going to be my next target. I’ll just be patient and enjoy my Deluxe until one appears for sale. That will give me the mahogany and color that I’m after. Good stuff…
Stella

Post by Stella »

This popped up today…looks like a really clean example of the guitar I want, but I don’t think I can go 4K:

https://reverb.com/item/43604576-parker ... t=43604576
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Stella wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:19 am This popped up today…looks like a really clean example of the guitar I want, but I don’t think I can go 4K:

https://reverb.com/item/43604576-parker ... t=43604576
Though it’s a seller’s market, everyone’s listing according to what the boldest price on the page is that day. I suggest you message them with your max bid and ask that they think of you if the listing ends up sitting.