Beat up Classic on the Bay

Have something Parker-related to sell? Post about it here. Three things you need to know:
1. This area is for Parker Guitars and related accessories only
2. Post a clear asking price
3. This site assumes no responsibility in these transactions
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Beat up Classic on the Bay

Post by Patzag »

https://ebay.us/sLmgie

Offered $1000 with shipping which I thought was more than fair for a beat up job. I want to cannibalize the guitar to make a super custom with P90s and other mods.
Instant reject. Wow. I thought I was being generous! Am I nuts?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Beat up Classic on the Bay

Post by vjmanzo »

If it were me, I think I’d offer about the same amount for a Fly in this condition, so definitely not nuts. I’d been looking at that one a while back when it was listed on eBay; I love a good low-priced beat-up Fly “project guitar”, but the condition also calls into question how well the frets/fretboard/neck were treated. For $1k plus tax, are you going to get this instrument home and discover that a few frets are loose? Maybe the truss is maxed out with high action???
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Yeah. Well I don't have the problem. He rejected the offer!
I really want to find a beater to have fun with.
I bought one that was in actually decent shape for $800.00 a few years ago. But these prices are now long gone!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

I, too, had been eyeing this beater for refinishing practice when it was listed a few months ago. When the listing was taken down, I ended up scoring my beautiful blue ‘97 Classic instead. It’s good to know I won’t have to waste my time bidding over a grand on it. That and I just emptied my Fly budget on another Strandberg. Me and my first world problems.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
ahmadimran

Post by ahmadimran »

Same here, considered it for my painted Parker Fly project, but at the end of the day still want it fully functioning, and without complicated problems.
Mr303
Forum Veteran

Post by Mr303 »

I watched that guitar on Craigslist for a year for only $50 less than that auction price.

Ha! Check out his other sale items!
All the guitars are on Denver CL.
But the Cheeto is a true measure of the seller imho....only $650!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Cheet ... SwrAldiVyR
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Yeah well - the guitar sold for $1500! It you can believe that!
That's the problem - unaware buyer inflating prices!

Oh that Cheeto thing! Incredible! What's worse, it'll probably sell!
ubik55

Post by ubik55 »

I'm sorry please don't hate me too much I know I'm not helping things, but I would say the real villains are those jerks charging three grand for a friggin basic Majik Blue Deluxe. As for the Cheeto thing... eh I dunno I guess that's a bit hard to defend. I did drop the price of the Cheeto!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

ubik55 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:37 am I'm sorry please don't hate me too much I know I'm not helping things, but I would say the real villains are those jerks charging three grand for a friggin basic Majik Blue Deluxe. As for the Cheeto thing... eh I dunno I guess that's a bit hard to defend. I did drop the price of the Cheeto!
Your wares/cheetos are worth whatever someone’s willing to pay. We’re all just salty that it’s no longer a buyer’s market for some of the best guitars ever made; and I expect listings to grow more egregious with each passing week (e.g. there’s currently a beater ‘94 deluxe missing a fret listed for around $700 more than yours was).
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

mmmguitar wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:56 am We’re all just salty that it’s no longer a buyer’s market for some of the best guitars ever made;
Ain’t that the truth! 😑
mmmguitar wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:56 am there’s currently a beater ‘94 deluxe missing a fret listed for around $700 more than yours was
Yes, I saw that listing; if I recall, it described the fret repair as “easy”, which is not the word I would use to describe that process.

The pricing certainly does some like an arms race as of late; sellers see other optimistic pricing set for comparable listings and price theirs just a bit higher. I have noticed, at least in the last two months, that the actual selling price seems to have come back to the early $2ks for good Flys, which is not so inflated. It certainly isn’t a buyer’s market, but, for a while there, all I saw were Flys listed for very hopeful $4k and 5k prices, and that seems to have subsided.

I’m also empathetic with folks who have been impacted by the pandemic and are trying to get everything they can and more from the sale of their Fly. I mean, it’s understandable, of course, so perhaps that has been a factor related to the sudden spike...hard to say for sure. I wonder how the Cheeto market has been affected 🙃

There was a Fly Stealth in good condition available for over three months at $4k; that’s, of course, a rarer model. No bites at that price, and it didn’t sell until the price dropped to $3k, which is about what it sold for new in 2000. Maybe it’s wishful thinking, but, to me, that’s a sign that Fly prices are not completely out of control. I could be wrong!

I hate to add additional points of blame, but I think increased “seller fees” get passed right on to the buyer. 😶
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

vjmanzo wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:17 am for a while there, all I saw were Flys listed for very hopeful $4k and 5k prices, and that seems to have subsided.
Nevermind. 😑 I’m wrong.