Keeping that Parker looking "fly"

General musical discussions that don't fall under other categories.
InsideInfo

Keeping that Parker looking "fly"

Post by InsideInfo »

Does anyone have any suggestions besides pickguards for keeping away those swirl marks?

Something like this or a maybe a better idea:

I can't believe I can only find two makers of cloth dust covers like this. I see a money making opportunity there!

This sucks, I can barely bring myself to play the mint parker for fear of EVERYTHING haha all the while singing "springs, pick swirls and frets (oh my!)".
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Keeping that Parker looking "fly"

Post by vjmanzo »

InsideInfo wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:47 am I can barely bring myself to play the mint parker for fear of EVERYTHING haha all the while singing "springs, pick swirls and frets (oh my!)".
I haven’t used those protectors, but I also don’t mind if my Flys get dinged because I’m never going to sell them. Are you a collector? If so, you might be better off getting a nice display case for the mint one you have and then buying another Fly that you don’t mind getting dinged.

Personally, and not to sound preachy: I view my Flys as tools; I do the best I can to make sure they look and perform great, but, as special as they are, they’re meant to be played. There’s a story of Ken doing a custom finish for an artist Parker Guitars endorsed, and the color was a really unique sort of red color. The artist said something to the extent of “it looks so nice—I’m almost afraid to play it!”, and, absolutely true story: @Ken Parker took out a pocket knife and put a huge scratch on it, and said, “There. Now you don’t need to be afraid to play it.”

The Fly is actually built to last as long as you maintain it properly—I did a post on some tips a short while ago that might help. If you follow those points, your Fly will be fine forever—even the spring! So don’t worry about it falling apart on you! Just play it like a beast, and, again, if you’re mindful about it getting damaged, there’s no shortage of “beater” Flys out there for you to scoop up (like many forum members here do!).
InsideInfo

Post by InsideInfo »

Oh gawd not the pocket knife 😅 that's a great story though lmao

You're right though I need to get over it. Just needed a little encouragement and tough love haha. Thanks man.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

InsideInfo wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:53 am Just needed a little encouragement and tough love haha. Thanks man.
Hahaha you got it! The truth is that I have to remind myself sometimes: it's only paint!
Notes_Norton
DragonFly Veteran

Post by Notes_Norton »

All my instruments, guitars, saxes, synths, flutes, are tools. I keep them in good working order and nice enough so they don't look neglected, but if they have wear and tear on them, it's just mojo. I use my tools to make a living (or did before COVID and hope to resume after).
Bob "Notes" Norton
Norton Music: http://www.nortonmusic.com Band-in-a-Box power user style software
Also The Sophisticats: http://www.s-cats.com
InsideInfo

Post by InsideInfo »

Right on man, I actually played it today. Might even have made a few pick marks lol baby steps!