Recommended polish for fly deluxe

General musical discussions that don't fall under other categories.
TalM

Recommended polish for fly deluxe

Post by TalM »

Hi,

Is there a recommended guitar polish product for the deluxe line? (I got a 97)
I am looking for a good polish material that may do some work on scratches to the paint (if there is something that good).

Thanks

Tal ;)
ahmadimran

Re: Recommended polish for fly deluxe

Post by ahmadimran »

Wondering the same actually.
ahmadimran

Post by ahmadimran »

Just checking in here again. Any recommendations for polishing products for Parker Fly body?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

I’ve never used any polish on my Flys; just a little water. I don’t know if there’s a rule about it—as long as nothing chemical-y touches the fingerboard, I think you’re good, as I mentioned: I’ve never used anything other than water.
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

Water and a microfiber cloth! I *once* got one that was so grimy that I could not successfully clean it and I used lemon oil sparingly. I was never able to clean the pickups or the bridge well enough so I sold it for $800! I think I bought it for $750! Those were the days!
just plain lost
ahmadimran

Post by ahmadimran »

vjmanzo wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:42 pm I’ve never used any polish on my Flys; just a little water. I don’t know if there’s a rule about it—as long as nothing chemical-y touches the fingerboard, I think you’re good, as I mentioned: I’ve never used anything other than water.
Thanks @vjmanzo and @jb63. Yup I read somewhere not to use anything chemical on the fingerboard, due to the possibility of frets coming loose, but was not sure about the body itself. Will use microfiber cloth and water as you recommend.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

You may clean or polish the body and neck of a Fly as you would any poly-finished guitar. The disclaimer about only using water was for the sake of absolving the now-defunct brand from liability to do with warranty claims resulting from user error. Just keep any solvents stronger than water away from the CF and CA and you’ll be fine. Also, never apply water directly to the frets or fingerboard - Only rub the guitarist goo away with a dry or slightly damp cloth.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Alejandro

Post by Alejandro »

You clean the body like you would any other guitar finished in polyurethane. In my view, water alone doesn't do the job. You would use any guitar polish/cleaner like the Dunlop 65. Personally, I add a few drops of rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol) to the already wet microfiber cloth. The mix of guitar polish/cleaner and a tiny amount of alcohol leaves the surface shiny and clean. The truth is, almost all guitar cleaners have already a tiny amount of alcohol in it. I just kinda 'reinforce' it with my own, lol (I love the effect of zero gunk on my guitars). Additionally, every Parker Fly I get goes through a buffing process here at home (I treat it like a sport car; get all the scratches removed with p2000 grit (wet) sandpaper and then apply an orbital buffer with buffing pads and polishing compounds). Trust me, it works; they end up looking brand new. After that, just keep them clean with the guitar cleaner and a drop of alcohol. Always use microfiber. Amazon sells great MF towels.