Hello from Spain! Can you help me?(Solved!)

Show and tell! This is a place to showcase your Parker guitar! New members are encouraged to introduce themselves here.
Slapguitar

Hello from Spain! Can you help me?(Solved!)

Post by Slapguitar »

Hello Parker Guitar fans.
I'm very pleased to see a forum like this, dedicated to this awesome guitar brand.
Maybe the only one that was truly focused on taking electric guitars to the next level, embracing technology and thinking ahead of it´s time.

I'm a very proud user of a Nitefly, it's an amazing machine and I enjoy it a lot, but I'm having a lot of trouble looking for information.
I don't seem to find the exact model or the year of manufacture, It doesen't look like any of the ones that are posted in this forum.
Can you help me find any info on this model? (Model name, Woods, pickups, Year, curiosities...)
I'm attaching some pictures for you to see the machine (I'ts my first time, I hope they upload correctly)

Thanks a lot! Take care!

Marc M. G.
Attachments
Parker Front
Parker Front
Parker Pickups
Parker Pickups
Parker Serial Number
Parker Serial Number
Parker Back
Parker Back
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Spain! Can you help me?

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @SlapGuitar, and welcome to the forum! So glad you’re here!

Great looking NiteFly! It appears to be a 2000 NiteFly with a passive piezo; somewhat unusual for the year, but that would make this an NFVM2. Here’s some info on the serial numbers and here’s a link to the document Parker Guitars created on the history of the NiteFly.
Slapguitar

Post by Slapguitar »

Thanks a lot VJManzo, great welcoming!

I've been looking through the catalogs and it seems to be a NiteFly Standard, they used a picture of a sunburst like mine in it. 8-)

This one doesn't have piezo, nor active neither passive, but they use the same tipe of bridge as far as I can see.

I'm completely in love with this instrument. I've owned a lot of guitars, classics such as Fenders Strats and Teles, an amazing Musicman Gamechanger and a curious JT Variax, but the smoothest and most reliable one is my Nitefly.

The day they closed Parker's bussines made me sad... I'd have loved to see this brand getting the recognition they deserve.

But the fact that there is a forum like this one tells a lot about the passion and love this guitars bring to the players.
Thanks a lot for this forum guys, keep up the good work!

Marc MG
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Thanks, @Slapguitar; great sentiments, and I agree: these are very special instruments, and it’s unfortunate that things didn’t go differently for Parker Guitars as a brand.

Ahhh I should have suspected as much—I don’t think I’ve ever seen a NiteFly Standard in the wild, so very cool that you have one! I know that having the piezo signal is not everyone’s thing, so Parker Guitars offered the Standard option for both the Fly and the NiteFly; the guitars are identical in every other way except for the electronics.

Congrats on on owning great instrument! I was a “Strat dude” for years, and I regard the NiteFly as “all of the things I love about Strats” and “none of the things I dislike about Strats!” 😝 Seems like you have similar feelings 🙃
MadMac

Re: Hello from Spain! Can you help me?(Solved!)

Post by MadMac »

The day they closed Parker's bussines made me sad... I'd have loved to see this brand getting the recognition they deserve.
YES
i‘ll was really shocked... also as Ken left... where i‘ll got first time the feeling something goes wrong....
just bought a trans blue fly standard from 98‘ ... so rar this color for standard fly... think only two years available ...if ... only color is trans red for the standard fly...
because those instruments are the best to me...
owned some Strats and SG etc...
but nothing plays so well as a Fly !
nothing can touch it for weight and reliability/stability...
i‘m full in love with Parker guitars...
welcome to da club ;-)
M.
life is what you make it...
You should have no difficulty looking at stains on the walls or the ashes of a fire or the clouds or mud, and if you look closely at these things you will find wonderful new ideas, because the mind is stimulated by insignificant things to new inventions.
ahmadimran

Post by ahmadimran »

MadMac wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:35 am
just bought a trans blue fly standard from 98‘ ... so rar this color for standard fly... think only two years available ...if ... only color is trans red for the standard fly...
I love this colour! Congratulations. Where did you manage to get it from? Do show us when you receive it.
Slapguitar

Post by Slapguitar »

MadMac wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:35 am
but nothing plays so well as a Fly !
nothing can touch it for weight and reliability/stability...
i‘m full in love with Parker guitars...
100% Agree.
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I'ts very interesting to have this knowledge database of Parker guitars, as it's quite difficult to find anything useful on Google where the info os scattered all over the place.
Here in Europe it's very difficult to see anyone playing a Parker and nobody seems to like them much...
The looks might shock you, but the moment you try a Fly... you're hooked forever!

I'd like to ask about swapping my pickups for a more balanced and maybe "Stratty" sound.
Where do you think I should post this question?

Thanks a lot guys! Take care!

Marc M G
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

I'd like to ask about swapping my pickups for a more balanced and maybe "Stratty" sound.
Where do you think I should post this question?
Here seems as good a place as any. The good news is that any pickups can go in your NiteFly. Do you have any particular ideal strat sounds or pickup brands, for reference? And do you prefer true single coils or ones with humcancelling?
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

+1 for @mmmguitar’s comments

For reference: the original NiteFly pickups were DiMarzio Blue Velvet’s; @Ken Parker auditioned many different pickups from many different brands and the Blue Velvet pickups were his favorite.
Slapguitar

Post by Slapguitar »

Hi there guys, sorry for the delay!
Thanks a lot for your answers, your help is amazing and very welcome! @vjmanzo and @mmmguitar's

I've been playing my NiteFly since I wrote my comment and I've been growing more confort and trust in the tone I get from my guitar.
Maybe I shouldn't change the neck pickup although if I can ask anithyng from it is more spark and les bottom.
Or a tighter bottom to match with the other pickups, especially with the bridge that sounds way thinner.

Also, I'm a very percussive and funk-rock player that loves to play almost always in the neck position and wants it to behave like an all arround pickup.
So when I'm playing some palm mutes or some fast licks it gets muddy with distortion (crunch), because (I think) of the bottom end being too big or too loose.

What do you think? Any experience with an issue like mine?

And talking about the bridge PU, what do you reccomend for a bigger and bolder sound?

I cannot be more thankful for @vjmanzo info abour the DiMarzio Blue Velvet, that's a good starting point to know what caracteristics I alredy have and use this info to find a more suited PU for me.

I will open my Parker to see what's inside and also check the PU, maybe there's some info written on them!

Take care guys! Thanks a lot!

MMG
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @Slapguitar,

Great questions and thanks for the context about your playing style.

I feel strongly that the most significant timbre change you can make to the Fly or NiteFly is to change the strings to a different brand, material, and/or gauge. The manual suggests D’Addario strings as that’s what Ken used in the factory and still uses today. I use those strings myself and I’m quite happy with the tone, but, even within the D’Addario brand, there are many many different lines of strings made of different material: pure nickel, steel, flatwound, etc. For very little money and time invested you can experiment with a variety of starkly different timbres. There are obviously many other string manufacturers out there besides D’Addario. If you find a set you like, you can then have the guitar properly set up to accommodate whatever new strings you choose. Simply, easy, and lots of fun!

If you’re sure that the pickups have to be changed, then I’d first experiment with adjusting the pickup height. Dimarzio knows what they’re doing with regard to pickups, and the ones you have are no exception! They will respond timbrally to the string depending on how close or far it is from the strings, so if you need more gain, raise it a little higher—a little goes a long way!

Hope this helps!!
Slapguitar

Post by Slapguitar »

Wow! That was fast! :D @vjmanzo

I'll try different string sets to see if I can get closer to "my sound", thanks for the advise man ;)

About lowering or rising th pickups, I don't think it's going to fix a thin bridge pickup or a bold neck one, but it's worth trying as it's quiete easy to do.
Deffinetly something to try before swapping pickups

I was browsing DiMarzio's website to check the Blue Velvet you mentioned. It seems they are no longer abailible. I'll keepo looking for the chart and specks to know how they respond.
Now DiMarzio has the True Velvet, that's presented as a "new and better version for the Blue Velvet".

Is there anything to consider regards string spacing when it comes to a Parker NiteFly? Is it standar, F spaced, other?

Thanks a lot guys! You are amazing!

MMG
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Happy to help, @Slapguitar!

Interestingly, if a pickup is too close to the strings, the magnets will actually pull on the strings while they’re moving, which is not something you want. There’s also a proximity effect whereby higher frequencies are much louder than the bass frequencies, so lowering the pickup will reduce the overall output gain, but just by a small amount, and when you increase you amp gain to compensate, the relative frequency content will potentially be more balanced.

Yes, I’ve wanted to check out the True Velvet pickups! If you end up going for them, let us know!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

I’m here, too, @Slapguitar!

The Blue Velvet was discontinued in 2008. The True Velvets supposedly have less bass and a slightly higher output than the BV. If you end up auditioning new pickups, I suggest replacing only one at a time - If the neck pickup is what you play most of the time, focus on finding one you’re content with before you start looking for a bridge pup that balances with it.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Slapguitar

Post by Slapguitar »

Hi there @mmmguitar!

Awesome information man, I appreciate it a lot.
I'll follow your tip and I'll focus on finding the perfect neck pick for me.

It seems that the True Velvet will focus the tone and make it sharper and thus getting a more defined distortion (or less muddy).
Have you swapped any of yours? Do you think that by modifying the height of the pickup I can get a difference in tone besides different output?

This Parker Group is amazing, you really make a difference guys.
Thanks a lot!

Take care!
MMG
Slapguitar

Post by Slapguitar »

Oh, @vjmanzo, I didn't see your last message, sorry mate.

Thanks for the info regarding pickup height, it's a very important place to start.
I'll definetly try lowering the bridge to see if some of the highs gets tamed.

I've been reading some interesting things in DiMarzio's website about some of their Pickups beeing "low pull" without losing power or the rest of convinient characteristics, like the Area 58/61/70 for example.

Take care guys, you're the best!

MMG
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Happy to help, @Slapguitar! Keep us posted!