Fly modding service

Have something Parker-related to sell? Post about it here. Three things you need to know:
1. This area is for Parker Guitars and related accessories only
2. Post a clear asking price
3. This site assumes no responsibility in these transactions
dayn
Forum Veteran

Fly modding service

Post by dayn »

Want a PTP re-wire of your Fly (could be because a part or pot failed, ribbon broke, you want to add 13-pin, etc)? I’m happy to help!

I’ve currently got 4 Flys in my modding queue, but happy to consult with you about your project and reserve you a place in line.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Fly modding service offer - FREE (kind of)

Post by vjmanzo »

:o

Sounds like a good deal, @dayn!
dayn
Forum Veteran

Post by dayn »

vjmanzo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:33 pm :o

Sounds like a good deal, @dayn!
The lengths we will go to, to get our hands on a 30 year old piece of plastic...
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

...and copper!
just plain lost
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

@dayn, this seems like a push I need; considering how many guitar projects I have waiting for me to turn my nose up at each weekend. PM sent.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Barndoyle

Re: Fly modding service

Post by Barndoyle »

I've got two 1998 Classic Mahogany Flys that have no signal to the output jack, local technicians are unable to determine cause. Where are you located? I'm in Northern California, trying not to ship my guitars - last two shipments, FedEx "lost" them both... Need to either repair or replace with the GraphTech parts...
Thanks,
BD
dayn
Forum Veteran

Post by dayn »

Hi BD,

I am in Seattle. People ship me guitars all the time to work on, but that is up to you.

Could be a simple fix for them, but unsure without seeing pictures or hearing more of a description of what specifically is happening with each.

Send me a message if you want to chat about the Fly's.

-Dayn
Barndoyle

Post by Barndoyle »

Hey Dayn,

Thanks for replying... I tried another shop/tech yesterday and he was able to get one working - had to replace the output jack. It works, except the battery doesn't last very long now. I've just purchased a battery cable connection to run the 9V power from my pedal board, tired of dead batteries. The other one just stopped producing any sound/signal to the output jack, and both techs couldn't find any loose wires, damaged ribbons or funky solder points. Both are Classic Mahogany, actually made the same day in 1998... I can take some pics of the electronics, if you think that might show something... Any suggestions for things to look for that might be causing no signal?
What are your rates? I know the original replacement parts are really scarce, and have been considering just starting over with the GraphTech system, but obviously would prefer to have it work as before...
Within two years, FedEx lost/misplaced two guitar shipments and it took over 6 weeks for them to finally be delivered. I started to process a claim for the Fly shipment and they denied it, before I mysteriously got the guitar back... And I won't ship via UPS, due to other major issues with them when I had my own business... So, I'll have to figure some way to get the guitar to you...
Appreciate your time and help, these are my favorite guitars...
Barney
dayn
Forum Veteran

Post by dayn »

I'm glad the tech was able to get the signal working by replacing the jack, though if the battery is over-draining, then it isn't fully fixed yet, even if you plan to get power from your pedal board. I'd want to track that down so it was running right regardless. Sometimes techs unfamiliar with Fly's may replace the jack or other parts incorrectly, with wrong wiring or wrong spec parts.

I typically do extensive mods and re-wires for Fly friends. Basic repairs might not be cost effective given shipping costs. That might make the best place to start to be showing pics of each guitar cavity here on FlyClone so all the good Fly minds here can offer ideas on what might be going on. It may be worth starting a new thread about the two Classics in a non-Classifieds section to get people's attention.

Hoping we can help get your Fly's running again.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

dayn wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:44 pm That might make the best place to start to be showing pics of each guitar cavity here on FlyClone so all the good Fly minds here can offer ideas on what might be going on. It may be worth starting a new thread about the two Classics in a non-Classifieds section to get people's attention.
+1 for this! @Barndoyle, you’re in good hands with @dayn!

This link will get you started with a new post in the Fly “Tech Talk” section:
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

Its not an out of place comment to post here that I love the USPS Priority mail system when shipping guitars. They move them by plane and have never let me down. The max insurance amount covered is only up to $2k though, and that might be a dealbreaker. I've only had excellent results with the USPS.
just plain lost
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

jb63 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:44 pm I love the USPS Priority mail system when shipping guitars.
Same here! I’ve been disappointed with the big name shippers on multiple occasions, but I agree with jb63: if the insurance cap isn’t a dealbreaker, I trust Newman with any guitar I’m shipping!
dayn
Forum Veteran

Post by dayn »

+1 on USPS Priority Mail, I've also had good results with them.

On the insurance cap thing, this morning I just shipped a vintage Strat (that I had reassembled for someone after a refinish) to Hawaii via USPS Priority Mail, and they were happy to take $59 to pay for $4,000 of insurance for it.
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

Newman!
just plain lost
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

😂