WTB: Non-OEM Fly pickups

Have something Parker-related to sell? Post about it here. Three things you need to know:
1. This area is for Parker Guitars and related accessories only
2. Post a clear asking price
3. This site assumes no responsibility in these transactions
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

WTB: Non-OEM Fly pickups

Post by mmmguitar »

Hello, all. One of Dimarzio’s more prominent retailers has informed me that, unfortunately, all orders remain backlogged by at least six months, due to COVID’s impact earlier in the year (with June through November’s orders still having not been fulfilled). I had been hoping to order some Fly-mount versions of the Bluesbucker, Air Classic, 36th Ann. PAF, etc. - Yes; my preferences lean toward the lower output-side.

If anyone is willing to part with, or knows any US-based sellers of, some Fly-ready pickups other than Gen 1/2 Dimarzios, please post or PM. In the meantime, I’ll be modifying some pickups to fit Fly routs.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: WTB: Non-OEM Fly pickups

Post by vjmanzo »

That’s a bummer about Dimarzio being backordered, @mmmguitar, but I suppose the good news is that Dimarzio is still going strong despite the pandemic!

I only have the usual suspects in my Flys as well as a few other Dimarzio models wound for Fly, so I’d be curious what you find. I will say that Bob Palmieri, whose company Duneland Labs designed the Bronzeville pickup for @Ken Parker’s archtops, makes incredible pickups with very cutting edge magnet implementations. Bob worked on the Fly pickups back in the ‘80s and his Blackpole pickups are outrageous; I have a set in my SG. Very responsive and just great! Bob is reportedly working on a “Flying Blackpole” variant of his pickups for the Fly, so that might be something to look out for if nothing comes across your radar sooner!
lerxst6

Post by lerxst6 »

I sent an inquiry to Seymour Duncan and haven’t heard a peep back. That was 3-4 weeks ago.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

lerxst6 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:23 pm I sent an inquiry to Seymour Duncan and haven’t heard a peep back. That was 3-4 weeks ago.
We’ll see if I resort to winding my own in the meantime.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

mmmguitar wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:38 pm We’ll see if I resort to winding my own in the meantime.
That could be a fun project!

Finding a used Seymour Duncan is also an option; I’ve only modified one Duncan for a Fly and it was pretty easy if you’re replacing Duncans in a Mojo (or one of the late Flys that has Duncans). You just have to make sure you get the F-Spaced version for bridge pickups.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

I think everyone gradually came around to how much more convenient that is. Alas, my Flys are all Dimarzio-mount.
dayn
Forum Veteran

Post by dayn »

I worked with Pete Biltoft many years ago to get him a set of Fly pickups so he can measure them to make custom pickups.

He has made me p90s, Charlie Christian blade pickups, and humbuckers, all that drop right into the Dimarzio rout.

He is your best bet for something, and he is fast too. His company is Vintage Vibe Pickups.

I’ve owned dozens of his pickups for both Fly and non-Fly guitars, incredible stuff.
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

How did the P90s sound? That's a pretty interesting approach.
just plain lost
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

I think I remember you selling that one a few years back, @dayn; was it emerald green?
dayn
Forum Veteran

Post by dayn »

jb63 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:55 pm How did the P90s sound? That's a pretty interesting approach.
The P90s sounded incredible! I had that in the bridge with a CC in the neck.
dayn
Forum Veteran

Post by dayn »

vjmanzo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:04 pm I think I remember you selling that one a few years back, @dayn; was it emerald green?
I actually did two over the years with P90/CC pickups. A green tremolo Deluxe a couple years ago, and a green hardtail Standard (non piezo) Deluxe about 10-15 years ago.
dayn
Forum Veteran

Post by dayn »

vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

🤤 ...and I do love a good Fly Hardtail! 10 years too late, I guess 😑
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Ah. I remember those custom pickups from the old site. I’ll definitely try to keep Pete in mind, this time.

Right now, the plan is to modify different F-spaced pickups I have laying around and audition them in my Flys until I find combos I’m happy with. From there, I’ll start installing Ghost/Hexpander systems, then Sustainiacs - All just to feel better about not having a Belew model.