Three-Ridge Spring Plate with Bumper

Post by vjmanzo »

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 1.09.03 PM.png

See also: the Anatomy of a Fly
NailCommunication

Re: Three-Ridge Spring Plate with Bumper

Post by NailCommunication »

Couple questions:

1: Do you know when the three-ridge spring plates went from being manufactured with bumpers to without? Because I have a refined fly with a bumper on the spring plate and can't recall ever seeing a plate without a bumper.

2: Does it matter which of the three ridges the flat spring is set into? The manuals didn't say anything but there was a diagram of the vibrato system with the spring in the bottom groove.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

NailCommunication wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:55 pm 1: Do you know when the three-ridge spring plates went from being manufactured with bumpers to without? Because I have a refined fly with a bumper on the spring plate and can't recall ever seeing a plate without a bumper.
I believe they all have the bumper, but I’d have to verify that. We have this modeled without the bumper as well, and I believe that’s why we have both models displayed.
NailCommunication wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:55 pm 2: Does it matter which of the three ridges the flat spring is set into? The manuals didn't say anything but there was a diagram of the vibrato system with the spring in the bottom groove.
Putting the spring in the highest ridge will increase the amount of resistance required to move the bridge forward. If you don’t use the vibrato very much and prefer to put more effort into moving the vibrato arm forward while using it, the topmost ridge will change the feel by increasing the resistance.
NailCommunication

Have you noticed a difference in form or function with the non-bumpered plates?

Oh and you're talking the ridge closest to the end that has the most resistance, I take it.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

NailCommunication wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:56 am Have you noticed a difference in form or function with the non-bumpered plates?
The non-bumpered plate, I believe/am suggesting, is only a representation with the 3D model we generated, and wouldn’t touch the step-stop, and therefore would only float (never be fixed).
NailCommunication wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:56 am you're talking the ridge closest to the end that has the most resistance, I take it.
Yes—this would angle the spring toward the top of the guitar, and would increase the resistance required to bend the bridge forward.
NailCommunication

Thanks VJ! That helps clear things up
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

No problem! 🙏 The least I could do since the confusion was essentially all my fault! 🤦‍♂️ 😊
NailCommunication

Something's been on my mind, though: For the non-bumpered plates (that are to keep the bridge in a perma-float state) how is the guitar to be tuned?
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

NailCommunication wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:29 am Something's been on my mind, though: For the non-bumpered plates (that are to keep the bridge in a perma-float state) how is the guitar to be tuned?
As one would tune a NiteFly or any other floating trem (i.e. extra steps of trial and error in balancing string and spring tension). The Fly bumper/step-stop (as well as the tension wheel) is for the sake of making setups easier - they’re quality-of-life innovations, but unnecessary for the trem to function (much like adding an aftermarket trem stabilizer to a strat or Floyd Rose trem to improve performance or ease of restringing).
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory