Bad Neck

Discussions of the NiteFly NFV1-8, NFV-M, and NFV-SA models
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Bad Neck

Post by Patzag »

Hello Parker friends!

So I inherited a nitefly. Problem is the neck is screwed up. Someone tightened the rod to the point that the neck is bent at the 6th or 7th fret and the guitar is more or less unusable.
Any ideas on either repairing the neck or is there someone around here that has a spare neck they'd like to sell or donate to a good cause?
I'm trying to fix her up to give it to a Church that's asking for a decent guitar.

Cheers,
Patrick
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Bad Neck

Post by vjmanzo »

Hey @Patzag; sounds like a very generous thing you’re doing, man!

I had experience with a Fly neck that was bent from someone misusing the truss, and my technician very carefully used clamps to bend the neck back over the course of several days. Not sure how practical/applicable that would be for your situation.

Keep us posted!
Barry
PM20 Expert

Post by Barry »

A warped neck is a serious problem alright, but in most cases baring any structural damage, you should be able to "encourage" it back to normal using, as the tech did, clamps and a straight surface. And yes, the key is gently and slowly over time.

I would also consider increasing the humidity which can help make the wood relax. Wrapping it in a plastic bag with a damp sponge should do it. And a reminder to check that the truss rod is loose before beginning.
Good luck!
Love one woman, many guitars.
Or, was it the other way around?

Guitars: https://legend.barryeames.com
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Thanks Guys.
I'll give it a shot.