Tremolo Stabilizer (Super-Vee Mag-Lok)

Discussions of the NiteFly NFV1-8, NFV-M, and NFV-SA models
JJ

Tremolo Stabilizer (Super-Vee Mag-Lok)

Post by JJ »

Hello Folks, I have an issue with all my Nitefly guitars, when I perform a double-stop bend, it goes out of tune, so, I thought to install a tremolo stabilizer (such as the Mag-Lok or Tremsetter) to solve this issue, the problem is that the Nitefly doesn't have any wood to secure the stabilizer, has anyone ever installed a Mag-Lok or similar into a Nitefly? Maybe using some kind of bracket, do I need other modifications to fit such a device? any advice? Thanks!
In the Nitefly you can see the pickups from the back of the guitar, there is no wood between the springs and the pickups
In the Nitefly you can see the pickups from the back of the guitar, there is no wood between the springs and the pickups
This is how the stabilizer should be installed, it's screwed into the guitar cavity
This is how the stabilizer should be installed, it's screwed into the guitar cavity
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Tremolo Stabilizer (Super-Vee Mag-Lok)

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @JJ; I have a Tremol-no installed in my NiteFly:
22A34F53-8BD5-4BDC-A3B6-EF8B9B78BC90.jpeg
It works well to block the bridge—a block of wood would do the same. I haven’t use it to also allow bending up and down.

FWIW, I only did this because the NiteFly I have, which I purchased used 1) has a stripped “step-stop” screw (shown below) that I didn’t bother to fix/replace because 2) I don’t use the vibrato very much.
080C53BB-1476-4055-BB15-AB15986E8D76.png
In principle, you can adjust the step-stop in your NiteFly to allow “bend down” only, which will allow you to have more pitch stability when bending.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Hey @vjmanzo, thanks for your response, the Tremol-No is a very good device, unfortunately, is not exactly what I am looking for in this case because as far as I know, when engaged, it will disable the bend up mode of the bridge, and I use it a lot, I basically want floating mode without the strings and bridge sagging forward when a bend is performed, just like the Tremsetter does (and Mag-Lok).

I was thinking if maybe using some kind of bracket to provide a mounting surface will make this work, some tinkering and drilling will be needed but I think is well worth, I will start working on this but there is no rush since I don't have any access here to the Mag-Lok or the Tremsetter and need to wait until my next trip to the USA within the next few weeks to get one, until then I will keep using other guitars for those licks with double-stop bends :lol:

I will post an update when I get some news about this!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

I understand— others here may have some thoughts on this; keep us posted.

Are you certain that the bridge, as is, can’t be set up to be more stable while bending? The nature of any floating bridge is such that strings will change tension while others are bending, but the step-stop in the NiteFly can be adjusted to set some limits on how much the bridge can float. Here’s a guide on how to set up the vibrato for a Fly; it can be adapted for a NiteFly.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Thanks for such a comprehensive guide!, I will check it out tonight and see what happens, hoping the best!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Happy to help! Please keep us posted!
JJ

Post by JJ »

Hello again, sorry for taking so long, things got busy here, but after a while, I performed several tests on two different guitars following the guide, and still remains the same: double-stop bends are out of tune, but the bright side is that when I use the tremolo arm, it stays in tune, so that's good!
I think I have to give that bracket a chance and install the Mag-Lok, unless someone has a better idea :D any feedback will be appreciated!