Hornet PM20 Bridge Bushing Thread Size?

PM10s, PM20s, PDFs, and all other P Series guitars and basses
Marshalllaw6278

Hornet PM20 Bridge Bushing Thread Size?

Post by Marshalllaw6278 »

I am currently in the process of replacing all the hardware on one of my Hornet PM20s, and I am wondering if anyone knows the size of the Tune-O-Matic bushings and/or threads? I purchased a bridge from Stew Mac, thinking they would all be the same, but found that the new bridge posts do not fit in the existing bushings. The new posts are far too small. Does anyone know what size they might be? Any insight would be greatly appreciated :D
Barry
PM20 Expert

Re: Hornet PM20 Bridge Bushing Thread Size?

Post by Barry »

I have a PM20 but I can't tell you off hand what the bridge post diameters are, and I have no reliable way to measure it for you.

But I can tell you this: in an old 2005 post reconstruction I uploaded a few years back, a previous member shared that he was faced with the same issue as you--the new posts were smaller than the original inserts.

In his case he was upgrading to a Schaller roller saddle design and the posts were too small.
His solution? He found that he was able to gently tap the new Schaller inserts into the original Parker inserts! Apparently it was a snug fit, which is not a bad thing, and he was able then to simply screw the new bridge in place with no modifications.

Seems like an elegant solution. Your mileage may vary. ;)

p.s. The bridge on the upgraded PM20 Pro model was a Tone Pros if that helps. From memory some members also upgraded their PM20 with that bridge. Can't say it was a direct replacement but I suspect it may have been. You might check out the specs for a clue.
"A little song, a little dance, A little seltzer down your pants" -Chuckles the Clown
Guitars: https://legend.barryeames.com
Marshalllaw6278

Re: Hornet PM20 Bridge Bushing Thread Size?

Post by Marshalllaw6278 »

Barry wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:50 pm I have a PM20 but I can't tell you off hand what the bridge post diameters are, and I have no reliable way to measure it for you.

But I can tell you this: in an old 2005 post reconstruction I uploaded a few years back, a previous member shared that he was faced with the same issue as you--the new posts were smaller than the original inserts.

In his case he was upgrading to a Schaller roller saddle design and the posts were too small.
His solution? He found that he was able to gently tap the new Schaller inserts into the original Parker inserts! Apparently it was a snug fit, which is not a bad thing, and he was able then to simply screw the new bridge in place with no modifications.

Seems like an elegant solution. Your mileage may vary. ;)

p.s. The bridge on the upgraded PM20 Pro model was a Tone Pros if that helps. From memory some members also upgraded their PM20 with that bridge. Can't say it was a direct replacement but I suspect it may have been. You might check out the specs for a clue.
That's funny because I have also purchased a Schaller roller bridge, and I also tried tapping the posts in, but with bridge as low as it can possibly go, the action is just a hair too high for my tastes. I tried thinking of a way to lower it, but I can't think of anything other than getting a bridge that will fit properly in the threads of the older bridge posts.